5w30 or 5w40?

S3 finatic

Limp mode
Reaction score
Hi all, i know this has been discussed numeurous times, but for some reason today i keep getting soory nothing found when using the search function.

I own a 54 plate A3 2.0L TDI 140 sport, with 120k on the clock. It recommends using 5w30 or 504vw - 507vw oil.
I can get 5w40 for the same price and used this in my S3, even though it recommended 5w30 for that.

What would be the best one to go for?
And i can get 5w30 castrol magnetic really cheap, never tried it, so would it be ok in my car?

Thanks in advance.

At a 120k on the clock i would go for a 5w/40 or even a 10w/40 simply because its thicker and will give you better pressure in a worn pump and bearings and less leakage past worn rings etc.

I'm running the castrol 5w 30, but mines done 65k and I change my oil every 4 months, bit extreem perhaps, but this stems from my Subaru days! I know our cars dont run as hot as a petrol turbo, but they soot the oil and turn it black very quickly after changing it... Id agree with paddy as per your mileage, or more frequent changing if you decide on the Magnatec

I put castrol 5w30 in. And I will be changing mine every 6 months.
Thanks for your replys..