5th gear (TV show)

• Thread starter Deleted member 22276
  • Start date
Tim Lovejoy + fifth gear = unwatchable program...

Hit the nail on the head MB! He can't even read an autocue! and if you need proof, just watch "something for the weekend" on beeb2 Sunday morning.

That's what Top Gear used to be like, many years ago.
"The new Mondeo has 50 litres more boot space than the last one and all the controls fall readily to hand..."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:lazy:

The simple fact of the matter is that a fact-based car programme just does not cut it any more.
They need to entertain.
Top Gear entertains very successfully.
Pointless as many of their japes are, they can be genuinely astonishing.
I was gobsmacked when they got a Toyota pickup over the English channel.
I actually, genuinely, gave them a round of applause at home.
How often does that happen in connection with modern TV?
I was then awestruck by their programme about driving to the North Pole.
Both genuinely inspirational, funny, entertaining and moving pieces of TV.
5th Gear doesn't even come close to those levels.

I don't usually agree with you, but spot on!

What made me laugh (and it really did) was that you were asked if you knew him well and the first word of your response was "Yeah" as in a shortened down way of saying "Yes I do know him well". But then it was followed immediately by "I've met him a few times".

It's like those people who go on about how special Diana was, based on the fact she wafted by them in a hospital ward.:think:

That's what Top Gear used to be like, many years ago.
"The new Mondeo has 50 litres more boot space than the last one and all the controls fall readily to hand..."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:lazy:

The simple fact of the matter is that a fact-based car programme just does not cut it any more.
They need to entertain.
Top Gear entertains very successfully.
Pointless as many of their japes are, they can be genuinely astonishing.
I was gobsmacked when they got a Toyota pickup over the English channel.
I actually, genuinely, gave them a round of applause at home.
How often does that happen in connection with modern TV?
I was then awestruck by their programme about driving to the North Pole.
Both genuinely inspirational, funny, entertaining and moving pieces of TV.
5th Gear doesn't even come close to those levels.

You are quoting 2 extremes, neither of which I personally want from a motoring show.

" 50 litres boot space....blah" I agree, boring indeed.

Getting a Toyota across the channel?, Mmmmm... Im not personaly interested in that neither, mildly entertaining yes (IMO of course, I channel hop most of these bits).

Somewhere in between is what I would idealy like to see. Like I said, `less` (certainly not NONE!) larking about, and make sure the larking about is car related. For instance, Porsches under a grand etc.

It doesnt change the fact that I still find it the best thing on TV and the only thing I ever make a point of watching.

PS - heads up on the next TG series, Clarkson races the space shuttle to the moon, in a Ferrari and wins. It will be repeated DAVE every day for the next 12years.....

Is that 12 light years :bye:

I disagree with the presenters being garnsih comments, this simple equation will hopefully explain it:

Tim Lovejoy + fifth gear = unwatchable program...

Ok, looks like differing views on what makes (or not) a motoring TV show, but I dont find Mr Lovejoy or any of the TG/5th Gear teams particularly irritating anyway.
HOWEVER, get Jade Goodie or similar moron on there and I will be switching off.....

Sorry, but you've taken it the wrong way.

What made me laugh (and it really did) was that you were asked if you knew him well and the first word of your response was "Yeah" as in a shortened down way of saying "Yes I do know him well". But then it was followed immediately by "I've met him a few times".

I just found that quite funny. I wasn't saying that you can't have formed an opinion of him.

Glad it made you laugh, though not totally sure why

May I ask how many times you think you need to meet someone so you can say that you know them well, just so I keep things in line next time?

Is there a total amount of time you need to meet someone for in order to form an opinion?!

Just kiddin :)

he is an **** though