5th gear (TV show)

• Thread starter Deleted member 22276
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22276

Just watching it now, anyone else notice it's becoming more and more like Top Gear? (cool camera angles and filters etc) Not that it's a bad thing, TG series are always over far too soon, 5th is a good suppliment!

Coming up is the 911 Tub vs the GT-R, should be interesting.

Yeah, its not perfect by any means but a least a series of 5th gear lasts for a good number of weeks!!

Fifth Gear has improved greatly over the years. Still think Top Gear is the best thing on TV but the understudy is still worth watching!

I really dont like 5th Gear but its to do with motoring so I will watch it if there isnt anything else on.

Senna looked pretty good thrashing the new GT-R around the track, deffo a future F1 star IMO.

Tiff's on 5th gear and for that reason alone its a **** TV program

heheh enjoyed the birds and tiff taking them roudn hehehe

I think 5th gear is so much better than TG. No one can drive on TG apart from stig! Everything else is out of my price range...... :-(

im starting to like 5th gear more now. topgear spends too much time away from actuall cars. i like the shootout on the "everyday" cars they do. give you a good indicator of how quick things really are e.g. vxr nurburgring vs focus st that was a suprise.

What I want to know is where has Vicki B-H gone?

I miss that cheeky squeaking laugh of hers...

Cheers,

she was on it last night bud. she was doing the colin mcrae tribute and the vxr vs focus st

5th gear is a load of old tosh, the only way I can watch it is via Sky+

They are trying to hard to be top gear. I'd have more respect for the program if they did their own thing.

On the plus side Tom seems be a bit better at presenting this year, there's less of VBH and Tiff's input is also dwindling.

J.

5th gear was pure quality last night, the way Tiff was ripping that M3 with the birds in it was just classic, he just knows how to handle a car...with ease!!!

A good car programme after a long time, even though TG is good, 5th Gear is finally getting there...

You know Tiff well I presume?

You don't need to know him to watch and listen to him on TV... Last nights program was a prime example. When he doesn't try to hard he's a decent presenter, unfortunately the last few show's he's been trying way too hard to be hip and cool.

J.

You don't need to know him to watch and listen to him on TV... Last nights program was a prime example. When he doesn't try to hard he's a decent presenter, unfortunately the last few show's he's been trying way too hard to be hip and cool.

J.

It amuses me how he keeps on bragging about being an F1 driver. In reality, he only ever drove 2 races for the Ensign team, failing to finish in the Belgium GP, then failing to qualify for the Monaco GP, after which he was fired !

5th Gear is just tedius crap, and not even remotely in the same league as TG in my opinion.

she was on it last night bud. she was doing the colin mcrae tribute and the vxr vs focus st

Ah! Have not watched it yet. Sitting on the Sky+ box..

Was out enjoying the good weather round Oxford on the bike last night.

Cheers,

agree tiffs trying too hard to be hip but in all fairness its a show and probs all for the camers. in all he's still a better driver then clarkson hammond and may

i'm starting to like it more this time around, but again i'm not a tiff fan ever since he pushed mansel into the wall at donnigton park in the BTCC, what really gets me is how they pick cars that are great on the track but make no comment about how good they are on the road. I watch it purely because of plato, with TG, its becoming boring, its either a supercar or they are trying to do something stupid, once in a series is ok but it seems every other week now.

i agree steve theres no inbetween. to be honest i wasnt impressed atall with the last series of top gear. they spend more time dicking around rather then talking about cars people want to hear about. dont get me wrong i love top gear and watch all the time on dave but when you watch some of the older episodes you see how crap the recent ones have become!

Have a look for some of the old TG episodes with the likes of Quentin Wilson. They used to thrash the cars round public roads and actually talk indepth about the car.

It was literally just a tv programme with about half a dozen reviews in it.

I think TG has just modernised as it isnt just about the cars anymore, its about the banter down the pub after the drive!

I dont think TG should change as it will become something its not. If your after proper reviews just go watch Autocar on youtube.

5th gear is a load of old tosh, the only way I can watch it is via Sky+

On the plus side Tom seems be a bit better at presenting this year, there's less of VBH and Tiff's input is also dwindling.

J.

Sky+ for me too, with fast forward held down most of the time....
They could replace Tom with JLC and no one would notice!

I think 5th gear has vastly improved this series, it may be copying some of TG's format but to be fair there is far more actual car content in 5th gear, last nights episode had me laughing out loud and I particularly like the Plato v Needell shoot outs.

Tiff may be a 'failed' racing driver in some peoples eyes but lets get things straight, Tiff can make a car do things we could only dream of, agree though VBH is an annoying cow.

Top gear will always wear the crown from an entertainment perspective but 5th gear gets my vote for content.

Spin

I think 5th gear has vastly improved this series, it may be copying some of TG's format but to be fair there is far more actual car content in 5th gear, last nights episode had me laughing out loud and I particularly like the Plato v Needell shoot outs.

Tiff may be a 'failed' racing driver in some peoples eyes but lets get things straight, Tiff can make a car do things we could only dream of, agree though VBH is an annoying cow.

Top gear will always wear the crown from an entertainment perspective but 5th gear gets my vote for content.

Spin

No doubt, he can get a car VERY sideways,

As for content, last nights episode was the only one in ages I've watched something in each of the gaps between the adverts, the rest of the time its very lame

Have to agree on this occasion, i dont EVER miss car programmes, but this series I havent even bothered, only after i saw what was on it did i carry on watching it and was pleasantly surprised, i still think Tiff is a good driver, from a sideways pov, he is the man.

I still think they try too hard.
Some of their ideas of 'wacky japes' are just embarrassing.
Like a nerdy music teacher thinking his acoustic version of Rage Against The Machine will make him down with the kids.
Women in the back of an M3 around a track?
What was the point of that?
They've done it before as well, with VBH in a Ford S-Max around Rockingham, with some grannies in the back.
It was just as pointless and unfunny then.
As for that fat gimp doing 9k of damage to a Ford Kuga, that was just daft too.
Do Ford sell it as a viable off-roader?
No, so why take it over ground that a Landie would baulk at?
Stupid.
It doesn't help that I have an almost uncontrollable urge to slap the mutton-chopped, 7-stone youngster they have.:gun2:

Both shows have cars in them so I watch them. Presenters, good or bad, are just garnish for me.
Agree TG is more entertaining but its losing its way IMO with too few cars, and to much car un-related dicking about.
Who remembers the road building episode, what is that all about? and who cares anyway?

I dont like the way 5th Gear judges cars purely on track times and ability to go sideways. Its certainly and indicator but not a basis to decide whether one car is `better` than another.
Whats the point of featuring more `accessible` cars, then using a completely flawed criteria for evaluting them.
The Kuga might be crap off road, but who cares, it will hardly any ever go there anyway.
The new Lexus might be crap on a track, but who cares.....you get my point.

Still watch both shows though, just would prefer it if the larking about could be thinned out a bit and was more `car` related.

Paul

PS - heads up on the next TG series, Clarkson races the space shuttle to the moon, in a Ferrari and wins. It will be repeated DAVE every day for the next 12years.....

I disagree with the presenters being garnsih comments, this simple equation will hopefully explain it:

Tim Lovejoy + fifth gear = unwatchable program...

But "met him a few times" is enough to get an idea of what he's like is it not?

J.

Spot on. You only need a single meeting with someone to decide if they are a knobhead or not. If they are there's no second meeting.

Still watch both shows though, just would prefer it if the larking about could be thinned out a bit and was more `car` related.

Paul

That's what Top Gear used to be like, many years ago.
"The new Mondeo has 50 litres more boot space than the last one and all the controls fall readily to hand..."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:lazy:

The simple fact of the matter is that a fact-based car programme just does not cut it any more.
They need to entertain.
Top Gear entertains very successfully.
Pointless as many of their japes are, they can be genuinely astonishing.
I was gobsmacked when they got a Toyota pickup over the English channel.
I actually, genuinely, gave them a round of applause at home.
How often does that happen in connection with modern TV?
I was then awestruck by their programme about driving to the North Pole.
Both genuinely inspirational, funny, entertaining and moving pieces of TV.
5th Gear doesn't even come close to those levels.