510 bhp RS3.

Go on,Warren...you know you want to...!

If the engine is built properly,and treated properly,there is no reason why it shouldn't last.....prior to my S3,I had 2 Cosworths running not far short of that power,and both were reliable,and fast.
That said,the A3 2.0T is not such a good platform to start with as the S3,and it would need a LOT of work to get anywhere near 500bhp.....there are a reasonable number of 500bhp S3s running around.
Audi just announced the success of the R8 LMS with the V10 and up to 520 hp. It celebrated the fact that it could go up to 12,000 miles before the engine has to be rebuilt. I wonder if Audi does not treat their engine properly? Too many miles between oil changes?

Audi just announced the success of the R8 LMS with the V10 and up to 520 hp. It celebrated the fact that it could go up to 12,000 miles before the engine has to be rebuilt. I wonder if Audi does not treat their engine properly? Too many miles between oil changes?

I know you quoted the R8 LMS,but you do know that it's essentially a customer spec GT3 racer.

12 000 miles between engine rebuilds on one of those is quite an achievement and well worth reporting......there is a world of difference between an engine that's raced with 500bhp,and a road engine with 500bhp,as the road going engine won't be subject to anything like the loads and stresses of the race engine.

Most race engines at that sort of level will have oil changes after every race or at least race weekend.

Audi R8 LMS < Audi Motorsport < Audi innovation < Audi UK

Last edited: