500 Miles...

cuke2u

Reaction score
Well having owned my A4 for just over a month now I have just passed the 500 mile mark, maybe I should get out more?
Perhaps we should have a running thread for the minimum/maximum mileages on our cars...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
You're not alone @cuke2u I've done reviews of my S4 at various mileages. I think people are interested on what it's like to live with a car for a while rather than reading journalists reviews. Real world experience. Go ahead, tell us what you think after the first 500.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u
Cuke

This sounds like a good time for a users review

Reactions: cuke2u
I just might do a review, possibly post christmas in the school holidays and after my first long distance drive to Suffolk. That way I will have more of a balanced view of the car..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Simonb1975 and scotty76
Only 500 miles - nice! Just surpassed 4000 miles in 1.5 months!

Still liking the car - but I have some MMI gremlins (phone disconnects, or it randomly switches to DVD) and I yesterday was affected by boot opening gate

Only other thing is the car has so far ruined my lower back, but only because I am struggling to find a comfortable position. Never struggled with this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm like Maui, just passed 4000 miles so far and got mine about a week after iirc.
Few niggles but nothing really huge.

I find that the ideal driving position for me means I can't see the warning lights along the top of the dash where the indicator lights are (hidden by top rim of steering wheel) so have to dip my head to make sure I've flipped the indicator stalk enough when I'm changing lanes.
I've tried to like CarPlay but in the end I've resigned myself to the fact it just doesn't suit me. Fair play to those who use it but I just find it clumsy and poorly excecuted. Also, the size of the text and icons on the mmi is ridiculous, a real distraction. A lovely hi-res display wasted with enormous icons that make everyone who's seen it try and change tracks thinking it's touch screen.
OK, honesty time. This is my third A4 and I've always wanted a flat bottomed steering wheel. It's a stupid idea, wheels are meant to be round for a reason!

The matrix headlights are nothing short of phenomenal and cannot be highly enough recommended.
Also, the way it lights up the kerbside as you approach junctions etc is a nice touch.

I spec'd the advanced key as I wasn't aware it was part of the sound and vision pack as some have found. Think it's a bit strange that the configurator and the dealer let me pay for something twice? Anyway, I can honestly say it is my favourite thing on the car at the moment. The keyless go makes so much more sense when you don't have to get the key out of your pocket to unlock or lock the door - the foot operated boot thing is a bit of an art I haven't mastered.

I was a little worried the auto box would be a little clumsy but it's near perfect, especially in dynamic - I'm sure it's sat position linked as it changes down from coasting when approaching a corner or a change of speed limit.

Interested to hear what others thoughts are so far...

Reactions: Rob_F and scotty76
Nice write up, agreed, I could do with the steering wheel being lower but, as you state, it then would obscure the warning lights. I am also constantly fiddling with the seat adjustment but then its an audi, not a ford where it was perfect, and my A3 was the same...

The stronic gearbox can (in some modes) predict the oncoming junctions/roundabouts and make gear changes appropriately, yes.

I too am still trying to find a good seating position, but I think it's just a matter of finding time/trialing it. There's plenty of scope for changes with the seats and SW rake.

I can see my indicators, without looking at the dash... there's a pass through square to let the LED light through on the wing mirrors. Hadn't noticed the dash lights TBH so I guess my position is stopping me seeing those.

CarPlay is kind of useful for things like Audible.

Well having owned my A4 for just over a month now I have just passed the 500 mile mark, maybe I should get out more?
Perhaps we should have a running thread for the minimum/maximum mileages on our cars...

Don't say that, I've had my car for 3 months to the day today and I'm only on 1400.. I'll need to get out more as well.
A review would be good, (from everyone really at milestones) would be useful. Maybe a thread for each? First 1000, 5000, 10000 miles etc etc.

I'm at 529 at the moment. A few additional points:

• The Avant boot with the seats down swallowed up a 7 foot xmas tree at the weekend with no problems. Surprised how robust and heavy the boot lid cover bars are! Also found the rear (sun?) blind cover for the back window. Not quite sure what that's for really.
  • Still can't quite get my head around why the engine stops rolling up to the lights, only to restart immediately. No idea how that is "greener". I try to remember to hit the override button when I can as I simply hate stop/start on any car. Pulling away from roundabouts with the engine off is borderline dangerous with so much lag.
  • Economy wise, on the mix of "urban" village roads, fast DC/Motorway mix I do, same trip daily, I'm getting about 43mpg for Auto, 40.4mpg for Dynamic and 46 on Economy. Pretty reasonable given how much poke the car has in almost all situations. I have a 190PS 2L TDI and Stronic combo. Not really used Comfort setting yet.
  • Haven't played much with the auto parking yet (didn't think I would, but love the overhead view)

Only other thing is the car has so far ruined my lower back

I feel it. Only done about 500 miles so far in mine but it's quickly becoming the most uncomfortable car I've ever had. Cannot get on with the thigh bolsters either. They're constantly digging into the top of my thigh bone. I'm going to have to find a way to get them a bit softer or wider apart or the car's a gonner.....

I happy to find the seats pretty much perfect, far better than the sports seats in a friends BMW 320i sport which seem narrower in the back rest and are most uncomfortable.
There must surely be a combination of adjustment to allow a comfortable seat?

I like the range of possible adjustments on the seating position, but I have to say it's not the most comfortable seat I have ever experienced. In my view the seat itself is too hard. A softer seat combined with all the adjustment options would suit me better. I find myself adjusting the lumbar support every few drives, whereas I thought you would set that up once and keep it in the same position.

Reactions: blackb9er