5 star torx / MAF sensor removal

firestorm

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone know where I can get the security 5 pointed torx type tools from ???

Thanks

Halfords??? They supply a set seperate to buy, and also with the toolkits they sell. They're not a bad set either for the DIYer and take a lot of punishment complete with a lifetime guarantee...

Nope, neither of them will fit the 5 star anti tamper bolt of the more recent maf sensors.

They are made exclusively under license, and sold to service professionals only.

Having said that, I know of one person who is on order for this very part. I'll let you know how it goes...

As an alternative you can remove the screw with careful use of some mole grip pilers, then replace it with something more user friendly..

[ QUOTE ]
Lees3 said:
Nope, neither of them will fit the 5 star anti tamper bolt of the more recent maf sensors.

They are made exclusively under license, and sold to service professionals only.

Having said that, I know of one person who is on order for this very part. I'll let you know how it goes...

As an alternative you can remove the screw with careful use of some mole grip pilers, then replace it with something more user friendly..

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they have changed the design VERY recently then you'll find that Halfords sells very good tools for the job, and most motor factors will supply them too... I haven't found a bolt on many cars that I cannot get a tool for from Halfords.

Wickes sell a screwbit set for £2.95 which includes standard Torx and Torx anti tamper (the ones with the pin in the middle) up to T-35, and also allen key anti tamper.
Absolute bargain!

these bits are in the maplin security pack that i mentioned - at least in the one that i bought.

Halfords didn't do them.

Dunk is correct, get them from Maplin, GU60 product code. Roughly £10 including VAT and Delivery. Bargin. Mine came yesterday!

AL

I used my Halfords Pro Socket set and it had the part/bit in there

Arghhh!

Maplins don't do them! Not for my car anyway. They're actually called torx plus anti tamper bits or Torx Plus AR for short.

torx plus ar sale details

Yes some earlier cars came with 6 star variety which can quite commonly be picked up at maplins even halfords. These babies are very hard to come by. The one UK source I've come across is:-

uk source..

However we are unsure, but think we need the 25 (amd were consulted) however delivery is 6 weeks or something.

Sorry if I've put any noses out of place, but there's a lot of confusion over this topic!!!

Got sick of waiting for correct bit and managed to clean maf through the mesh wire (the alcohol spray came with a spraying straw.)

Before 26mpg afer 31!!! Why did I wait?

halfords do the correct set u have to order it over the parts counter after i spent £7.50 on set i found you can get them there!

Lee,
You mentioned that you cleaned your MAF by using an alcohol spray ?

What sort of spray is it isopryl alochol ?
How long does the effect last ?

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll try Halfords then ...

Cheers

Banwell's right, the newer models require a 5 point star bit, not a 6 one. Tried Halfords and although one bloke there bet his career on it, it didn't fit my MAF sensor's screws (got it with me and he was helpful enough to open a set). There are plenty of them on eBay or Amazon though if you do a search got "Torx TR 5 corners" at around 7-8 quid.