4x4 on summer tyres vs FWD on winter tyres!

S32B

Reaction score
With all the talk on the forums about winter tyres, I thought I'd share this vid I stumbled across:

Reactions: Fatbloke and Ormesome
Nice. Great video. Saw this a while ago, they do some good videos regarding winter tires etc.... They do a video about ice and rain with winter tires too. prob more relevant for the UK, especially as someone will be along soon saying it doesn't snow at all near them so they don't need winter tires!

Edit: it was Matt Watson with Auto Express. good bits about rain and so on half way through the video, around 3mins in...

Reactions: S32B
Nice. Great video. Saw this a while ago, they do some good videos regarding winter tires etc.... They do a video about ice and rain with winter tires too. prob more relevant for the UK, especially as someone will be along soon saying it doesn't snow at all near them so they don't need winter tires!

Edit: it was Matt Watson with Auto Express. good bits about rain and so on half way through the video, around 3mins in...

It could literally be a difference between life or death, especially if a kid ran out in front of you! I see it as a great excuse to get a different look for 5-6 months lol....When I change cars, if I decide I'll be keeping it 4-5 years I think I'll get a second set.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Ormesome
With all the talk on the forums about winter tyres, I thought I'd share this vid I stumbled across:

I'd stay in the house before driving in snow like that in the video
Ps dreadful video

Reactions: CHEZ and MikeParkin
This is the video I watched (and thought better). Appreciate the conditions are a bit more on the extreme side, but not a lot of difference between an icy slope and the ones on the video.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Ps dreadful video

I’m the opposite. I love driving in extreme weather. Get to test my skills :wink:
Beast from the East last year was no joke but it was good to know my old a6 managed to muddle through it and get me places like checking on my folks and making sure they had supplies. Also had to rescue my mate in his discovery sport on the worst night of it. Just drove through it all like any other day. Can’t let the weather run my life.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I’m the opposite. I love driving in extreme weather. Get to test my skills :wink:
Beast from the East last year was no joke but it was good to know my old a6 managed to muddle through it and get me places like checking on my folks and making sure they had supplies. Also had to rescue my mate in his discovery sport on the worst night of it. Just drove through it all like any other day. Can’t let the weather run my life.

Me too, I love driving in extreme weather! However, anything that helps get me and mine and my car out and back home SAFELY in damp, wet, icy, snowy, sub 7ºC temperatures - usually mid-November to mid-March - is worth every £ for SAFE steering and braking and of course the traction is of amazing benefit.

A winter tyre user with every car purchased since October 1999 with a Vauxhall Carlton GSi 3000; a tad light on the back end was the GSi 3000.

Currently and watching the forecasts; purchased our current SQ5 back in March and purchased a set of winter rims and tyres BEFORE we got the car back home:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/ post #3

Committed or what!

Reactions: Ormesome and AlS3BE
Me too, I love driving in extreme weather! However, anything that helps get me and mine and my car out and back home SAFELY in damp, wet, icy, snowy, sub 7ºC temperatures - usually mid-November to mid-March - is worth every £ for SAFE steering and braking and of course the traction is of amazing benefit.

A winter tyre user with every car purchased since October 1999 with a Vauxhall Carlton GSi 3000; a tad light on the back end was the GSi 3000.

Currently and watching the forecasts; purchased our current SQ5 back in March and purchased a set of winter rims and tyres BEFORE we got the car back home:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/ post #3

Committed or what!

costs for me has been negligible.
Last set I bought I sold after 3 years use for less than £100 loss. £100 cost for 3 years and about 18000 miles is cheap motoring.
The wear on the summers would have been a set of tyres at close to £1k.

Reactions: Ormesome and 45bvtc
Ps dreadful video

Why would you stay home? Set of winter tires plus Quattro makes an almost unbeatable car!! This was last winter. Normal for around 3months. Im British/English but it really is ridiculous how the UK as a whole stops with just a snowflake! A laughing joke in some parts of the EU, always on the news at how the UK hasn't coped again with 1mm of snow!

IMG 3595
IMG 3615

Reactions: Adam14, AlS3BE and 45bvtc
Why would you stay home? Set of winter tires plus Quattro makes an almost unbeatable car!! This was last winter. Normal for around 3months. Im British/English but it really is ridiculous how the UK as a whole stops with just a snowflake! A laughing joke in some parts of the EU, always on the news at how the UK hasn't coped again with 1mm of snow!

View attachment 192942 View attachment 192943

It's not just kitting out yer car out with winter tyres and then drive off to work in heavy snow,its other on the roads who get stuck in the snow blocking roads off etc etc plus l ain't going to risk the chance of a accident or damage to my car in heavy snow been there before