4th AVS Service

col6821

Reaction score
My S3 has just covered 74,000 miles and is now asking for a service. I'm assuming that the cambelt will require replacing, along with all tensioners and the water pump (according to previous recommendations on this forum). The SH shows that this will be the 4th long life service.
How much have people been paying for this?
As the vehicle is now out of warranty, is it safe to go to an independent garage?
Can anyone recommend a good independent garage in the Stratford-upon-Avon area (I was thinking of using David Lees in Alcester)?

I use Listers Audi in stratford, they really know what they're doing, and I think there prices are very good. I had some work done there recently, and asked for 10% discount, which they agreed to, saved me £70. I dont go anywhere else, my S3 is an X-reg with 96k, so dont need to go there

I thought the way the services work was a two step system

1st / 3rd / 5th etc - Minor Service, new filters etc

2nd / 4th / 6th etc - Major service, lots more ££££'s i'm afraid

Regarding your cambelt/water pump etc - i had mine done on my TDI about 6 months ago for about £350.

I think Jabbasport are a bit cheaper and have prices on their website but it might be quite a trek for you.

hope it helps

Mike

MikeA3 said:
I thought the way the services work was a two step system

1st / 3rd / 5th etc - Minor Service, new filters etc

2nd / 4th / 6th etc - Major service, lots more ££££'s i'm afraid

Not sure if that holds true for AVS though, as each one is major, you can get up to 20K miles between services. Another thing about AVS is that you have to keep an eye on things like filters, brake fluid and haldex that might need changing in between AVS services.

Thanks all!
JonS3, 10% and £70, that must have been 1 very big piece of work! I'll give Listers a call this afternoon for a quote, I'd rather the cambelt was done by a dealer so that the book is fully stamped.
Agree with Monkeytrousers, according to the manuals, all AVS services are 'long life'. My car was last serviced at 58k.
My Haldex and filter isn't due until 83k and I also need rear disks and pads which I can do myself.
E-mailed the independent for a quote this morning and haven't heard anything back yet.

jonS3 said:
I use Listers Audi in stratford, they really know what they're doing, and I think there prices are very good. I had some work done there recently, and asked for 10% discount, which they agreed to, saved me £70. I dont go anywhere else, my S3 is an X-reg with 96k, so dont need to go there

I know the trust element is huge in deciding where to get any work done, and I would rather have peace of mind and spend a bit more, but surely a main dealer is costing a whole lot more than a reputable independent, even with a discount. What is the labour rate at Listers just out of curiosity?

I had new front and rear roll bars, inlcuding bushes/clamps etc.. and new front drop links. 4-wheel optiflex allignment, brake fluid change, longitudinal sensor in steering column replaced, all for £660ish

I didnt think this was too bad, the sensor was £100 and £100 fitting, but needs their computer to reset and delete the fault codes. im guessing there rate is nearyly £100 an hour then, but they dont charge for as many hours as you'd think.

Car felt like new in comparison, and was really happy with the work. they diagnosed the faults whilst i waited and for free, I then booked it in for the work to be done, car was cleaned very well inside and out, and also got an A6 S-line avant as a courtesy car

Called the independent last night and was quoted £475 + Vat for a long-life servcice, cambelt, waterpump and tensioners change.
Callled Listers, they quoted £279 inc for a long-life 1 service and will call back today with long-life 2 and cambelt prices.......
Also need: - rear disks and pads, MOT, 2 x Xenon adjuster motors..... It's not going to be cheap!

col6821 said:
Called the independent last night and was quoted £475 + Vat for a long-life servcice, cambelt, waterpump and tensioners change.
Callled Listers, they quoted £279 inc for a long-life 1 service and will call back today with long-life 2 and cambelt prices.......
Also need: - rear disks and pads, MOT, 2 x Xenon adjuster motors..... It's not going to be cheap!

I got my rear discs/pads from GSF, zimmerman discs, pagid pads, under £100 all in IIRC. i asked for a discount, and got 15%ish. There very easy to do, just make sure you have a tool to wind the pistons back (i used some pliers). its an easy way to save some ££, MOT's will be £40ish, but again, its best to get Audi to do this, as they will spot things an independant may not. What adjusters do you mean? the black ones the connector plugs into?

Cheers JonS3
I'm considering doing the rear disks and pads myself and was looking at GSF last night, so will be going there now.
My Xenon lights don't always align correctly and from previous posts on this forum I understand it to be an electric motor problem within the unit that can be replaced, so again I'll try to do this myself.
Just received the quote from Listers for the service work, I'll place it under the other thread on here.

jonS3 said:
I had new front and rear roll bars, inlcuding bushes/clamps etc.. and new front drop links. 4-wheel optiflex allignment, brake fluid change, longitudinal sensor in steering column replaced, all for £660ish

I didnt think this was too bad, the sensor was £100 and £100 fitting, but needs their computer to reset and delete the fault codes. im guessing there rate is nearyly £100 an hour then, but they dont charge for as many hours as you'd think.

Car felt like new in comparison, and was really happy with the work. they diagnosed the faults whilst i waited and for free, I then booked it in for the work to be done, car was cleaned very well inside and out, and also got an A6 S-line avant as a courtesy car

That is a bargain from a main dealer - I've been quoted around £500 just to replace the front ARB.

Don't trust a main dealer.
Mine was useless and did little more that ****** the suspension and put a wacking great dent in the side.