4H-Tech Short Shifter

Labern

Labern
Reaction score
I just did the first mod to my S1 today by installing a 4H-Tech short shifter.
Its very simple and only takes 15mins
The end result is very nice. The amount of throw is how it should have been from the factory. Nice and short but still easy to find the gears.
I also found its very simple to adjust the position of where the gear stick sits in the car. Which I prefer to have slightly more forward

Attachments

• SAM_7986.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 493
Nice work, I've considered this in the past but I don't mind the OEM throw and have therefore not taken the plunge. Maybe if I drove an S1 with the short shifter fitted I'd change my mind? :)

Yeah I also didnt mind it but as I got this as a hobby car I plan to slowly work on it making a few changes here and there.
I thought this was a good first step as no tuning required to reap the benefits.
But I'm very pleased with the result and prefer how it drives now.
I asked APR if there's would fit but they said no but they are working on it. But who knows how long that would take. So I just decided to go for the 4H-Tech one.

Reactions: lfcrule1972
One thing I found worthwhile to improve the standard shift was to clean, shim & regrease the shift linkages on the gearbox. I used some aluminium tape to take the slop out and it only needed one layer here and there. It's massively improved the feel of the shift and it cost next to nothing to do. Obviously if you're looking for shorter, heavier throws then a short shifter would be the way to go.

I didn't actually find the short shifter made the throws heavier, maybe due to the counterweight being a different size to the original.
But good tips about shimming etc

I didn't actually find the short shifter made the throws heavier, maybe due to the counterweight being a different size to the original.
But good tips about shimming etc

That's surprising as with less mechanical advantage the throws should be heavier. But as you say, the counterweight will likely compensate somewhat.

Sounds good, mine is going on this weekend along with race clutch/flywheel. Keen to see how it feels.

I just received all new bushes and linkages which I found on eBay and installed them. Way less slop in the gear shift and it feels way smoother. When installing the Short shifter I noticed some of the rubber had compressed leaving some slop and the sliding shoe was a bit loose.

Reactions: IftiS1