4D number plates!!!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts of 4D number plates?
Cool or not cool.
I currently run short gel resin plates which are great but found a company that do short and tinted 4D plates so seriously considering it.
And not super tinted before the lawyers start posting about the law lol just slightly tinted which is still probably illegal but looks great.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Think it's a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" but not a cat in hell's chance would I ever stick them on my A6.

No no no... The reason. I look at them and I don't like them.

If you like them get them.

But why ask??

Just wondering what people's opinions on them are.
What's the point in this forum if no body asks any questions

Look pretty good to me. Of all the styles I probably like them the most.

Reactions: Buxton2901
I got a set and ditched them for 3D gel ones after a couple of months. Personal opinion is that they’re leaning in the chavvy side. Also at night the back plate looks **** as the letters cast a shadow from the number plate light above.

If you like 'em go for it :icon thumright: personally have pressed metal plates.

Reactions: Bishop187 and N@deeem
Can’t beat timeless pressed metal imho.

Never understood what the 4th dimension is with 4D over 3D?

Reactions: bigup and Buxton2901
I think I'm going to stick with the gel plates and just go shorter on the rear with a light smoke tint

Metal ones get stone rash I found.

Certainly do but I like the look enough to replace like for like when they get tatty :happy:

Funny you should mention this as I've just came back from America where everyone has metal plates and 9/10 are misshapen and/or tatty (presumably due to hitting things and/or stone rash, some have plates in front windows presumably to avoid this) which really made me understand why England did away with the black and silver metal plates way back when, still like the look of pressed metal plates enough to put up with this agro though.

I like them personally and have paid for a pair when my new reg comes from the DVLA. Im giving up the Sh*t Irish one on currently. I had the 3D gel ones on the previous 6R and they didnt stand out all that much.

What's the difference between 3D and 4D plates? Do the make a noise or omit a smell?

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR and CHEZ
Much prefer the 3D Gel plates, I had a pair on my A3 and now ordering some more for the S4.

Really don't like the look of the "4D" plates personally. Think they look really weird from what I've seen. Don't get me started on shortened number plates either..

Short, 4D and tinted.
ac485a3cba3c08e5c63a1ca91c32d1b8.jpg

Reactions: DieselJake
Can't make my mind up on the 4d.....I do like the gel ones though....If we all liked the same things the world would be a very boring place :friends:

Reactions: Kondax
Short? No
4D? No
Tinted? Yes. With 3D gel
af349ce55b385d1d94d46eb47c3192cf.jpg
8ab1060389d8bfb62098efe3cb8267e1.jpg
b2e84c11ec2897a538e0479eaafe71e6.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: Buxton2901 and Bishop187
Wow they are quite tinted.
Get any heat from the fuss?
I panic when I have a cop behind me as I believe they illegal and mine aren't as dark as yours

I panic when I have a cop behind me as I believe they illegal and mine aren't as dark as yours

Just put them on few days ago so nothing as of yet.
If so, I'll say, I just got back from aitp and forgot to take them off. LOL

Sent from H P20 PRO

what's everyone using to stick them on with?

I just use the sticky pads that come with the plates. they are ridiculously sticky and difficult to get off when you have to remove them.

I've just ordered a tinted 4D short front plate to match the rear one.

I like 4D and gel plates, got a set of gel plates for mine.

Tinting however, I dislike. I just don’t see the point, I’ve got a few friends on their “last plate warning” for running tinted plates. But if you like it and can get away with it, go for it.

Got stopped for them plates few weeks back and with warning, been let go.
Copper didn't said anything about marker on my car for plates but they were tapping the keyboard in that X5 for few minutes, with my DL in hand.

It was actually funny as they past drove me in other direction and I could see driver of that police car going WOW!
Turned quickly around and with "blues" on, pulled me over.
They had machine guns and all that so don't think they were from road division. Probably bored and had to pick on someone.

Just slapped standard 3D gel ones.
Maybe in the future I'll get tinted ones back on but not as dark.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Copper didn't said anything about marker on my car for plates but they were tapping the keyboard in that X5 for few minutes, with my DL in hand.

It was actually funny as they past drove me in other direction and I could see driver of that police car going WOW!
They had machine guns and all that so don't think they were from road division. Probably bored and had to pick on someone.

Sent from H P20 PRO
Mistaken identity?lol
audi-rs6-hashish-01.jpg

Reactions: CHEZ
They must have thought you were a drug dealer, mate.

Reactions: KrisKrk
Hahhaa.
Thought you were pointing something written there on the picture.

Yeah, and my wife sitting next to me was feeding them drugs to our 2yo and 5yo kids at the back. LOL.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Sent from H P20 PRO
Pretty sure the ones with guns in X5s are the armed traffic/response teams

Don’t understand number plate tinting. They just look like dirty.

Reactions: Kondax and KrisKrk
Don’t understand number plate tinting. They just look like dirty.
I'm with you on this one, always wonder how they have managed to get such a clean car yet their plate is manky.

My Mrs is looking at getting the 4d plates, I'm not 100% sure of them but her car so up to her.

Wasn't trying to make any.
It was purely informational post

Sent from H P20 PRO
I've seen the X5's in all major citys/Ring Roads. I'm guessing its the Police Firearms choice of vechicle.
One followed me last January at well over 100 on the M62 but only wagged the finger whilst showing me the badge.
I'm guessing they were on something more urgent. Very lucky!

Last edited by a moderator: