What’s the default seating position on an S3?

Jason1987

Reaction score
Sounds like a stupid question as it’s subjective but I can’t get the right seating position. I have the steering wheel fully forward and high as it goes and the seat on lowest setting but my knees hit the wheel. I had a focus before which is similar size but the s3 seems cramped.

Last edited:
I'm 6'2 and have no issue, you got a flat bottom steering wheel?

My dad was 6'7 and managed to drive his s3 fine too?

Reactions: LesleyG
Tall enough lol !

I fit fine in my S3, seat at the lowest position too as i like to be snug in the car, but i’m only 5’8. My husband is 6’2, he only drives my car occasionally, says he’s comfortable but not for a long drive - or maybe he just wants to relax in the passenger seat lol !

I'm 6'2 and have no issue, you got a flat bottom steering wheel?

My dad was 6'7 and managed to drive his s3 fine too?
Yeah flat bottom. It just feels like the wheel should lift up higher but it’s as high as it goes.

I'm 5ft 8, round steering wheel at highest setting (not sure what the reach setting is), seat at 2nd or 3rd highest setting, seat relatively far front (there is plenty of rear leg room, about 1.5 credit card's length (long wise) from my knee to back recess if sat behind myself). I don't tend to hit my knees as they would be beyond (further front) than the steering wheel. Maybe other prefer a more 'lean back' style of driving. I could see people with Chris Hoy super large thighs not able to comfortably sit or even jam the wheel all together, but other than that....

I'm 5ft 8, round steering wheel at highest setting (not sure what the reach setting is), seat at 2nd or 3rd highest setting, seat relatively far front (there is plenty of rear leg room, about 1.5 credit card's length (long wise) from my knee to back recess if sat behind myself). I don't tend to hit my knees as they would be beyond (further front) than the steering wheel. Maybe other prefer a more 'lean back' style of driving. I could see people with Chris Hoy super large thighs not able to comfortably sit or even jam the wheel all together, but other than that....
It’s ok if I pull the wheel out with the lever, but didn’t think I’d need to and don’t remember doing this on other cars

I just hope the steering wheel would come further out. It's quite ok on it's farthest position but a centimeter or two wouldn't be bad. Also in every single 8Y car I've driven the wheel had already been pulled all the way out so it seems not many drivers need it closer to the dash. Don't remember how it was in 8V but in Golf it's the same. In Audi A4 I didn't want to pull the wheel all the way out. On the other hand some people taller than me admit my driving position is weirdly long and low.

I just hope the steering wheel would come further out. It's quite ok on it's farthest position but a centimeter or two wouldn't be bad. Also in every single 8Y car I've driven the wheel had already been pulled all the way out so it seems not many drivers need it closer to the dash. Don't remember how it was in 8V but in Golf it's the same. In Audi A4 I didn't want to pull the wheel all the way out. On the other hand some people taller than me admit my driving position is weirdly long and low.
Maybe most people have the wheel pulled out and that’s why I’m hitting it with knee as I’ve got it in.

Sounds like. The highest position of the wheel is also higher when you pull it out some, because of basic geometrics...

I've driven lots of cars where I find the accelerator pedal placed oddly close to driver and I hate those. You must keep your right knee high up while you can stretch the left foot straight and when you think you've lift the foot off the accelerator completely, you're still pushing it. And you're hitting the steering wheel with your knee all the time. Who egghead thought that would be good for anyone's driving position.