Car play to A6 C7 RMC.

Callinswood

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m aware I can either use a box of magic to piggyback on the MMi or rip it all out and install an updated MMI system.
I’m going to go down the route of adding the piggy back box based on cost.
Q- all of the ones I have seen state I need an AMI to aux for sound and that the oem system must be used in aux to allow CarPlay to deliver sound.
with the Ami being in the armrest, what is the best way to cable manage this so I don’t see it.
2- is jumping between car play and non car play simple? And the fact I’m using the non car play side in aux , does that get annoying?

I’m pretty happy with the system as it stands but adding google maps would be useful hence the 3rd party box.

thanks again

Ok, so I’m aware I can either use a box of magic to piggyback on the MMi or rip it all out and install an updated MMI system.
I’m going to go down the route of adding the piggy back box based on cost.
Q- all of the ones I have seen state I need an AMI to aux for sound and that the oem system must be used in aux to allow CarPlay to deliver sound.
with the Ami being in the armrest, what is the best way to cable manage this so I don’t see it.
2- is jumping between car play and non car play simple? And the fact I’m using the non car play side in aux , does that get annoying?

I’m pretty happy with the system as it stands but adding google maps would be useful hence the 3rd party box.

thanks again
Don’t need to actually connect the interface to the aux, just need to connect an ami cable to allow the selection of AUX as a source. The interface taps in to the AUX via the quadlock loop loom.

switching between RMC and interface is via a toggle button so pretty simple.

Reactions: Callinswood
So I’m reality you could could cut the cable off of the AMI connector and just leave it in the slot? Thanks for this. I’ve since ordered a kit which will be here this week so I will detail the install and either recommend or not

So I’m reality you could could cut the cable off of the AMI connector and just leave it in the slot? Thanks for this. I’ve since ordered a kit which will be here this week so I will detail the install and either recommend or not
You connect the aux cable to the AMi and that’s it, no need to connect anything else or cut anything.

the way AMI works is that if you don’t have an AUx cable connected it won’t let you select AUX as a source. The interface is actually connected to the AMI via the quadlock but lacks the pins / smarts for the AMI to know this, hence the need for the aux cable.

That’s what I mean, the Ami just needs to detect that something is plugged into it to enable the aux. Just a shame you can use a blank plug rather than a cabled one. Thankyou for your responses