42L1 - A-Servicing rear axle¹

nathanrich

Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI 204 S-Tronic Black Edition
Reaction score
This recall message just popped up on My Audi app. No further info though.

Last edited:
This recall message just popped up on My Audi app. No further info though.

I have the same in mine this morning. I’ll book it in with the next Service, unless anyone on here says that their axle has dropped off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a picture of the defect parts in question

Also got the same message, though I have the 2020 A6. Affects all A4/A5/A6/A7/A8 models from MY2020 and MY2021.

More info here:

I called the dealer this morning and they are aware of it and said rear wheel(s) bolts will need to be replaced and I have booked this in in early July. In the meantime the car's rear wheels could fall off!! :sob:
Wow, thats a lot of cars to be recalled I would suspect.

Wow, thats a lot of cars to be recalled I would suspect.
I got same for my 2020 S4 so called Audi in Newbury who booked it in next day (today).What a difference back end feels connected and a touch softer and much more planted than before, It gave much more confidence on a back road as it feels more connected to the front.I wonder if there is more to this than they let on will be interesting to see what other members think on this.
On a subnote totally destroyed a petrol S5 going up to Newbury no answer to the midrange and still got 35 mpg so to the doubters I say pah

I've booked mine in at Bristol Audi next Thursday.

I've just had my RS7 in for this work.
Apparently it's just 4 bolts and the housings if these were already showing damage.

My car is now driving quite differently than it was before. I didn't notice any issues before but now the car feels as it it's not 5m long which is a good thing, but the rear-end is now stepping out on every single pothole or uneven surface. It's random and unsettling and I've lost faith in it at the moment. It's like it's a different car, but not in a good way.

While it did also receive a software update (which added Lane Departure onto the dash) this feels like either the work has been completely badly or this is now how the car should handle. I'd not have bought it if this was how it should behave. My previous RS5/S5's haven't driven like this.

Didn't think this recall would make such a change.

Reactions: Hakimo
I've just had my RS7 in for this work.
Apparently it's just 4 bolts and the housings if these were already showing damage.

My car is now driving quite differently than it was before. I didn't notice any issues before but now the car feels as it it's not 5m long which is a good thing, but the rear-end is now stepping out on every single pothole or uneven surface. It's random and unsettling and I've lost faith in it at the moment. It's like it's a different car, but not in a good way.

While it did also receive a software update (which added Lane Departure onto the dash) this feels like either the work has been completely badly or this is now how the car should handle. I'd not have bought it if this was how it should behave. My previous RS5/S5's haven't driven like this.

Didn't think this recall would make such a change.
Hi Sparky,
I wanted to reach out as I have found the exact same experience, while a different car admittedly (an a4 avant vs rs7 is no fitting comparison) but also more worryingly, my rear wheels have since destroyed a pair of tyres in 6 months. (6mm wear) in 6000 miles. front wheel drive a4 avant.

Did you ever have any feedback from the dealer? I am convinced something is not correct, as the previous 7000 miles resulted in 1.8mm wear, which was actually confirmed via audi cam on the service the same day this recall was completed.

Hi Sparky,
I wanted to reach out as I have found the exact same experience, while a different car admittedly (an a4 avant vs rs7 is no fitting comparison) but also more worryingly, my rear wheels have since destroyed a pair of tyres in 6 months. (6mm wear) in 6000 miles. front wheel drive a4 avant.

Did you ever have any feedback from the dealer? I am convinced something is not correct, as the previous 7000 miles resulted in 1.8mm wear, which was actually confirmed via audi cam on the service the same day this recall was completed.
Almost on cue, just had notification of another recall to rectify the first one. see below. I recommend you get checked out asap

Almost on cue, just had notification of another recall to rectify the first one. see below. I recommend you get checked out asap

Hi Iain,

That's really interesting and thank you for the link. There's no notice in my app to say my car should be included this recall recall.
Mine was so bad to drive that I have now sold my RS7 and it goes in about 10 days, so I'll never know if the issue can be fixed.

It destroyed a set of rear tyres for me, too. Took 4mm tyres down to 1.8mm in a very short amount of time and the car bounced around when I went over any differing surface. But Audis' refusal to help me led me to get rid of it.

I will pass on this detail to the new owner, though. Thanks for highlighting it.

Hi Iain,

That's really interesting and thank you for the link. There's no notice in my app to say my car should be included this recall recall.
Mine was so bad to drive that I have now sold my RS7 and it goes in about 10 days, so I'll never know if the issue can be fixed.

It destroyed a set of rear tyres for me, too. Took 4mm tyres down to 1.8mm in a very short amount of time and the car bounced around when I went over any differing surface. But Audis' refusal to help me led me to get rid of it.

I will pass on this detail to the new owner, though. Thanks for highlighting it.
I have had new recall which is annoying as it was given an oil change and inspection last week where they noticed three tyres were at 5.3 mm and back left at 4.2 mm so my S4 is in all day Thursday .I have complained to Audi UK and am arguing with dealer because Audi say they are replacing the tyres if there is uneven or premature tyre ware so looking for Audi to replace the back two but we will see.I can see Audi getting a lot of stick over this.I will let you all know how it goes.Audi could have felt with this properly the first time.Anyone else having issues

Mine isn't showing a recall but it most certainly isn't handling like it did before.
It corners better than it did originally, but now I'm not convinced the rear-wheel steering is operating correctly, and it bounces around way too much.

Just seen in My Audi app:

42L5 - A-Checking rear axle after recall 42L1¹

I've just booked mine into the dealer for Friday morning. I enquired the details of the 42L5 recall from the the Service guy I spoke to and he read out the details. In summary, due to the original 42L1 recall activity the rear wheels could have been inadvertently left with incorrect toe and camber settings. When he continued to read Audi's words, it mentions the possible implications for uneven tyre wear, loss of traction and tyre blow out.

So for anyone who has chewed threw a set of rear tyres (uneven wear inside or outside) since 42L1 then Audi are aware of this possibility. So I'm sure you could argue the cost of a new set of tyres maybe.

I've not checked my rears yet but I think I've only done about 3000 miles since 42L1 was performed in July 2021 (Covid, working from home etc).

Of course, it might be the case that many cars rears were not misaligned, but that's what this recall is, a quality check.

Last edited:
Hi ,

I have had the same issue with my 2020 Audi A4 where I had handling issues due to the recall- just a quick question if I may ask.

Did you receive a letter from the DVLA and/or Audi for the 42L1 recall or just for the 42L5 one? I did not receive anything and discovered there was a recall via the Audi app.

Cheers!

My A5 Convertible is going in Tuesday for the 42L5 after having done the L1 earlier this year. Notification was in the myAudi app. The fix mentioned is a full wheel alignment on all 4 corners with a workshop estimate of 5 hours. They where pretty insistent it needing doing with urgency.

My A5 Convertible is going in Tuesday for the 42L5 after having done the L1 earlier this year. Notification was in the myAudi app. The fix mentioned is a full wheel alignment on all 4 corners with a workshop estimate of 5 hours. They where pretty insistent it needing doing with urgency.
The recall has been completed and car has had 4 brand new tyres fitted FOC. No complaint with that.

Mine is currently with Derby Audi and has managed after 8000 miles chew 3 of the tyres down to 1.9mm at parts, Audi replacing all 4 for me FOC as the wear is noticeably uneven, cant get the tyres until Tuesday so have even hired me a Merc CLA for a few days which is extremely nice of them, although the Merc is rubbish

Just had 42L5 performed on my car today by Northampton Audi. They told me it's just the rear camber that is checked as part of this particular recall....
It was apparently within tolerance, but if I wanted it making perfect it would be down to my expense at a nice sum of £540.00!!

It was also noted that if adjustment was to go ahead, front camera calibration would also need to be performed. I don't have ACC on my car, so not quite sure why this would be necessary?

Got mine back Monday and can't believe how different the car feels (in a good way), I had an oil change and gearbox oil at the same time but boy it pulls well