42" Panasonic TV? Where&What??

ah ok. Do they make any difference compared to normal rear conventional ones? (i mean is a room that size: 11 square ft)

edit: 11 square feet or square metres?

ah ok. Do they make any difference compared to normal rear conventional ones? (i mean is a room that size: 11 square ft)

edit: 11 square feet or square metres?

Oh no...approx 10 and a bit ft by 10 and a bit ft. Not a big room. It was supposed to be the Study...but is now my Cinema room. Big enough for a 3 seater sofa and all my AV gear...with big volumes possible.

The dipoles are probably more diffused than purely single direction speakers...but I have no room behind (sofa up against the wall where the rear speakers are) and without room to give directional speakers the room to work, they seemed like a good option.
They work...there is quite possibly better out there...but in my small room, they just work.

We've gone way off topic here...sorry Oranoco.
If it helps, I'll be installing a Panasonic 50G10 1080p Freesat HD bad-boy in my Cinema Room in the next few months.

I am also (sad enough) to be thinking of fitting a 42G10 1080p Freesat HD set in my Kitchen/Family Room to replace the 32" Samsung HD set that's in there...so impressed am I by the Panasonic Plasmas.

It's a couple of £100 more than the X series you were thinking of...but I really would suggest you go and audition the two...try Freeview, Freesat SD, Freesat HD, Sky SD, Sky HD, DVD and BluRay sources on them both...and make your mind up from there.
The 42G10 is a belter of a set...

My bro has an older Panasonic plasma (TX42PX70 rings a bell, its a couple of generations old now) and when we first looked at it in the store we were both stunned at how good it was at SD.

It had some crappy daytime freeview channel on and comparing it to all the other LCD sets around in the store the difference was unreal. Clearly a lot of its down to the processing engine inside the set, rather than the panel itself, but panasonic are clearly doing it right. I was always a bit disappointed at how these big TV sets really showed up how bad quality the SD channels are, but this thing is just crisp.

Few months later i installed a 40" Sony Bravia LCD for an Aunt and hooked it up to her Sky SD box, and the quality of the image was just nasty. Very obvious macroblocking all over the place.

I've since looked at various sets in the stores and the panasonic does seem to have the edge still.

Gets my vote anyway.

PIC_0080.jpg

samsung 50" very nice tv and great for the xbox call of duty 3/4/5 :icon_thumright:

Just to add I did go for the 42" Panasonice Plasma. It won the What Hi-Fi 5 star award thingy and I got it for a very fair price. Been chuff edto bits with it since I've had it.

I got the TX-P42X-10B. I know it's not as fancy as some of the sets you can get but I'm chuffed to bits with it, The picture is certainly better than a lot of theother sets I'd looked at.

Unfortunately these days, thanks to my bitch of an ex, cash is significantly tighter for spending on luxuries :(

PICT0943.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of the Panny's last month to replace my old LCD.

The picture seemed a bit soft to start with, so I looked on t'internet and found that on certain discs you get a THX Optimiser programme (located within the Sound setup menus). I had a Star Wars DVD Trilogy which had this function so I reset the TV up and now it is so much better. The out of factory settings are pretty soft.

I opted for the 42" V10 as it had ethernet. Wanted a 50" but just wasn't close to being in budget.

DSC_9994.JPG

One area I find it to be far better than LCD is in depth of field within the image. looks FAR less flat.

Oh, you will use it!

B&W 603 S2 Floorstanders, Left and Right
B&W LCR 6 centre
B&W DS6 (THX) side surround
B&W DS6 (THX) rear surround
BK Monolith sub.

:thumbsup: Great minds think alike Glen.

Similar set up in my front room - apart from the monlith :slapped:

I have a poxy Moraunt Short sub - in need for a change.

Have this coupled up to a 42" Vierra, Sky (non HD at the mo, boo ), cheapo blueray player, xbox and Denon AVR1902.

Works well together but the AMP and sub need an upgrade.

I also have some Mordaunt short di-poles as rears which work suprisingly well

Am I reading that correct that you have the DS6's as rears AND sides? as in a pair to the side and a pair to the rear? If so even more :respekt: there. They were'nt cheap when I bought mine.