400hp Daily Use?

S3ALEX90

Reaction score
Is there anyone on here with around 400hp (plus) but still using it daily? Is it even possible? Is anybody running switchable maps? Would this give me more of a chance of retaining drivability?

Thanks!

not that bad, but 400 and above requires lots of work, and modification, and updated parts, and there's always weak links, or corners cut, or just bad luck. Plenty of people on here with 400+hp cars, just not many of them are on the road right now. But that's part of the hobby, and i guess you know and understand that if you're asking such questions.

you speak of daily driveability, 400+hp is not pushing the envelope at all, you'd prob have to double that to lose any 'driveability' on a daily. Spec the build right and some people will argue its improved.

For me it's cost of running a 500+S3 at the time doing short journeys

I was spending over £250 a month doing 30 miles a day

That's not a good thing when your running forged internals

Im with Andrew on this... Although I'm not running massive power I was spending 300 quid a month in fuel alone getting to and from work, this does not take into account the hi-quality expensive wearable parts like tyres brakes etc etc...

I then spent 300 quid on an Audi A4 tdi that gives me 60mpg (halving my fuel bill) and I couldn't give less of a sh!t about the parts I put on it if any. And now it doesn't matter if the A3 is off the road I still have transport.

For me, it's less hassle and more cost effective to have 2 cars and has allowed me to do some extra bits to the A3...

Reactions: StaceyS3
My s3 is in at bill currently for stroker gt35 build (tuffty spec) just now..my plan was to use that as my daily and something to scare me on the weekends...Andrew how did your big power s3 do with getting used as daily ??..

For me it's cost of running a 500+S3 at the time doing short journeys

I was spending over £250 a month doing 30 miles a day

That's not a good thing when your running forged internals

Andrew why is that not good on forged internals ??..

If I could afford to run mine as a daily then I would...

Biggest thing to take into account is that modifying a small capacity engine to big power means longevity and reliability are affected... you can build a reliable engine but you have to put it all in context.. a std engine wouldn't last anywhere near as long as a built engine at 400 hp... but a built engine at 400hp arguably won't last as long as a std engine on std power...

Of course this is subject to many variables such as driving style, types of journey etc... my car with a 2ltr stroker and GT35 is perfectly drivable as a daily but but I also have an A2 which I use for my commute as it does 60mpg vs 20mpg and will do starship miles without anything more than regular servicing... the S3 is noisier with a firmer ride and a stiffer clutch and being a paddle plate while not juddery as such it does make slow moving traffic a tiring experience...

I think as much as I love my S3 and all its power I prefer to drive my A2 to work... its comfortable and quiet (just what you need first thing in the morning), its not massively fast so I don't find myself getting red mist with slower drivers as I don't have the power to get past them...

Since running two cars I find I can enjoy the S3 more and I am less stressed getting to work...

My S3 isn't unreliable IMO... its is more 'sensitive' for sure... anything with the level of custom work and power level she has is subject to a little more inherent 'unreliability' but again you have to keep it in context...

Given the state of some of the more std cars I have seen come through Bills I would say if you build it right it will be at least as reliable if not more so than if you bought 'some car' and did nothing more too it

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3Alex and Goubo1
When you have forged pistons like JE, CP, etc they need more piston to wall clearance for the pistons to expand when they get hot, so when cold you get a little piston slap, that slap can do small amount of damage to the pistons and cylinder walls, the engine will not last as longer with these pistons than one with lower quality forged pistons or cast ones. Rebuilds are needed more with a forged engine.

I know someone with a forged engine and when he takes it out he makes sure it does at least 50 miles in and only gives it some when all fluids are at running temperatures

Reactions: S3Alex and Goubo1
I'm only home a week at most each month so running cost won't hit me hard so I can use it as my daily when home...I agree with fact if it gets built right that's why mine went to bills

I'm going for multi maps Andrew had to get it swapped from narrow band to wideband to allow this

only gives it some when all fluids are at running temperatures

You should do this with any engine. Something many people overlook but having oil up to temp is essential before getting stuck in and takes longer than many think.

Reactions: Goubo1 and S3Alex
Had my BT S3 1 year now , it's my only car and I do around 5k a year so not big mileage. Generally do 200 mile over 2 week at a cost of £50 in fuel. It's been a good car to own so far with no major issues , just a case of keeping on top of regular maintenance. Not sure if I'm the best person to comment on reliability though as it doesn't get ragged, pretty sure if I nailed it all the time then I'd probably have more issues. Credit goes to the previous owner who did a great job with the build IMO.

When you have forged pistons like JE, CP, etc they need more piston to wall clearance for the pistons to expand when they get hot, so when cold you get a little piston slap, that slap can do small amount of damage to the pistons and cylinder walls, the engine will not last as longer with these pistons than one with lower quality forged pistons or cast ones. Rebuilds are needed more with a forged engine.

I know someone with a forged engine and when he takes it out he makes sure it does at least 50 miles in and only gives it some when all fluids are at running temperatures

I know mine is a different engine and car,so a LOT of differences,however,what you say about making sure the engine is warm,and everything is up to temperature before giving it some is true for any performance engine I think.

Mine won't even run beyond 3000 rpm until it's up to temperature,which kind of ensures that I don't try anything daft until that time,I guess,but whether as a result of that sort of thing,or something else,it's run reliably,and well for the last 35 000 miles,but it is pampered.

LOL

It's certainly a lot easier nowadays to get 200-250bhp/litre from an engine(built properly of course)than it's ever been before,but still you need to look after it.

Also....just noticed the name of the OP.....another S3ALEX......a good name!

Reactions: Sean_S3
mine is a daily, switchable maps but I always have it in beast mode map because you never know when you going to have to teach a lesson to someone. I cant wait for winter again :)
Fuel is not an issue here @ GBP 0.30 / litre :) although the fuel quality is pretty poor :(
Last winter I would burn through a tank of fuel in about 2.5 hours :)

Reactions: superkarl and Goubo1
mine is a daily, switchable maps but I always have it in beast mode map because you never know when you going to have to teach a lesson to someone. I cant wait for winter again :)
Fuel is not an issue here @ GBP 0.30 / litre :) although the fuel quality is pretty poor :(
Last winter I would burn through a tank of fuel in about 2.5 hours :)

what power is your bumble beast making ?

Would having switchable help with fuel consumption? Also I was planning on sticking with the standard pistons I was told they can handle 400hp? As for a good reliable build what's peoples ideas this? I don't want to end up with a full blown track car just a well built fast road car.

I am very new to all this so any info on a spec of some sort would be very helpful!

Would having switchable help with fuel consumption? Also I was planning on sticking with the standard pistons I was told they can handle 400hp? As for a good reliable build what's peoples ideas this? I don't want to end up with a full blown track car just a well built fast road car.

I am very new to all this so any info on a spec of some sort would be very helpful!

Read my thread from the start then come back with questions dude... its pretty much all in there

<tuffty/>

I find it rather odd that you seemed very interested in buying my car, I spent the best part of an hour talking you through everything S3 and then said you were going to come down and view it on a Sunday so I took the afternoon off work...and didn't turn up.

And then you have bought another one which appears totally stock other than a set of wheels, and are now planning on spending loads of money mine had already had spent on it and would have been a fantastic base for your 400bhp goal, because you would only have had to of done the rods, turbo hardware and mapping.

Then you saw me/the car you'd spent ages looking at this weekend at Curborough and didn't even introduce yourself other than to ask me for a push because you wanted your car bump started when it had a loose battery terminal.

Bit odd really.

I'm not fussed, it just seems a bit odd.

Good luck to you anyway, hopefully you'll build something cool. See you about.

Last edited:
I was really interested in your car to be honest and seen it at curbrough made me think weather id made the right decision it is generally a nice car seeing it go round and hearing it it only adds to it.

before i had even started looking for a s3 I had it set in my mind I wanted one in imola yellow. I found the one I now have but it was up for alot more than I wanted to pay any how messaged him with a stupid offer which he declined a few days past, in this time you posted yours for sale but on the weekend he phoned me pretty much accepting my offer so I went to look at it and very nearly walked away as there was a few things he hadnt mentioned but I made one last offer which in the end he accepted but if he hadnt of accepted I would of happily walked away and brought yours.

reason for the post is im in two minds weather to use the s3 as a daily/track car or just buy something just for the track which I am still in two minds about.

And as for not introducing myself I am truly sorry for. but to be honest I was in two minds as to weather it was actually you I did kinda nod to acknowledge you but didn't receive anything back so I was listening to see if anybody called your name or something. and aswell its the first time ive done anything like that so I was properly bricking it lol.. but yeah I didn't mean to start our first encounter on the wrong foot

I wouldn't worry Alex, I'm hardly offended haha.

But when I got home and realised it was you I was a bit like..."oh, I probably should have known it was him."

My tuppence, don't track the S3.

They're quick. But they need big big money to be a proper "track" car.

lol good man. well at least now I know you still own it so next time ill make sure I say hello before I ask for a push haha.

well not like full blown all out track just like a bit more power some suspension and maybe some buckets. but its just the thought of am I ruining it by taking it on a track?

It all depends.

As far as selling S3's go it's a tough market at the moment, and I've "struggled" to try and sell mine for what it is worth.

People are refusing to pay more than £3/4000 for an S3 regardless of specification, and I know we all say we won't sell...but we all do eventually.

You're in a catch 22 really because some people love Imola, some hate it. So your resale market in the future is always going to be narrowed by the car itself.

Add to that modifications and a more "track" focused build and you're narrowing your audience further.

It wouldn't hurt to put some coilovers on it, but make sure you buy quality.

Again, it wouldn't hurt to put some buckets in it. But make sure the original seats stay in top condition whilst you store them.

On top of that when you came to sell yours, there will ALWAYS be a standard car available cheaper. And there will always be a higher modified car at the same money. Regardless of what you do.

So just make sure you keep the future condition of the car in mind. Because what you do in your ownership is up to you, but one day you will want to sell it on.

My recommendation....

A set of AP coilovers from DPM.

A front mount and a B5 intake pipe.

A decent air filter.

A downpipe.

Stage 2 mapping.

Brembos.

And enjoy.

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated! I think first I'm going to get the coilovers. having stock suspension round curbrough it didnt half lean lol