4 pin vs 3 pin exhaust flap question - can I wire up the same?

rcnacura

US Spec 8V
Reaction score
I have the 4 pin rs3 exhaust flap actuator. All the wiring diagrams I see for a3/s3 and 2017+ rs3 have the 3 pin.

Does anyone know the difference?

4pin PN: 8S0-133-246-B
3pin PN: 4H0-133-246-J

My car accepts the 3pin that I'm aware of but don't have the other actuators for it to just hook up and run.
43732755ec86076ef9c7c261d970d885.jpg
ebf8ccc78166f7647310aeb91ea5e7a4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You can rewire and you will get no fault codesunder the engine but the 2016 rs3 canbus cannot control the fl 4 pin actuators.

A fix for this is to fit an exhaust flap valve controller off a facelift car onto a pre fl with fl actuators

@rcnacura have you managedto rewire those flaps from3 to 4 pins?
@Aoon_M by any chance, do you have part number for this exhaust valve controller / wiring schema?

Thanks!

4F0973704 is the plug that you need. 4 pin plug for fl car exhaust valves.

An update on this thread, the fl valves can work on a pre fl. Pin 1 off a pre fl loom goes to pin 3 on the fl valve motor.

Hope this helps!

@Aoon_M thanks for the response, I already bought plugs. Do you have exact pinout of the new plug? I'm starting retrofiting exhaust on A3 2.0 TFSI and I need to assemble harness from scratch :)

@rcnacura have you managedto rewire those flaps from3 to 4 pins?
@Aoon_M by any chance, do you have part number for this exhaust valve controller / wiring schema?

Thanks!

@rcnacura did u make it work ? i have the same problem
I ended up buying a whole new 3 pin actuators and controllers. Its the price of one oem actuator from dealer.

I have not managed to hook up into the ecu, which I believe is pin 28 as it comes with a remote and obd dongle if u want to open close at specified rpm.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOR4X1F

I ended up buying a whole new 3 pin actuators and controllers. Its the price of one oem actuator from dealer.

I have not managed to hook up into the ecu, which I believe is pin 28 as it comes with a remote and obd dongle if u want to open close at specified rpm.

God, I bought an exhaust pipe, which has a valve with 4 pins. what should I do

pin 1 mean 12V pin 3 mean GND you mean pin 28? where is pin 28? did u mean pin 2?

I haven't attempted to hook up, you'll want to take a look at the wiring schematic.
93af88ae17363b52f2a6398b0c5f9cc8.jpg

no . i mean . there is 4 pin. witch named 1 2 3 4
witch one is 12V witch one is GND and witch is single
can u sent me you facebook name .?

i have a contrller with RPM . its a some dongle.
i can controll the 3pin one . with RPM. when i put on S. the valve will open . also open 2500+RPM.

im ****** up
I don't know as I have the 3 wire, not the 4 wire. It uses PWM signal and the two will not work even if hooked up. You have to change your actuators to the correct one of the car.

A3/s3 - 3pin
Rs3 - 4pin

The 3 pin actuators is the wiring image above, however look at the colors of the wires to know where they go in the connectors.

I don't know as I have the 3 wire, not the 4 wire. It uses PWM signal and the two will not work even if hooked up. You have to change your actuators to the correct one of the car.

A3/s3 - 3pin
Rs3 - 4pin

The 3 pin actuators is the wiring image above, however look at the colors of the wires to know where they go in the connectors.

Hi, I am hoping to control the actuators manually, do you know if this is possible and if so, what are the 3 pins for identification purposes ? TIA

Hi, I am hoping to control the actuators manually, do you know if this is possible and if so, what are the 3 pins for identification purposes ? TIA
Check out the wiring diagram above, but for the 3 wire, should be some combination of +/-/data. Again it uses a pwm signal so you can't hook up with just a switch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk