3S not in the Auto Express top 10 list of hot hatches

N

Nimbus265

On picking up a copy of Auto Express today ((Issue 1338), I turned to the section marked top 10's, and to the top 10 best hot hatches:

1. Seat Leon SC Cupra
2. Fiesta ST
3 Golf GTI
4. Suzuki Swift sport
5. BMW M135i
6. Renault Megane 275
7. Skoda Octavia RS
8. Mini Cooper S
9. Peugeot 208GTI
10. Kia Pro_cee'd GT

No mention of the S3.... (or Golf R for that matter)

Am I missing something?

I'm glad it's not, therefore keeps the numbers fairly limited

They are not going to include all of the 2 litre turbo VAG cars - they have got 3 in there!

Really depends on the criteria for compiling the list. If you are looking for "Value for Money" or "Driving Thrills" then the S3 is out, beaten by the FWD Golf and Leon every time.

Even so, I though it would appear above Suzuki Swift sport or the Kia!!

ST is classic hit hatch.

3S and Glof R are more hyper hatches

(ST also much more fun and rewarding than 3S)

:p

Reactions: The Challinor
I imagine cost will be a factor in their considerations. As nice as the A3 is, a lot of people will reason that a Golf GTI/R, Leon Cupra or even Octavia vRS can provide a largely similar drive for less money.

Yep, my current Focus ST Estate in more fun than the S3 i'll possibly be changing to. Er hang on a minute :idea:

It doesn't matter. Its Auto Express!......... The Sunday Sport of car magazines.

If you look at the cars on that list, the s3 is in a different league. For example they have included the golf GTI so they arnt going to include the R as its a step above. Thats my view on it anyway.

Who takes any notice of Auto Express?

To be fair the S3 and Golf R are pitched above and out of the 'hot hatch' bracket. 300 Bhp and four wheel drive put them out of the reach of 'hot hatches'..

Surely the Octavia pushes the definition of "hot hatch"

It's ****** massive!!

It is massive the Octavia. You can see it from space I understand.....

Had a lift in my mate's vRS estate the other day, everything in the interior just screamed 'quality'. If this is anything to go by, I'm getting ready to have my socks blown off by my A3 when I pick it up. :)

Renault Megane 275 is the best driving car on that list, better than the Golf R, S3 and A45 too.
I expect the Fiesta ST is going to be more fun than the S3 too.

The S3 is reasonably good at a few things, just not brilliant at any of them.