1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd day and still none the wiser...

Happy Grumpz May 24, 2018

1. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic S-line owners group

The dealership attempting to fix the car is a different company/dealership from where I purchased it from.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Surely it doesn’t matter to them, as they will just put in warranty claims with Audi UK who would foot the bill.

4. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic S-line owners group

Seemingly it does matter.

If I went down the rejection route, the dealership where I purchased the car from will want a chance to be able to fix the issue first, so I’d be back to square one.

5. cjp2k

cjp2k Active Member Team Daytona saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Yes you by law have to give the supplying dealer an attempt to fix the car. The number of chances depends on how long you have owned the car for.

A rejection of tge car would be handled by tge supplying dealer

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  6. X3man

I wasn’t talking about rejection, which I can see why the selling dealer would need to action. I was referring to any warranty work which is charged back to Audi, so from that point of view the dealer where it is at doesn’t really car or bothered as they get the invoices paid by Audi.. it is a shame your car hasn’t been to supplying dealer, and to be honest if it was me, it has been so long now I would take it to them and commence rejection

cuke2u likes this.
  7. Happy Grumpz

Dear Mr Grumpz

We have fitted the mechatronics unit and this has not fixed the problem, we have now contacted technical again to advise it has not worked, I will give you a call once they have responded.

Kind Regards,

8. pagenotfound

pagenotfound Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group

Maybe time to see if the service department can seek a better way forward with Audi UK head office getting involved. This is costing time and money for Audi and they've replaced some fairly major components now. They might be better off fixing at their leisure and putting you in something comparable as a permanent solution.

9. Happy Grumpz

They’ve stuck me in a brand new (100 miles) A5 5dr, they can keep mine as long as they like hahaha

X3man likes this.
  10. pagenotfound

pagenotfound Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group

Are you happy for them to keep trying to fix then? How much warranty will be left on the car when you finally get it back so you know you are covered for anything that may get introduced during this work?

Can't do any harm to see if there is any other solution they can work out. I'm not meaning legal rejection but you may get a similar outcome if they are unable to fix it and ask Audi UK to look at a vehicle swap out. Of course, they could just say no and keep changing parts until you end up with Trigger's broom.

11. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

A a5 sportback? I think you should say I' ll keep this one please...

X3man likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. cjp2k

Mine has a slight whine noise at 60mph (190bhp manual ultra edition), my previous A4, which I wrote off (150bhp manual) had it at 50mph, local garage couldn't work out what it was.

I put it down to been normal, the ultra is geared slightly differently so that my guess to the speed difference, and having Michelin tyres, my colleague has got Bridgestone which are much louder and he cant hear it, but road noise is much louder so it wouldn't be as obvious

Can you re upload the noise video so I can compare it to mine....

14. Happy Grumpz

I’ve not much choice in the matter. Some people are saying ‘just reject it’, it’s not as simple as that. The car would have to be sent down to Stockport Audi and they’d have to be given a chance to try and repair the vehicle, basically I’d be back to square one.

The car was 1 year old when it went in

Haha, it’s a beautiful looking car and actually could be top of my list when I start looking at changing.

It’s on page 2

15. cjp2k

It says the video is no longer available...

16. gregpot2000

gregpot2000 Active Member

Hi There

I would say this is totally normal, my 190 does exactly the same, at the same speed/RPM. My B8.5 2.0tdi 136 also had the same noise, although at around 70. I think it's just a characteristic of the engine at certain speeds

17. Happy Grumpz

Hmmmm I’m not sure why, here you go...

cjp2k likes this.
  18. cjp2k

Thanks, that's totally different to mine, much higher pitched

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  19. Concerned Cat

Concerned Cat Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill Team Ibis Audi Avant Owner Group

Any news?

firebits likes this.
  20. Happy Grumpz

Just been updated...

They’re now going to replace the gearbox (at long last).

It’s on backorder and the dealership won’t receive it until 07/09

Psychoscot and Jcbmally like this.
  21. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left. X3 M-Sport Glacier Silver

You'll have e to get a welcome home card for the car when it's returned and a congratulations card for the garage for finally (hopefully) fixing the car.
    All joking aside mate hope it's the end of your troubles and you get many miles of enjoyment from it.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  22. cuke2u

Hopefully they'll also replace everything else bolted to the gearbox at the same time and have done with it...

Happy Grumpz and Jcbmally like this.
  23. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

24. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Snap. Ask about the new software. Have a look which version you get. Chinese or German made gearbox just out of interest . To be fair I haven’t looked myself.

25. cuke2u

The TDI gearbox is different from the 20l petrol engine and, as far as know, only the ones as fitted to mine will be Chinese made..

26. Happy Grumpz

The garage now have the gearbox and it's being fitted asap...

cuke2u, Jcbmally, X3man and 1 other person like this.
  27. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left. X3 M-Sport Glacier Silver

Good news mate, hopefully not to long to getting it back. You'll have to but the car a "welcome home gift"

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  28. cuke2u

Well if they're wrong its an expensive mistake and you have a brand new gearbox...

29. Happy Grumpz

Can you imagine the **** that’ll hit the fan if that doesn’t fix the issue :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Jcbmally and X3man like this.
  30. Concerned Cat

Concerned Cat Age & treachery will always overcome youth & skill Team Ibis Audi Avant Owner Group

Good luck

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  31. cuke2u

Quite, love to be fly on that wall. Stronic gearboxes must be running at £5k now?

Happy Grumpz and X3man like this.
  32. X3man

Ouch, not cheap :scared2:

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Happy Grumpz

For them ;)

X3man likes this.
  35. BarryG79

BarryG79 Well-Known Member

I was told £6k+ when mine was replaced last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuke2u likes this.
  36. Happy Grumpz

Soooooooooo as it stands...

The new gearbox has been fitted and the car has now been put back together.

Audi Uk have told the garage to do a full 4 wheel alignment to the vehicle, which is being carried out tomorrow.

Once that's been completed, the technician and the service manager are going to take it out for a final test drive to make sure that everything is 100% as it should be, once they are both happy they are going to 'invite' me to take the car for a test drive...

This is going to be interesting :icon thumright:

DaveW, BarryG79 and Jcbmally like this.
  37. cuke2u

I would say fingers crossed, however you've been here too many times now.
    Have a 'interesting' test drive...

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  38. Happy Grumpz

@cuke2u I'm now at the stage of 'expect the worst and hope for the best'...

BarryG79 likes this.
  39. cuke2u

Exactly how I would be, good luck...

40. BarryG79

BarryG79 Well-Known Member

Good luck with it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41. Concerned Cat

Good luck. Fingers crossed & all that.....

42. Jcbmally

Have you got the car back @Happy Grumpz

43. Happy Grumpz

Nope not yet, they can’t do the wheel alignment until Monday morning so it’s looking like I’ll get the car back Tuesday