1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd day and still none the wiser...

Happy Grumpz May 24, 2018

1. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

I know mate, plenty are not fans. I guess I am part of the Chelsea tractor brigade, but choose the Q5 for a number of reasons, wife likes elevated ride height, and hated A6. Clearance really helpful where I live, as we have stony gravel track where we live. Got stuck in snow drift in A6 earlier in the war which was the last straw, appreciate we don’t get that kind of snowfall very often.

Just done a 230+ mile drive up to Harrogate, and got 37+mpg in my 2.0 TFSI. So effortless and comfortable

cuke2u likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

With the way English roads are going where main A-Roads are turning into farm tracks with the amount of potholes / imperfections, I can totally understand going for ‘Chelsea tractors’ which seem to smooth the road better than their squatter counterparts.

The ride in the Q3 i have atm is more gentle, sure - less fun, but with the roads over the past 3 or so years getting considerably worse its noticeable.

In contrast - when I took my A4 over to France last year, I did not come across a single pothole or bad road despite some remote locations I visited, and it was a really pleasant drive! Actually same goes for Scotland.

X3man likes this.
  4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

WesT-gefül and X3man like this.
  5. X3man

Agree, roads in England are seriously appalling and getting worse. At least we don’t pay loads in taxes and road tax....oh yes we do!

6. X3man

7. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I move the motion to scrap fuel duty! It’s proven by freezing fuel duty that it increases GDP. The Government needs to get used to not getting these huge amounts via VAT & fuel duty when we go fully electric. Driving is heavily taxed. I’ve been hearing rumblings that government is going to unfreeze fuel duty. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-duty-may-be-lifted-to-help-meet-nhs-promises

8. cuke2u

9. cuke2u

X3man likes this.
  10. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic S-line owners group

So, the dealership have had my car for a total of 7 weeks (today) and it appears we're getting no further forward.

I did see my car last Friday when I went to pick up the Q5 and at that point it had no dashboard or centre console, the whole lot had been stripped out (except the VC) so that they could try and pinpoint the noise more easily.

At this point I'm not sure when enough is enough and I'm not really sure where to go next :( Hopefully I'll get to speak to the service manager later today.

I'm now starting to feel rather frustrated with the whole situation

11. X3man

Jeez, I am sure you are frustrated. As you say, at what point do they just look to replace, and send that one back to Audi

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  12. Avatar

13. pagenotfound

pagenotfound Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group

Will all those parts removed, here's hoping they can put them all back in without creating any new squeaks and rattles.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  14. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic S-line owners group

I said the same thing to the tech, he (and his manager) assured me it wouldn't rattle/squeak when it was all put back together.

15. cuke2u

So they can still still hear the noise with all those bits stripped out?

16. Happy Grumpz

Even clearer, they just can't pinpoint where it's coming from. They've been using 'chassis ears' to try and locate it but they've had no luck.

X3man likes this.
  17. cuke2u

Complex then, I had to look up chassis ears as well....

X3man and Happy Grumpz like this.
  18. Happy Grumpz

Ok so I've just had an another update...

They're 'certain' it's coming from the gearbox

X3man likes this.
  19. X3man

rogue nut in there. Hope this means nearing some form of resolution

20. cuke2u

DMF? The stronic has one.
    Sorry couldn't resist..

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  21. Happy Grumpz

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::icon thumright:

22. WesT-gefül

Oh wow. Not another one. Feel for you.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  23. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Started with nothing & still have most of it left. X3 M-Sport Glacier Silver

Must have been an old A6 if you had it in the war :salute:

X3man likes this.
  24. Happy Grumpz

This just more and more ridiculous...

Dear Mr Grumpz,

I can confirm that Technical have come back and advised to carry out a software update on the gearbox which we will be carrying out on Monday.

I will give you a call on Monday with an update once this has been carried out.

Kind Regards,

25. cuke2u

You never know, stay positive if you can...

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  26. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

So sorry to read all this. :( What a total nightmare. Hopefully you get a resolution soon or a new car.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  27. WesT-gefül

This is some mess. Here is hoping for a solution to restore your faith.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  28. X3man

haha, it was indeed....

Jcbmally likes this.
  29. Happy Grumpz

Surprise, surprise the software update didn’t fix the ‘mechanical sound’ :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I just laughed when they told me.

They’ve now gone back to Audi technical with the results and just waiting for their response.

The technician believes the next step has to be a new gearbox, fingers crossed.

30. Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3 Well-Known Member Team Ibis Team Panther Audi S4 Audi RS3 Audi Avant Owner Group

Can you not reject the car, I couldn’t handle this carry on

31. Happy Grumpz

My problem is, getting a replacement car with the same spec as mine

32. pjeffe9172

pjeffe9172 Active Member Team V6 Team Navarra Audi RS4

This sounds like Trigger's broom in Only Fools and Horses! soon it will be a brand new car with all the replacement parts.....

33. Avatar

34. Spaceman_RS3

Spaceman_RS3 Well-Known Member Team Ibis Team Panther Audi S4 Audi RS3 Audi Avant Owner Group

After all that **** think I would be happy with the cash back and go elsewhere

35. WesT-gefül

Snap... we will both be new Gearbox buddies. Means you won’t have to service it for another 38k

36. cuke2u

I think I must have just got lucky with just a 'mere' parking soleniod failure..

37. Happy Grumpz

Well that’s it...

Zero update on the situation so tonight I’ve rang Audi UK to escalate the case.

They’ve had my car 8 weeks tomorrow, I’ve given them long enough.

X3man likes this.
  38. cuke2u

Definately, time to talk about a replacement. They've given it their best shot, if you can call it best...

39. cjp2k

cjp2k Active Member Team Daytona saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

If the car is under audi finance talk to them. It was their team who forced the dealer into rejection on my first car.

40. Happy Grumpz

Thanks chaps.

I'm still waiting for Audi Uk to call me back, I was told it would be around 14:30 today. I'm going to mention rejecting the car and see where the conversation leads.

Anyways today's update from the garage...

Dear Mr Grumpz,

I can confirm that the factory have come back and confirmed we will need to get the car to temperature and test it, then spray solution and re test.

If this does not work we will need to replace a propshaft from a donor vehicle and then re test.

As soon as we have done the above I will give you a further update.

This is now absolutely crazy, I've totally had enough of the whole situation.

X3man likes this.
  41. cuke2u

Seems like they are using the suck it and see diagnostic procedure. If you are that fed up then you will probably never be totally happy with the car thus I wouldn't just mention rejection I would say that is the only acceptable resolution..

X3man likes this.
  42. X3man

Wow, cannot believe this has gone on so long mate, gutted for you. Agree, say you want to reject, and they can leave you with a suitable loaner until it arrives :wtf:

43. Happy Grumpz

I'm just not sure how rejection would work as I purchased the vehicle used (from Audi).

Does anyone know if they would try and replace the vehicle? As ideally, that's what I'd want.