1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd day and still none the wiser...

Happy Grumpz May 24, 2018

1. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter S-line owners group TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic

I’m going to mention this to them, see what they say :icon thumright:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. f1nny

f1nny Active Member Saloon Team Tango S-line owners group Audi A4 Manual

Audi couldn’t find an issue with it.

Like your it only seemed to happen after 30 mins of driving. The noise seemed to come from behind the dashboard in the engine bay. This was on an A3 thought. Not sure if they new 2.0tdi is still part of the ea288 engine series. I got rid of the car in the end, not because of that noise though.

However I have come across some tech lit that shows that the high pressure part of the oil pump in the engine kicks in at 3000 rpm.

5281946F-5A9A-4B9C-ACCF-ABB170AD6886.png

This could all be totally unrelated to your issue but thought I’d share as mine 2as a buzzing mechanical sound.

4. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I also have heard this on the A6 but only once I get the car out. Sounds exactly the same. Like a system that runs when powering down. Could be something in the oil pump.

5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

That could easily be the coolant pump or,on a diesel, the radiator fan running after a regen?

6. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Well-Known Member Team Glacier Silver Supporter S-line owners group TDi saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic

Today’s update...

The noise isn’t coming from the pedal area anymore, the now think it’s coming from around the gearbox.

7. cuke2u

DMF? I believe the stronic has one...

8. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Oh man. It’s like pick and mix. Sorry to hear

9. Happy Grumpz

Sorry @cuke2u, it’s been a long week already... DMF?

Edit: just googled it lol, if it was an issue with that, you’d have though they’d have heard that noise before, but who knows.

Yup, tell me about it.

10. cuke2u

You would have thought so however, these days, if it doesn't give out a fault code than they appear to be lost for what to do..

11. Happy Grumpz

Very true

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. cuke2u

Same scenario with our new Fiesta, although not as worrying. When we close the tailgate often as not the car will indicate it isn't closed properly, puddle lights stay on and the horn 'parps' twice when trying to lock it. They had the car in friday and found no fault code so they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and maybe it is just because it is new, LOL.
    Car is currently with Ford as I dumped it back on their forecourt Monday first thing as it did it again Friday evening and we have a salespersons own vehicle as a loaner.
    They have to deal with me now, not my partner so I have their full attention...

X3man likes this.
  14. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

I always find their "minds" are more focussed when you have one of the staff cars :icon thumright:

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  15. cuke2u

Possibly, however in talking to the salesperson he wasn't bothered at all if it got damaged...

16. X3man

Don’t think they are bothered if it gets damaged, but more would
    Like wheels back quickly.

17. cuke2u

Quite...

18. doncarlyon

doncarlyon Member

ha ha good old Ford

On my Mk1 Focus RS, a fix for a tailgate "knock" when going over bumps was to put some insulating tape around the locking post. (if that is the right term for it).

X3man likes this.
  19. Happy Grumpz

Today’s update...

They have the whole dash out and have been driving it like that to try and pinpoint the noise (still no luck) although with the dash out it’s now easier to hear.

They’re now using ‘chassis ears’ to help locate the noise.

It gets crazier and crazier.

I finally lost my blob yesterday as this is now 6 weeks. I told them I wanted a better car than the A3 they’ve provided, Audi uk are now involved and they’re providing me a ‘like for like’ car tomorrow. When I asked them to explain what their ‘like for like’ policy was, I was told it could be an A3, A4 or A5. I told the guy if it’s an A3 then they’ll be taking it straight back lol.

And so it continues

X3man likes this.
  20. cuke2u

Well aside from the urgent safety recall for a faulty servo, which they weren't able to look at for four weeks, so much for being urgent, and a puncture in the first week of ownership our new fiesta is proving to be no better, or worse, than an A4 it seems.
    The tailgate issue is no more, in my eyes, than a simple adjustment of the locking mechanism, but hey, if it doesn't give a fault code then, obviously, owners are telling lies...

21. Happy Grumpz

It’s 9:44 I’ve had 3 calls and been offered the following cars (after telling them it has to be an A4 size car with 4 doors and an automatic)

Golf GTI
    Tiguan manual
    2x A5 coupe

Lol, it’s going to be a long day

X3man likes this.
  22. Happy Grumpz

Well, it looks like I’m getting an A6 Avant

X3man, DaveW, cuke2u and 1 other person like this.
  23. X3man

Nice, my old car, you won’t want to give it back, apart from the older Tech.

My Q5 went in on Tuesday for minor rattle (which I had pinpointed to them) and was given A6 avant for the day. Is a lovely car, but I do prefer my Q5

24. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

Sorry to hear about all your troubles @Happy Grumpz ! Makes one glad that I've not had any frustrating noises within the 55k I've put on it!
    Makes my frustration with dealership doing bodyshop work on mine delaying it because they did not book into service dept. for radar recalibration a rather minor thing! I'm just keen to have mine back.

In saying that, I am currently pottering around in a rental 67 plate Merc C220 Estate with 10k on the clock, and the amount of buzzes / rattles in it are shocking. The build quality and functionality in the car is not a patch on the A4! I did have the C-Class on my side list when choose the A4, glad now I didn't waste my time in testing the Mercedes out!

Happy Grumpz and X3man like this.
  25. Happy Grumpz

Honestly, it’s like Comedy Central...

There appears to be an issue with the A6 and they now can’t provide that so they’ve now offered me a Q5 instead

26. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver S-line owners group Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Wow, nightmare

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  27. cuke2u

Enterprise rentals not suprised, this is the state of the a5 coupe they gave me that I rejected:
    DSC_0321.JPG DSC_0320.JPG

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  28. Happy Grumpz

What a clip that is.

cuke2u likes this.
  29. cuke2u

It was described to me, rather estatically by audi assistence, as being a a5 saloon. I rather feel enterprise rental are taking the pee out of audi..

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  30. Fozzie1960

Fozzie1960 Active Member TFSI Owners Group Team Tango S-line owners group saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic

I know this is a difficult time for you, but I have to post this. I have just started wearing an hearing aid. I am beginning to wish I hadn't as I can hear all manner of creaks and groans when I'm driving.

31. Happy Grumpz

Sorry @Fozzie1960 but that really did make me laugh out loud.

Hopefully Audi ain’t reading this otherwise I feel this may be their solution...

https://goo.gl/images/A377Sp

maui and WesT-gefül like this.
  32. Fozzie1960

Fozzie1960 Active Member TFSI Owners Group Team Tango S-line owners group saloon Audi A4 quattro S tronic

Don’t be sorry @Happy Grumpy I wanted the post to be light-hearted.

Happy Grumpz likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Happy Grumpz

Say again, I didn’t hear you...

:icon thumright:

WesT-gefül, X3man and Fozzie1960 like this.
  35. Fozzie1960

It’s half past 10 - lol

WesT-gefül and Happy Grumpz like this.
  36. Happy Grumpz

Well, well, well...

Today was a rather nice surprise. They've provided a brand spanking new Q5 S-line :icon thumright:

What a beautiful car to drive and just be in, very similar inside to the A4 but obviously with a much better view.

I'm driving from Newcastle to Farnham tonight so that should be fun.

scotty76, X3man, Daggerit and 2 others like this.
  37. maui

maui Active Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

Glad they got you moving in a decent vehicle, I had a colleague that got a Q5 a few months after I got the A4 and it is very similar inside - nice height and drive.

Hopefully won't be getting too used to it and they get your car back soon!

38. X3man

Careful, they (Q5's) get slagged off on here, being an SUV and all that, I love mine :icon thumright:

39. cuke2u

I don't know what you mean :whistle2:

X3man likes this.
  40. X3man

didn't want to say your name :chuncky:

41. cjp2k

cjp2k Active Member Team Daytona S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

If its from Eurocar be careful on charges for fuel not replenished, we had a replacement car from Eurocar provided by Audi, it came with 1 bar of fuel missing, I returned it with 1 bar of fuel missing,

Eurocar billed audi for £33.52 for non returned fuel, who then billed me.

I had already made the replacement vehicle team aware it wasn't full, but had to email it to them, when I was talking to the lady at Audi replacement vehicle team, the first thing she said "was it eurocar"apparently they try it on all of the time

I rang the local depot who dropped the car off and was told they had mistakenly invoiced me for 22 litres of fuel.

Even if I had owed them fuel, there was no way to squeeze another 22 litres into the fuel tank!

Happy Grumpz and X3man like this.
  42. cuke2u

I am not the only one, but I have no ruck with anyone who purchases a 4x4 for its true purpose. Its just those silly awful jacked up estates that seem to be pushed out like there's no tomorrow...

43. Happy Grumpz

My opinion on the Q5 after doing a 311 mile journey... (for anyone interested)

It’s alright, it’s not as nice inside as my A4, the MMI controls are definitely not as nice buts it’s alright.

I love the placement of the wireless charger, it’s very slick the way it slides back and forth.

I was impressed with the mpg, it managed 44.5! That’s not bad for a big old bus imo.

scotty76 and X3man like this.