3GP/+ Google Earth Overlay Works Again!

OliNix

Reaction score
Just thought I would select google earth in map type in my MMI to be greeted with the depressing not working message, and to my shock it loaded and is working!!

Can anyone shed any light on how or why??
0b9cc7a2d88c48bddf56515c1f3ee83b.jpg

OliNix
B8.5 S4 Avant - Glacier White

I can't answer your question as I don't have that on mine But @Dippy , didn't you have an issue with this as well? Might be worth checking if your has resurrected itself as well.

Audi’s position was that as of Dec ‘20 that the google earth overlay would no longer work on pre-2018 vehicles.

Google were supposedly turning off the services required for it as they are old legacy services. For this reason a Maxar Maps (Same as Google Earth, but hosted by a consortium of Auto makers) update was developed, but according to Audi it needed newer hardware to run.

This left B8, B8.5 and B9 users out of luck with no maps.

Since Dec this has been the case for me and the maps would not load.

So anyone who thought that it will never work again, give it a go!

OliNix

Reactions: jdp1962
I posted this elsewhere in this forum, but confirming Googe Earth satellite maps started working for me again yesterday on my 2017 A6 3.0T. Reading other reports that Google made a change on their end that fixed this for some but not all models, but no idea if this is permanent or just fleeting.

It's difficult for me to be sure because my in-car SIM expired last year and due to covid restrictions I'm not using the S5 much so I decided not to renew it. However the last few times I used the car on previous weeks I got a message on the MMI that Google maps are not working. Over the weekend I did not see that message so maybe something has changed. I'm only travelling locally and my SatNav still has Google maps in memory so I haven't seen any differences anyway.

I understand that there is a workaround for the Google issue and a member alias congo on A5OC has details. I would have to update my MMI FW to use it and I was waiting until we're out of lockdown before looking into it.

This is odd, I've got a 2016 SQ5 with MMI 3g plus (I think), the one with 2 SD and 1 sim slots. I thought Google Earth was gone for good so let my 3 data sim expire last year, just checked it and Google Earth is back!!! Connect confirms I need more data though.

I don't think the map's zooming into the same resolution so am guessing that it's reverted to cached information from way back. I've ordered a 1gb 1 month data card from 3 (under £5) just to test it, Fingers crossed.

Reactions: -Ju-
This is odd, I've got a 2016 SQ5 with MMI 3g plus (I think), the one with 2 SD and 1 sim slots. I thought Google Earth was gone for good so let my 3 data sim expire last year, just checked it and Google Earth is back!!! Connect confirms I need more data though.

I don't think the map's zooming into the same resolution so am guessing that it's reverted to cached information from way back. I've ordered a 1gb 1 month data card from 3 (under £5) just to test it, Fingers crossed.

Mine 100% isn’t cached, it just loaded again

I cleared the NAV database and cleared the GEMMI cache in mid-Dec when I updated my maps. It hasn’t worked since then; till now

OliNix

Mine 100% isn’t cached, it just loaded again

I cleared the NAV database and cleared the GEMMI cache in mid-Dec when I updated my maps. It hasn’t worked since then; till now

OliNix
Good news, what MMI system do you have, screen looks similar to mine?

Please let us know - if yours works then I'll get a new SIM for mine.

Good news, what MMI system do you have, screen looks similar to mine?

The 3G plus one (2SD slots and a sim slot in the middle)

In the menu it is HN+_EU_AU3G_K0900

I think the Q5 is HN+R_EU_AU3G_K0900. They are the same system

OliNix

The 3G plus one (2SD slots and a sim slot in the middle)

In the menu it is HN+_EU_AU3G_K0900

I think the Q5 is HN+R_EU_AU3G_K0900. They are the same system

OliNix

Sounds promising but not going to count my chickens just yet!!!

Mine is HN+_EU_AU3G_PO925 so not a million miles away - hopefully.

How about swapping the SIM from a mobile phone into the MMI temporarily to see if it works. If it does, you know to order a new SIM.

How about swapping the SIM from a mobile phone into the MMI temporarily to see if it works. If it does, you know to order a new SIM.

This works, I use a “free” sim I get with my virgin media broadband in my car.

OliNix

Sounds promising but not going to count my chickens just yet!!!

Mine is HN+_EU_AU3G_PO925 so not a million miles away - hopefully.

P0925 is a factory flashed firmware. The firmware version doesn’t affect it at all.

When you update the firmware it goes to K instead of P. The last 4 digits are the firmware version (mine is old, the latest is 0942)

Reactions: SteveMcB

Never thought of that TBH, mind you tried a vodafone top up sim in it last year and it didn't connect. Only ever had it on 3 internet with legs 12gb 12 month, they've got a 24 out now as well for £30 so I'll get that - if the £5 1gb works.

P0925 is a factory flashed firmware. The firmware version doesn’t affect it at all.

When you update the firmware it goes to K instead of P. The last 4 digits are the firmware version (mine is old, the latest is 0942)

Good to know.

New data sim in and we're back in business, hopefully it's permanent but I'll hang off for 2 or 3 weeks before ordering the 24gb 24 month card.
Thanks for the heads up guys.

I'm letting others do the heavy lifting :whip:

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but I've just got off the phone to the Audi Connect helpline to ask them about Google Earth overlay re-appearing and they told me that this is purely temporary and will be disappearing again, although he couldn't tell me when. So it doesn't look as though Audi and Google have resolved their differences (whether they be technical or financial) and we'll be back to 'standard" maps again in the near future. This of course applies to MY18 or earlier cars.

Google earth overlay wars working again sincère endroit of march as OliNix, but IT stopped working since few days
Are you facing same issue ?
Thanks for your answers.

Attachments

• 95B59E69-BA1F-48D1-A757-CC62BB7D19CA.jpeg
    95B59E69-BA1F-48D1-A757-CC62BB7D19CA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 181
Google earth overlay was working again since end of march as OliNix, but IT stopped working since few days
Thanks for your answers.

Attachments

• 14BA82CA-39AD-4438-A027-6B93C20FB3A4.jpeg
    14BA82CA-39AD-4438-A027-6B93C20FB3A4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
Google earth overlay was working again since end of march as OliNix, but IT stopped working since few days
Thanks for your answers.

Yep same here

Looks like we are back to 2008 again!

OliNix

I suggest you read this thread as there is a guy (congo) who has a way of getting Google Earth (GE) back working for Nvidia units.
and another link:
I have received the files from congo and need to find time next weekend to carry out the seemingly simple instructions. As you don't pay him until you are sure it works there seems little risk. And he confirms that the other Audi Connect features are untouched.

This works perfectly! Nik (aka congo) sent me the files which I then copied onto an SD card (note that it must be done on a Windows machine and not a Mac). He includes a well illustrated user guide which gives the step by step instructions. This procedure copies information onto the SD card, the contents of which you then send back to him as a zip file. Almost by return he sends another zip file, the contents of which you again copy onto the SD card. He includes yet another illustrated user guide and in a matter of minutes Google Earth is active again! There is no effect on other Connect functions. I don't know how he does it but it is like magic! I can't praise Nik enough for developing this and he doesn't expect you to pay until you're sure it works. It is also covered by a 6 month guarantee - if before the end of the 6th month the software is not able to function correctly anymore and he's not able to fix it, you will receive a 50% refund. The cost is a one-off payment of 180 Euros which I think is very fair to get this Google Earth feature working again.

This works perfectly! Nik (aka congo) sent me the files which I then copied onto an SD card (note that it must be done on a Windows machine and not a Mac). He includes a well illustrated user guide which gives the step by step instructions. This procedure copies information onto the SD card, the contents of which you then send back to him as a zip file. Almost by return he sends another zip file, the contents of which you again copy onto the SD card. He includes yet another illustrated user guide and in a matter of minutes Google Earth is active again! There is no effect on other Connect functions. I don't know how he does it but it is like magic! I can't praise Nik enough for developing this and he doesn't expect you to pay until you're sure it works. It is also covered by a 6 month guarantee - if before the end of the 6th month the software is not able to function correctly anymore and he's not able to fix it, you will receive a 50% refund. The cost is a one-off payment of 180 Euros which I think is very fair to get this Google Earth feature working again.

How did you get in contact with him?
- Forum message?
- Does he have a website?
- I assume he has an email?

Do you know if he has a preferred way of being contacted? I want to do my B8.5 and also my old mans C7 Allroad

OliNix

His email address is info@audi-mib.bg
Website is: http://audi-mib.bg
Email is easiest way but his mobile number is +359 883 269 788
Any questions from a user's POV don't hesitate to ask me. I'm no technical wizz so if I can do it then anyone can.....

His email address is info@audi-mib.bg
Website is: http://audi-mib.bg
Email is easiest way but his mobile number is +359 883 269 788
Any questions from a user's POV don't hesitate to ask me. I'm no technical wizz so if I can do it then anyone can.....

Thanks, I actually engaged my brain after asking instead of being lazy!

Post #1 here explains everything he needs and how to get in contact: https://www.a5oc.com/threads/google-earth-for-mmi-3g.176093/

If you hit the contact button, he has setup a specific email for it: gemmi@audi-mib.bg (If you hit contact from within the Tapatalk app it doesn’t work, just open it in a browser and do it.

Is it back up and running now, the thread above has a recent post on it to say some systems now have connectivity. On a different note, my Audi connect has expired but I have to use my own data sim in my A3 2015. Do I still have to pay for Audi connect for the Google overlay to work (if it does now), or will me just topping up my data sim be enough for the overlay ?

Google Earth has gone for good on earlier cars (certainly my 2014) but the guy I mentioned in my post above can re-activate it. Audi say it is physically impossible but I can vouch that it works perfectly.
AFAIK Audi Connect is now a subscription model and costs (I think) £115 per year. It was supposed to be free for 3 years but they never got their act together - thank goodness. And it doesn't give you Google Earth overlay! It allows you to continue to use the Hot Spot and gives the most up to date traffic info, petrol prices, news etc. Whether it's worth that price is a personal decision. Mine is due for renewal in August and I haven't decided if it's worth it yet. If you have a data SIM in your car which I assume you do then that doesn't give you anything without the Connect licence. And of course it doesn't give you map updates (although if you speak to the man in my post above he can sort that as well!). It is disgusting that VW gives you free lifetime map updates whereas Audi want to charge a huge amount.

This is good to know and I'll keep it in mind, however just recently we went on a staycation and travelled the length of Wales and into the Peak District and whatever textures I had cached from Google disappeared. At first I found the retro maps strange but I got used to them really quickly. I use satnav so rarely now that I'll not bother trying the fix for now.

This is good to know and I'll keep it in mind, however just recently we went on a staycation and travelled the length of Wales and into the Peak District and whatever textures I had cached from Google disappeared. At first I found the retro maps strange but I got used to them really quickly. I use satnav so rarely now that I'll not bother trying the fix for now.

I've got a 16 plate and paid for the update mentioned above. It's been pretty much OK since then, about 12 months. Occasionally when I go somewhere new it doesn't load up properly, ie it's blurred, but the fix is either to switch the data module off and on (sometimes works), reboot MMI (usually works) or failing that clear the Google cache and reboot MMI- you need green screen activated for that though.