3D Tv

StateOfPlay

Reaction score
Having seen a live game of football on 3D TV at my local pub recently, I was really impressed with how damn good it was!

However, before I go splashing out on a 3D TV, I wondered if anyone has got and used 3D TV at home? If so, is it worth the money? Are there many programmes in 3D? Is the TV reliable?

Dude it wasnt 3dtv, you were just ****** as a fart :p

Reactions: StateOfPlay
Yeah, I thought I was ****** as a fart right up until they told me I had to put the frikkin glasses on, and then I realised I was still sober:(

3D is great for the first week you own it, after that you will never use it again haha.. At least that was the case for me..

Sitting in the front room with 3D bins on watching telly is not right

I will save me money and spend it on paying off my debts instead lol. My debts are in real 3D :)

Thats a coincidence.I set up my new tv yesterday having finally succumbed to switching to led from crt.I would not have changed but for the upcoming digital switchover and that my guns were on the way out, as i feel that the 'new' digital screens aint all that (and im right).So ive set up the telly (samsung 6530 40"), the blu ray (samsung bd-d5500) new skyhd 1tb box.And whats this....two silly pairs of glasses!Active 3d jobbies!.So there i am, uncomfortable goggles on, and ****** that i have no 3d muckychukkys, i put in drive angry and await the amazement of blistering 3d.I get past the set upscreen and on to the main movie.Within minutes the goggles are off, and im back to the menu to change it to 2d.For me, its awful and does my head in.The effects?pretty juvenile really.More like layered flat images that create a bit of depth.Like that viewmaster thingy in the sixties/seventies.So no, I think its **** and definately not worth the extra.The glasses will be on ebay soon.In fact the ****** telly will be too if its not careful.....i can no longer watch gold on sky as the quality is abysmal.HD is ok, freeview hd worse than a matsui video player.Maybe its just me.Blu ray is ok though

well ive sorted out my problem....stuffs going om ebay and sky have lost a hd customer

sky have lost a hd customer

Fecking A, sky suck my chocolate salty balls, hate the bar stewards, best thing I did was get shot of them & never missed them since, £60 a month better of!!!!!

Sky or Exspensive BluRays is the way to go for 3D there isnt in much in the way of contact yet, also do you want to sit around the room in funny glasses and have headaches?

I'm just about to buy a new tv and I have been doing plenty of reseach.
1. The 3d Home technology is still in its infancy, 3D TV is still very limited (from what I understand)
2. As someone pointed out, the glasses can cause headaches and are generally uncomfortable (even the cheap ones from cinemas are a pain)
3. In 2-4 yrs you will be able to buy 3d tvs without the need for those silly glasses. (I think its just been completed in Japan but not being mass produced) (Active / or passive 3D)
4. In order to watch DVDs in 3d you will also need a new player. i.e. more cash to spend
5. How much 3d tv are you going to really watch?

So in my opinion (for what its worth) is to by a decent LED, Panasonic do a top of the range 42" at about £600 :) and then wait until the the tech has matured, there's more things to watch, and you don't need to wear glasses!

I hope this helps!

my 46" SAMSUNG LCD 3d tv cost £700 in currys. id spend that for the sake of 3 years worth of watching. Its worth it in my opinion.

you can also watch anything in 3d u kno that right?
(tv renders the picture in 3d mode works on anything u watch normal tv, games or dvd/blu ray etc)

ps3 is also a 3D console and player so u can play any 3d comptible games in true 3D and others in artificially created 3D and also 3d blu rays and anything else in 3d as above.

It's very gimmicky IMO. Not worth the money, buy a good tv and blu ray and your set :)

It's an interesting concept, but as a glasses wearer who can't get on with contact lenses I feel (and look) like an utter **** burglar wearing 2 pairs of specs.

3D is very nice and that, but to my eyes it's nod really what I'd call 3D. It's more like multilayering (foreground and background ) but still with flat images - no sense of shape to the object which is in my mind what 3D is.

Very clever, and given you can buy a TV with 3D for very little money if it's on the TV fair enough. But I wouldn't go out and buy one to replace the TV I have (just for the 3D content), as proper 3D content is rare and like the VHS / Betamax fewd I will be waiting until the telly pops or a standard format to be decided before forking out on any new gadge.

Its still in its infancy so i am going to wait a little longer for the bigger sets (55") to come down in price!!

I got it and its a great TV

3D is good - it is a bit gimicky....but......i watched Saw 3D last night and was very good.

Am waiting for Avatar 3D to arrive which is sposed to be awesome.
Technology moves quicly...that we cannot avoid....but if you are after fairly decent set I think they will generalyl come with 3D at no extra...so cannot complain.

3D is good but its more of a gimmick at this stage plus the glasses aren't great after prolonged use.

Avatar 3D was on last xmas and was amazing. Well worth it.

There aren't enough 3D channels to justify buying it (just for 3D) but if the set is a reasonable price and the 3D doesn't cost much more then I think its worth it. More movies are being filmed in 3D so it should get more content.

Dont forget that SKY 3D is half the resolution of normal HD because its 2 screens (left/Right eye) are shown next to each other on a frame. When the TV is set to 3D it then combines the 2 images to make one. So thats why the resolution isn't as good............but football does show off the 3D, with players running behind each other etc, etc.

I think it will come into its own in the next couple of years...................but in a couple of years the technology might move in a completely new 3D direction. Maybe without the use of glasses.

I wanted to like 3D but just makes me ill. Back when they originally announced and demonstrated 3D Sharp where using screens that didn’t require glasses, in my opinion the current implementation isn’t great and will be waiting to see if things improve.

Well got my D8000 with a well deserved £300 off. Very nice indeed. l got a monster hdmi hdmi cable with it as well , for free, and decided l would use this with the PS3 and use the old hdmi PS3 cable with sky, which cost £75 then. But so far the tv doesnt like the old one. l switched on the PS3 and it found l was using a 3d tv, nice l thought. But now the tv wont accept using the old hdmi cable, so l have had to take the old one out of the system and now l have to fork out for another up to date hdmi cable for the PS3. Anyone up to speed on this?

All hdmi cables are the same, so obviously the old one has some issues, digital signals arent improved by expensive cables mate, just buy another cheap version & that should suffice, never bought expensive hdmi cables in my life & all works fine.

There is a pretty decent hdmi cable on amazon for about £11 just now, apparently reduced from about £60. I got a few when I got my 3d tv. True that the signal being digital means jack for the transfer of data. But shielding can make a deifference depending on what other cables are in close proximity. But that one on amazon does the job.

As for the 3d tv debate. I didn't care a toss whether my tv had 3d or not. Instead, I wanted a "near" reference HD picture. Thus I went for the Panasonic VT30. Which happens to also be the best 3d tv on the market. I love it, but by no means watch most of my stuff in 3d. The HD picture is amazing though. Excellent blacks, and all that.

As said above, your probably somewhere around 5 years for 3d to get good, work the bugs out, and reduce in price. For me though, I change my tv every 5-6 years anyway, and my old set was 6 years old, so it was time for me to upgrade regardless. I personally wanted the best 2d picture, and got it.

The Samsung no doubt is the more aesthetically pleasing screen in your room. Love the look of it with no bezel, and super thin. But I personally preffered the cleaner picture on the Panasonic.

But I will say this for 3d movies, as I do currently own MOST of then on Blu Ray. A Turtles Tale has the best 3d effects I have seen thus far. Its a kids film, and not really a very good one either, but the 3D is the best I have seen thus far.

I recently went a bit crazy on best buy closing down sale and brought myself a 3dtv and amp. The tv i brought is the top of the range Sony 55" KDL55HX923 from £2600 to £1400 which i thought was a bargain and couldn't resist, especially replacing my old 36" CRT! i then upgraded my amp to a Pioneer VSX-LX55 only due to needing HDMI connections and 3D compatibility.

I have to say the picture quality on the sony is amazing due to it being full LED backlight rather then edge LED lit. This enables it to do local dimming of individual groups of LEDS so blacks are truely black and colours are nice, vivid and bright. The 3D feature is good but only tested it out on the supplied internet media through TV. But was impressed with it so 3D Bluray disc should be awesome. Also the supplied Sony glasses are rechargable and only needs to be charges twice a year according to manual. This is nice as my cousin Samsung glasses are battery operated and needs replacing when dead. Looks wise, the Sony looks the part with it sleek design. When off it looks like a black pane of glass. The screen is glorrila glass so is tough and scratch resistant. As you can tell i would recommend it.

Obviously watching live games, movies and any things are good but when you watch anything at 3d tv so you should wear glass, so it just like a bound ion. I have LG tv 32’ich and i like it.

i dont think there worth the extra money tbh

TBH you don't pay any more for the fact it is 3d when you are looking at top end HDTV's anyway. It's included in the price. As said before, mine was bought for the HD picture, 3D was just a bonus. I didn't pay any more than I was planning on spending on a 2D TV so there was no extra cost involved.