Audi A3 2009 ABS Pump / ECU Fault

Which option shall I pick?

• Ask the mechanic to take the unit off and send it back to be re-examined. Hope they find what is wro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a second opinion from a second garage hoping they are able to fault find and offer a cheaper sol

• Buy a brand new unit and spend upwards of £1000 on top of the additional £450 I have already spent.

• Total voters

ampash

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. Recently my car has developed an intermittent fault with the ABS unit. I have attached a picture of warning lights appearing on my dashboard.

I was told by a local mechanic that the ABS unit can be sent off for refurbishment to a 3rd party who repair them and send them back. This avoids having to lay out so much money for a brand new part. This whole process cost me close to £450 to do this but after having the unit returned the faults were still there with no change.

Now I am being told I should buy a new unit costing £950 + VAT which is a complete set along with ECU section and ABS pump.

I am not sure what to do. My options are:

1. Ask the mechanic to take the unit off and send it back to be re-examined. Hope they find what is wrong with it. As the fault is intermittent I am concerned they might not find anything again.
  2. Get a second opinion from a second garage hoping they are able to fault find and offer a cheaper solution?
  3. Buy a brand new unit and spend upwards of £1000 on top of the additional £450 I have already spent.
If you need more information please let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190415-182216_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190415-182216_Photos.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 766
Im.sure there was a recal for your car about the abs unit on another post you may just be able to take it to audi and have it sorted

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi,

I am looking for some advice. Recently my car has developed an intermittent fault with the ABS unit. I have attached a picture of warning lights appearing on my dashboard.

I was told by a local mechanic that the ABS unit can be sent off for refurbishment to a 3rd party who repair them and send them back. This avoids having to lay out so much money for a brand new part. This whole process cost me close to £450 to do this but after having the unit returned the faults were still there with no change.

Now I am being told I should buy a new unit costing £950 + VAT which is a complete set along with ECU section and ABS pump.

I am not sure what to do. My options are:

1. Ask the mechanic to take the unit off and send it back to be re-examined. Hope they find what is wrong with it. As the fault is intermittent I am concerned they might not find anything again.
  2. Get a second opinion from a second garage hoping they are able to fault find and offer a cheaper solution?
  3. Buy a brand new unit and spend upwards of £1000 on top of the additional £450 I have already spent.
If you need more information please let me know.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=387149&share_fid=2376&share_type=t

Check back on a couple of posts on here mine was done as a recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I will ring Audi tomorrow and feedback.

Is it definitely the unit at fault?
Yes, the mechanic said the fault codes point to the unit. I've not verified it myself because I don't have the technical knowledge nor hardware to diagnose.

I spoke with Audi dealership this morning who took the car registration number off me and advised me that there is no recall on my vehicle. I am going to get the mechanic to provide me details of the fault codes and I'll share in this thread.

I spoke with Audi dealership this morning who took the car registration number off me and advised me that there is no recall on my vehicle. I am going to get the mechanic to provide me details of the fault codes and I'll share in this thread.
Woulsnt take everything audi says or any other dealership as ghospel when it comes to recals

Very recently had the same thing.. Ended up costing me £1200 in total from Audi (including £200 discount as they didn't put car back together properly the first time) as was fed up with sending back 'refurbished' units

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: e9_mustii
Very recently had the same thing.. Ended up costing me £1200 in total from Audi (including £200 discount as they didn't put car back together properly the first time) as was fed up with sending back 'refurbished' units

Can you tell me what work they carried out which came to £1200? Was it a particular part or software update etc? I am guessing it was the ABS / ECU unit itself?

Can you tell me what work they carried out which came to £1200? Was it a particular part or software update etc? I am guessing it was the ABS / ECU unit itself?
Removal of old pump, installing of new pump (960 plus vat I believe for part), bleeding of brakes etc and programming of new unit.. Would've been £1400 if they hadn't done something a bit wrong!