35/ 40 TFSI MPG

tsb2990

Reaction score
hi all,
Just got my a4 BE 35 tfsi comfort and sound. Amazing car so far but it is drinking petrol.
Out of interest, what is everyone getting out of theirs generally? And did it improve much as the engine runs in?
Ive done 2 full tank fills so far and got 39mpg and 40mpg out of it. Long motorway runs and country roads.
Thanks

hi all,
Just got my a4 BE 35 tfsi comfort and sound. Amazing car so far but it is drinking petrol.
Out of interest, what is everyone getting out of theirs generally? And did it improve much as the engine runs in?
Ive done 2 full tank fills so far and got 39mpg and 40mpg out of it. Long motorway runs and country roads.
Thanks

You say it drinks it but 39/40 sounds quite respectable to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xsombe
What mpg were you expecting to get?
Doesn’t sound too bad, especially if it’s not fully run in yet.

hi all,
Thanks
I could never get more than 35 MPG on my 40 TFSI and because of this, I sold it 6 months later. Now have an A6 C8 diesel (40 TDI Quattro) and getting 50+ MPG.

Reactions: monkeyhanger
So easy to get far more than that on A roads. Generally, in comparing my current A4 with that of a 2.0l diesel in my mondeo, on the same 180 mile run there is no difference but more fun..

More fun hammers the mpg.

I don't have the 40TFSI, but I do have the same engine in 200ps stock tune in our Polo GTI+. MPG is so dependent on distance and keeping a light foot on the throttle. It's got a dual personality. Below a 20kW output it's running on the Budack cycle, lean with a high effective compression ratio. Running like that the mpg is coming close to diesel. Above 20kW you're running the normal otto cycle under normal (for a petrol) compression ratio.

With the Polo GTI sat at motorway speeds, the car spends maybe 30% of its time running the Budack cycle, around the doors maybe 10%. Those figures must be much lower lugging the extra weight of an A4.

In the GTI, I averaged 38mpg with my 13 mile commute. On a 90 mile journey to York from Newcastle, I averaged 46mpg maintaining 75mph.

On my now 31 mile commute, my A4 Avant 40 TDI Quattro, I'll get about 51mpg, and if I take the GTI it's about 41mpg. Considering the extra weight in the A4 and I'd guess I'd probably hit 36mpg with a 40TFSI A4 Quattro.

Still quite a difference.

I could never get more than 35 MPG on my 40 TFSI and because of this, I sold it 6 months later. Now have an A6 C8 diesel (40 TDI Quattro) and getting 50+ MPG.

Sounds similar to me - ive come from a E220d, which would get tank averages of 49mpg and on long trips do 60mpg+

But just wondering if the MPG will improve as its run in and it gets to 5k+ mileage.

I’m fairly happy if it gets 40mpg across its life, but any better great.

Reactions: A4Ultra
You mentioned long motorway journeys, is this regular?

40mpg seems alright if it's in town etc.

My 2.0tdi (190bhp) gets around 35-45mpg in town normally. Out on motorway runs (which I do a lot of) it sits at around 57mpg and that's pretty standard, doesn't go below that for me. Best I had was a few weeks ago when it managed 64mpg. Bear in mind this is always with a/c on and I am by no means a cruiser on the motorway haha - tend to lean very heavily on the right foot, but my point is even with my harsh driving it does well at that speeds. Very impressed with the diesel tbh.

If you'd like some pictures to put it in perspective, I do have lots of the trip computer after long journeys etc :)

^ 35-45mpg around the doors (<8 mile journeys) does seem about what my 40TDI Avant Quattro does.

As I said, 31 mile commute is 51mpg with the aircon on all the way. The longest trip I did in it was to Leeds from Newcastle to pick up our puppy. A full car (wife, 2 kids and mutt) and aircon on all the way gave 57mpg maintaining 75mph.

Unless you want to drive like a nun everywhere, expect no better than 2/3 of what the 40TDI gives for a 40TFSI in all situations.

The further you drive it in a single journey, the better the mpg will be, for either car. If you do mainly urban driving you'll be lucky to crack 25mpg, if you sit on the motorway for hundreds of miles doing the speed limit, expect 40mpg.

That isn't though what I experience in reality. 35mpg easily achieved on my commute, but 30mpg having fun. 44mpg when driven hard on mixed roads, the same as a 2.0l diesel..

That isn't though what I experience in reality. 35mpg easily achieved on my commute, but 30mpg having fun. 44mpg when driven hard, and I mean hard, on mixed roads, the same as a 2.0l diesel.
Having driven one for nearly fours years under different conditions I think I know my own car. Plus it warms up in less than a mile in the winter with the heat coming into the interior. Try that in a diesel, they are smelly, vibrate and rattle...

That isn't though what I experience in reality. 35mpg easily achieved on my commute, but 30mpg having fun. 44mpg when driven hard, and I mean hard, on mixed roads, the same as a 2.0l diesel.
Having driven one for nearly fours years under different conditions I think I know my own car. Plus it warms up in less than a mile in the winter with the heat coming into the interior. Try that in a diesel, they are smelly, vibrate and rattle...
My Tdi is blowing warm air before I leave the drive , averages 60mpg on 75mph plus long runs , is quiet inside does not smell and at least has lots of low down grunt.

Its my prefered car off the drive for a long journey so does not go along with your experience.

And I can choose an S4 V8 , a 911 or a 172 cup clio as our other cars !!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jds_sg

44mpg driven very hard? Surely not!

Your A4 is 200kg heavier than our Polo GTI+ with the same engine (which also has 15% narrower tyres) and if you drive that very hard you'll be lucky to hit 30mpg.

Unless you're driving no more than 70mph on the flat with the wind behind you or slightly downhill with no headwind, your A4 won't be any more economical than any other 2.0 because it won't be running on the economic Budack cycle.

I'd assume both the TDI and TFSI A4 variants have a pre heater for ventilation air - there's no way either engine is immediately warm. For the 2.0TFSI the water won't be up to 90C for 2 miles in the Summer and 3 in the Winter. Add 3 more miles for the oil to get to 90C. The TDI takes a little longer for the water and then oil to get to 90C.

I'd say it's almost impossible to achieve 44mpg average on an A4 40TFSI unless you're either sitting at no more than 60mph on the motorway or you've done an incredibly long journey.

The 2.0TFSI EA888 3b engine feels incredibly stifled, like it's capable of far more than the 190 or 200ps VAG have given it. It tunes well to 250ps in the Polo.

The TDI is as quiet and smooth as diesels get, and cleaner than the TFSI, especially if the TFSI is a pre GPF version. I used to have a 2018 Polo GTI+ without GPF and it kicked out a lot of soot. The wife's 2019 Polo GTI+ with GPF is a lot cleaner. No NOx issues with the TDI as it has Ad-blue, and puts out less CO2 because it burns less fuel per mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: jds_sg and harvey.nott
Indeed A4 has aux heater , so who cares how long it takes to warm totally ( which is pretty quick )

The only quotes in the post further up were his description of Ford diesels which are indeed awful.

Completely agree about the latest Audi diesels being very quiet & refined. This might come as a shock to some but I find my A6 C8 40 TDI quieter than I did my A4 B9 2.0 TFSI...go figure.

Just saw this thread, my 2.0 tdi Quattro avant figures match monkeyhanger’s figures. 37mpg cold engine runs. 45-50mpg combined, 57mpg sitting at 65mph for hours.

If a petrol 2.0 tfsi can do 40 mpg combined then it would be a similar cost to run over a 2.0 tdi as fuel is 10% cheaper which is outstanding.

Just saw this thread, my 2.0 tdi Quattro avant figures match monkeyhanger’s figures. 37mpg cold engine runs. 45-50mpg combined, 57mpg sitting at 65mph for hours.

If a petrol 2.0 tfsi can do 40 mpg combined then it would be a similar cost to run over a 2.0 tdi as fuel is 10% cheaper which is outstanding.

No way that 40TFSI can do 40mpg combined, it would be the death knell for diesels.

Around the doors our Polo GTI+ (same engine, 200kg lighter, more aerodynamic, 15% less rubber on the tarmac) does about 32-35mpg, on a long run it does about 45mpg maintaining 75mph on the motorway and on a 14 mile journey does around 38mpg on our currently uncongested roads (the only upside to COVID-19).

I'd knock 15-20% those figures for reasons stated above when considering the A4's differences to the Polo.

If you sit for long parts of your journey in 50mph average speed camera zones then you might do 45mpg in a 40TFSI A4, otherwise you'll be looking at 40mpg for a long motorway run, 25mpg around the doors and 32mpg for 15-25 mile journeys if you're not driving like a nutter.

Reactions: psychopomp1

No way that 40TFSI can do 40mpg combined, it would be the death knell for diesels.

Around the doors our Polo GTI+ (same engine, 200kg lighter, more aerodynamic, 15% less rubber on the tarmac) does about 32-35mpg, on a long run it does about 45mpg maintaining 75mph on the motorway and on a 14 mile journey does around 38mpg on our currently uncongested roads (the only upside to COVID-19).

I'd knock 15-20% those figures for reasons stated above when considering the A4's differences to the Polo.

If you sit for long parts of your journey in 50mph average speed camera zones then you might do 45mpg in a 40TFSI A4, otherwise you'll be looking at 40mpg for a long motorway run, 25mpg around the doors and 32mpg for 15-25 mile journeys if you're not driving like a nutter.

Reactions: smog c6

I know from our c350e it’s possible to get 45mpg on a 2.0 petrol doing 70mph but that car will have the engine off for 30% of the time as it’s a hybrid and can do 80mph on the battery only. If the battery is completely drained on cold runs 25mpg is the norm.
Of course we use it for local runs on electric only and get ridiculous 100+ mpg equivalent based on cost of a charge as 45p for roughly 13 miles of range on a charge.

That's diesels killed off then because I can obtain 40-50mpg on A roads driving at the same speeds as the rest of the traffic, so up to 60mph...

That maybe what the trip computer says but if you’re using a DTUK tuning device that will fool the car’s computer into thinking it’s using less fuel so the real mpg will be a lot less. Similar A road driving in 190 non Quattro diesel would get around 58-62 indicated I would think.
Of course petrol AND diesels will be killed off in the future.

That's diesels killed off then because I can obtain 40-50mpg on A roads driving at the same speeds as the rest of the traffic, so up to 60mph...

Not sure what's happening with your miracle car then because you can't do that with the Polo GTI+ using the same engine, 15% lighter, more aerodynamic and with 15% less rubber on the road. It's not like our Polo is an atypically thirsty example either as we've had 2 (still have one) and they were pretty consistent with each other and I've a reasonably economical driving style. For those reasons I'd expect the A4 to be 20% worse on fuel than the Polo GTI when driven the same way.

The best I've ever done in the Polo was 52mpg for the 15 mile stretch of the A19 from the North of York City centre to where it joins the proper dual carriageway segment of the A19 heading to Teesside. The overall journey back up to Newcastle with the other 75 miles done on dual carriageway maintaining an indicated 75mph had dropped to 46mpg.

The only feasible way I could see anyone getting 50mpg from a 40TFSI A4 would be to do 200 miles at a constant 55mph while slipstreaming a truck.

For anyone thinking of getting a 40TFSI A4, they shouldn't base their mpg expectations on the figures you're quoting. There's a reason why Audi have both a 190ps TDI and a 190ps TFSI engine in their A4 line up - there's an appreciable difference between the 2 of them for fuel economy once warmed up. Buy the TFSI if you do more urban driving and low mileage, buy the TDI if you do high mileage or your journey lengths are quite long.

Last edited:
Gearing possibly, plus I have more torque, dunno but even 55+mpg is possible when cruising on A roads. No slip streaming needed but perhaps I am lighter on the loud pedal than you are.
My most recent drive was along the A259 to Eastbourne, 43mpg easy peasy...

The mpg I'm seeing for the 40TDI A4 seems spot on with what other people here are getting in short and long journeys so it doesn't seem as though I have a thirsty driving style compared to others here. My style is that I'm quick to get up to speed but anticipate the road ahead well to preserve my momentum and come off the accelerator early to brake later when the traffic ahead slows or approaching roundabouts. I usually get comments at service time about my abnormally low brake wear.

Is your car a Quattro? That obviously helps mpg a little if you don't.

The Polo is 6 speed DSG rather than 7, but that being said, it is geared high - it is doing 2200rpm in 6th at 75mph, almost as high as my old Golf GTD. My A4 rarely puts itself into 7th gear below 70mph, i'd expect a similar story from the 40TFSI as for the 40TDI.

It's all about distance and cruising speed - I can do 43mpg in the Polo if I elect to sit at 60mph on a journey at least 15 miles long or 30 miles long if doing 70mph. If I were that hung up on mpg to be doing 60mph everywhere in a TFSI, i'd probably regret not getting the TDI.

I know people who get extraordinary mpg with a current Golf GTI, but admittedly they've sat at 60mph for 100 miles on empty motorway to do it.

Last edited:
I've had my petrol 35 BE for 18 months now and long term average is about 37mpg. That's a mix of town driving in heavy traffic which can get around 30mpg, and some 200 mile motorway runs which I've seen 50mpg providing I stick to the speed limit. That's with the family and a boot full. I found if you go 80 then mpg drops off to low 40s.

The fuel economy did get better as I put more miles on but I got in in Feb when it was freezing so the cold weather would have affected my mpg when it was new.

I'll try to put some perspective on this.
My signature has the fuelly app which is brim to brim and the 52.0 Avg is for the last 30139 miles so not a one off. It is still subjet to the odometer possibly overreading but no where near as pie in the sky as the "computer". My computer Avg is 55.4 over the last 27000 miles so still not bad at 6.5% optimistic. However, if I drive like a nun with nine points I can record astonishing figures which just become less accurate the higher I push it.. I did 175 miles last Monday and it indicated 74.7mpg and averaged 54mph. That was Northampton to Worthing; B roads, M1, M25, A24 driving at or near the legal limits inc 60 on the M1 for ****** miles! I haven't refuelled yet so cannot tell how wrong the computer is but 74.7 it didn't do! My best brim to brim was 57.2 and that was a trip to Newcastle where the computer showed a brilliant but woefully inncacurate 68.9mpg.

My 3 litre is silky smooth, so much so that I've been asked if it's a hybrid when parking!! It packs 400 torques at 1500 rpm. It has a supplementary heater that blasts hot air after less than a mile even in sub zero temperatures. This heater is only necessary because the 3 litre donk is so awesomely efficient it needs help generating wasteful heat!

So come on you petrol heads show me actual vs computer mpg for your 2 litre TFSIs never mind the 3 litre S4. They don't come close and you know it.:yes:
Diesel is not dead. Not yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyhanger, psychopomp1, Bellasdad and 2 others
In some contrast to the tweed hat wearers surely any real real petrol head (aka motoring enthusiast) would purchase a European sporting sedan to enjoy its performance and handling. Therein the fuel consumption is what it is.
Turning hydrocarbons into happiness is one of the few pleasures available these days with your trousers still on.
Driving only when necessary, in the most efficient means possible, with a fixation on recording data on every inch travelled sounds like an advanced exercise in tedium; sitting along with lawn bowls, fishing and never exceeding the speed limit.
'Outings' in a B9 S4 V6T with APR enhancement provides a great way to combat such frustrations and provides contrast to observing largely spineless European governments' failure to invoke COVID policies that could make a difference and save lives.

Happy days

Dingah

Reactions: cuke2u
I disagree , might of course has an effect on what and why you drive what you do.
Thats the reason we are lucky enough to have multiple cars as they have different characters but in some circumstances the numbers do make a difference..
I think the tweed comment is a little strange in this context as the question was originally asked for a reason .

... in the most efficient means possible, with a fixation on recording data on every inch travelled sounds like an advanced exercise in tedium

Its not actually, it can be very satisfying sometimes to see what can be achieved and requires a different skill set to just seeing how quickly you can empty the tank. Requires a good deal of concentration and anticipation of road conditions to avoid the brakes and loss of momentum.

I sometimes like to drive like that for 2/3rds of the tank and see what I can get, then go back to more "normal" spirited motoring for the final 1/3rd. perhaps its just me!

Both styles are fun though.

You are correct, my favorite 'tricks' is to drive home as frugally as possible from the petrol station, after putting in my usual £40's worth, and compare different vehicles. It's not meant to be a real world test at all so please just treat it as a bit of fun. My 1.4tfsi A3 saloon used to manage 65mpg, easily, my A4 is more or less the same..

My first 3 fill ups for everyones benefit on a 35tfsi.
trips included several to work across a city centre. Long drive to Wales, then to the Cotswold's, then lots of short trips around country lanes. then back up north. and a few trips to work again - so very mixed driving.
These are whole tank averages

Attachments

• IMG_E4749[1].JPG
    IMG_E4749[1].JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 338
These TFSI mpg figures are sooo bad, you may as well just buy the s4. My B9 S4 get'S 38 mpg on a 2 hour motorway journey to Birmingham if I cruise at 75 mph. Done this journey at least 6 or 7 times and always get above 36 mpg on the motorway.

These TFSI mpg figures are sooo bad, you may as well just buy the s4. My B9 S4 get'S 38 mpg on a 2 hour motorway journey to Birmingham if I cruise at 75 mph. Done this journey at least 6 or 7 times and always get above 36 mpg on the motorway.
I'm not sure this is comparable. in the 35 tfsi i get 50mpg on the computer on motorway, but overall tank average is 39/40mpg.

To add a comparison my 2020 S4 Diesel has averaged 40.7MPG over 3000 miles, a good mix of long (1 hour +) and shorter journeys. Best MPG so far was over a 120 mile run @ 50.1MPG.

My Previous A4 Avant 190TDI averaged 49.7MPG over 56K Miles. I never reset the long trip computer after taking delivery of the car.

IMG 1341

Just got back from a round trip of Hastings to Crowborough. Average as shown by the DIS was 45.3mpg..

Just got back from a round trip of Hastings to Crowborough. Average as shown by the DIS was 45.3mpg..

That's very good, but one trip figures are often very different from overall averages.
For example, at the weekend we did a round trip through the Peak District of about 90 miles and the DIS said 61.7 mpg at the end, very nice...
But my long term average (over last 3000 miles) is 51.7 mpg, calculated, not from DIS.
My previous 18" wheeled A4 B9 190 TDI model used to get more like 55-56 long term, so I think larger wheels make more difference than I thought.

Last edited: