313 bitdi or 414 S6 Avant's

Stevelincoln

Reaction score
Hi all,
Steve here. I am a former owner of an A6 Avant bitdi Black Edition MY 2011. I sold this last year, which I kinda regret. Anyway I am back looking again for perhaps another. My situation regarding annual mileage has changed, and I think I will do probably less than 5000 miles a year. Crucially my commute is only 7 miles each way, 3 times a week. Not so great for the bitdi diesel methinks. So having thought about all of the above, I got to thinking about a petrol car, and specifically the S6 V8 414bhp. Who votes for which car?
In addition to that, if I do decide on a Petrol V8, I am also interested in the Merc CLS63 AMG Shooting Brake..........??????????
Your thoughts please.....
Steve

With that mileage and driving profile I would definitely not go down the diesel route. All sorts of DPF issues have the potential to raise their head. I would stick with the Audi, but then I had issues with MB after sales years ago and Am reluctant to go back. Size wise the CLS is more S4 than S6, but if you don't need the space then that wouldn't be an issue

Thanks for the reply. So what about monthly drives of 20-30 miles at a decent speed and revs just to keep the dpf in good order in a bitdi?

Personally I would still go for a petrol version. If you were doing this weekly then maybe it would be OK, but then you would be doing higher mileage. I think diesel only makes sense if you re doing 15k+ miles pa and a high proportion of that on motorways or you are towing a heavy trailer or caravan and need the extra torque. Also diesel seems to currently to be about 25p per litre more than regular unleaded and 20p more than super unleaded. You would also need to get a 2016 or later BiTDi to get one that is Euro6 compliant and minimise the impact of town centre bans/charging for diesel cars.

Personally I would still go for a petrol version. If you were doing this weekly then maybe it would be OK, but then you would be doing higher mileage. I think diesel only makes sense if you re doing 15k+ miles pa and a high proportion of that on motorways or you are towing a heavy trailer or caravan and need the extra torque. Also diesel seems to currently to be about 25p per litre more than regular unleaded and 20p more than super unleaded. You would also need to get a 2016 or later BiTDi to get one that is Euro6 compliant and minimise the impact of town centre bans/charging for diesel cars.
Yeah some good points there. I think I will settle for the S6 Avant. Budget £20-£23k……..

Yesterday's ULEZ announcement by Sadiq Khan (all London boroughs will be in the ULEZ from next summer) makes diesel even less attractive to those living in or around London

Yesterday's ULEZ announcement by Sadiq Khan (all London boroughs will be in the ULEZ from next summer) makes diesel even less attractive to those living in or around London
Very few people I know who live in London even own a car as it's cheaper to use public transport. Personnaly if I lived in Londwon I'd buy petrol over diesel given the time spent in traffic and the short distances around the city..

Very few people I know who live in London even own a car as it's cheaper to use public transport. Personnaly if I lived in Londwon I'd buy petrol over diesel given the time spent in traffic and the short distances around the city..
Agree and one of the reasons why I switched from diesel to petrol. The issue is that all of those people who live outside London, but in an adjoining area will be affected since just popping to their local supermarket may take them into a London borough and they have to pay £17.50 for that short trip. Likewise anyone going to Heathrow with a non-compliant car will need to pay the extra charge. Also remember this applies to those that work in London, not just live there, and those outside London had no say in the policy or indeed the election of the mayor and the vast majority of those who do live in the outer London boroughs said they did not want the scheme expanded.

Last edited: