312mm please help think I have screwed up

Andy avant b5

Reaction score
Hi everyone please help today I went to do the 312mm break upgrade I have a4 b5 avant 1.8t removed everything went to fit the carriers and the holes don't line up they are too far apart why is this I am sure I brought 312mm carriers but they don't line up also the other issue is the discs I have brought are from mtec they are from a a4 b6 3.0 but they don't have a retaing screw to hold them onto the hub I am having a nightmare any help would be much appreciated thanks

Hello mate, you've probably got the later B6/7 carriers that are the wider bolt spacing. I swapped over to these when I changed my uprights to the alloy B6 type. I wouldn't worry to much about the retaining screw,mine have never had one. Just use the plastic screw in thing "in the jack box" to line the disc and wheel up when putting the wheel bolts in.
I've got some 312 TT carriers in the shed somewhere which are the one's you need, maybe you could sell on the B6/7 carriers.

Oh OK mate thanks for you reply brought it second hand and think he has done me lol need some tt carriers then and you say the retaing bolt is fine? Hopefully I can sell them on

Last edited:
I also split both rubber dust covers off the calipers when I took them off so will I need to replace them also do I need to put lock tight on them?

no B5 ive ever seen uses a screw to hold the disk on, it just sits on the hub.

The wider spaced carriers are from later cars, you need carriers from a mk1 TT, mk1 S3 and a few other random models.

Which rubber dust boot have you damaged? I dont think loctite should be used anywhere on the brakes.

It's the rubber dust cover on the bolts both ends of the caliper

hmm, still not sure?

The caliper bolts dont have any sort of dust covers?

The sliding pins have a rubber sleeve thing, then a wee plastic cap?