312mm drilled or grooved brake discs - picture request

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking for pictures of drilled or grooved 312mm front brake discs, preferably on a car with 19 inch wheels. I'd appreciate if anyone could share it.

Hello everyone! I'm looking for pictures of drilled or grooved 312mm front brake discs, preferably on a car with 19 inch wheels. I'd appreciate if anyone could share it.
Hi I don't recommend to buy grooved .. I had it and it isn't good when you braking from fast speed ... It makes drill or whirl sound.. Just get drilled only

EDIT : here is what I bought previously https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRILLED-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-FRONT-REAR-AUDI-A3-S3-312mm-/290389316120

Brembo recommended discs : https://www.autodoc.co.uk/brembo/7887509

Last edited:
Reactions: dp_motley and Gazwould
Thanks Peter. I never heard of or paid attention to this MTEC brand. I was looking at Brembo or Zimmermann just because I have heard of those brands from before. Is MTEC any good? Are they squeal when you braking? Do drilled discs make any/more sound in comparison to the ordinary discs?

I bump my original question about a picture of a car with 19" wheels and 312mm drilled discs. Do people even buy drilled brake discs for non-S cars (meaning for the cars with brake rotors smaller than 340mm)? I was just thinking if smallish drilled discs would look silly. Or not?

Thanks Peter. I never heard of or paid attention to this MTEC brand. I was looking at Brembo or Zimmermann just because I have heard of those brands from before. Is MTEC any good? Are they squeal when you braking? Do drilled discs make any/more sound in comparison to the ordinary discs?

I bump my original question about a picture of a car with 19" wheels and 312mm drilled discs. Do people even buy drilled brake discs for non-S cars (meaning for the cars with brake rotors smaller than 340mm)? I was just thinking if smallish drilled discs would look silly. Or not?
I had them on a3 2011 they didn't squeak MTEC is entry quality but grooved discs always has added sound as air goes through grooves so makes vibrating sound
Now I have brembos normal ones on my A3 2015, coated plain rust proof, good deal from germany they mistakenly sent two pairs haha :D
I wanted drilled but the price difference in that time was big .. Now they cost less so worth getting them..

Last edited:
I was going to buy normal coated brembos when I saw drilled and grooved discs and thought what if I fitted them instead. I don't believe I'll get any performance gain of the drilled/grooved discs as my car is DD and honestly I don't need it. It's just for the looks sake. But if I fitted the drilled/grooved discs, I would need to replace the rear ones to match and that would be another expense. Do I even need it? Do people fit drilled rotors to the front and leave plain discs on the rear axle?

I was going to buy normal coated brembos when I saw drilled and grooved discs and thought what if I fitted them instead. I don't believe I'll get any performance gain of the drilled/grooved discs as my car is DD and honestly I don't need it. It's just for the looks sake. But if I fitted the drilled/grooved discs, I would need to replace the rear ones to match and that would be another expense. Do I even need it? Do people fit drilled rotors to the front and leave plain discs on the rear axle?
Absolutely NOT any performance gain.. this is just for pure look!
Exactly you would need to get even rear ones it would look horrible just only fronts ..
But if you noticed these aesthetics were/are applied mostly on supercars. Now we remember they used to fit grooved and drilled in the past BUT nowadays not a SINGLE supercar has grooved discs ... All of them has just drilled...
I was thinking I might be selling my spare 312mm ones and might get drilled brembos..

Agree on drilled vs grooved. Do you think the drilled rotors will look good in this size? What wheel size do you have on your car? Are you going to replace the rears too?

Are the drilled brembos better than mtecs or zimmermanns? There is a nice price on zimmermanns on ebay here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/202582403855

Agree on drilled vs grooved. Do you think the drilled rotors will look good in this size? What wheel size do you have on your car? Are you going to replace the rears too?

Are the drilled brembos better than mtecs or zimmermanns? There is a nice price on zimmermanns on ebay here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/202582403855
I think there is no better or worse because I don't know Otto Zimmermann, (now I know haha googled them) but both are germans companies and they do this stuff BEST So whichever will work out cheaper get those :)
I have 19'' wheels 312 fronts 255 rears.. Not gonna replace yet as I had them over year now and they are still like brand new heh
Look below how MTEC will look over time drilled and grooved grooves will get dark with rust u won't be able to clean only manually which is pain and holes will get rusty too ..
And picture how drilled looks on A3 :) Quite nice

Attachments

• Discs.jpg
    Discs.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Audi brembo drilled.jpg
    Audi brembo drilled.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 434
Reactions: dp_motley
Drilled discs originated when brake pad materials gassed off a lot under heavy use, and the gas buildup meant the pad pressure was reduced. Modern pad materials don't do this. There is less metal, which actually means poorer heat dispersal. You might get slightly quicker initial bite in extremely wet conditions, but then again you're not racing. The drillings (and of course grooves) will scrape away at your pads, getting through them quicker. Drilled pads used hard will crack around the drillings. Frankly, if plain ventilated discs are good enough for endurance racers, they're good enough for the road. On a normal road car, even driven quite hard, plain discs are all you need to stop safely. So, it's basically cosmetic.

Reactions: dp_motley
Drilled discs originated when brake pad materials gassed off a lot under heavy use, and the gas buildup meant the pad pressure was reduced. Modern pad materials don't do this. There is less metal, which actually means poorer heat dispersal. You might get slightly quicker initial bite in extremely wet conditions, but then again you're not racing. The drilling (and of course grooves) will scrape away at your pads, getting through them quicker. Drilled pads used hard will crack around the drilling. Frankly, if plain ventilated discs are good enough for endurance racers, they're good enough for the road. On a normal road car, even driven quite hard, plain discs are all you need to stop safely. So, it's basically cosmetic.
It is not gas but dust. Each time we break by friction and heated pads wears so all dust falls onto the whole wheel even ''modern'' or you wanted to say more quality ones? those wears too. Old pads been made from asbestos they been banned as asbestos is bad for us and environment ..We use ordinary ones metallic ones.. Metallic brake pads are comprised of anywhere between 30% and 70% metals including copper, iron, steel, or other composite alloys. These various metals are combined with graphite lubricant as well as other fillers to complete the brake pad.

Attachments

• organic-ceramic-metallic-pads.png
    organic-ceramic-metallic-pads.png
    255 KB · Views: 317
Alot of Mercs have just drilled up front , they weren't done but getting on and I couldn't wait to get to my default low dust ceramic performance pad of choice because the OE Pagid pads on there were horrendous for dust .

No cracks , warping etc .

2018 11 02 150855

@Peter82 , you wrote you had a set of plain 312mm brembos. Do you have a possibility to weigh one of them? The zimmermanns I linked to weigh 8.3 kg. I'd like to choose the lightest option.

@Peter82 , you wrote you had a set of plain 312mm brembos. Do you have a possibility to weigh one of them? The zimmermanns I linked to weigh 8.3 kg. I'd like to choose the lightest option.

The lightest will be the thinnest, and therefore the least durable and most likely to overheat.

I was ready to send you link but had to go somewhere and I forgot after...
Here is page you can check everything ; brembo discs and brembo pads looks like now they added even calipers wow designed for A3.. tepmtiiing :)
I got kit as brembo told me to do so .. I picked discs and pads mine car I must say pads are perfect quality as I drive fast and brake agressively and when I was doing callipers removed pads they looked like new haha still plenty of pads .. hah
I picked on their website A3 2.0 tdi quattro which I have (135 KW / 184 CV) 05/13 - 07/18 year
It is all the same anyway don't know what is yours car if 1.5 liter or 1.8 or 2.0L but only becuse they asking to choose... what liter you have..
U can configure page yourself and there should be info about all parts ..
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/...sportback-8va-8vf-2-0-tdi-quattro/000055598-1

Last edited:

Bit of a strange concern when you're rocking heavy 19" wheels on a 1.6 tdi , those wheels are robbing you of alot of dynamics because of increased unsprung mass .

The extra weight - unsprung mass disadvantage of say going bigger brakes is offset by the brakes greater leverage forces bringing a huge difference to braking .

Bit of a strange concern when you're rocking heavy 19" wheels on a 1.6 tdi , those wheels are robbing you of alot of dynamics because of increased unsprung mass .

The extra weight - unsprung mass disadvantage of say going bigger brakes is offset by the brakes greater leverage forces bringing a huge difference to braking .
That 1.6 is his old car ... His main is 2019 I assume it is 1.8L or 2.0 he wants to put on...

... this is just for pure look!

Exactly the point here I think ;-)

"Performance gain" is in the eye of the beholder. Folk like to think other folk will perceive the car and by implication its driver are 'high performance'. All pretty harmless (unless it makes a car dangerous through being recklessly modified) and if makes the driver a more confident person (in a nice way) and that's how they want to spend their money, why not :rock:

Last edited:
312 look lost with 19" considering 312 can fit under 16" .

Is there a simple way to upgrade with larger caliper carriers etc and gain better braking ?

Last edited:
I was ready to send you link but had to go somewhere and I forgot after...
Here is page you can check everything ; brembo discs and brembo pads looks like now they added even calipers wow designed for A3.. tepmtiiing :)
I got kit as brembo told me to do so .. I picked discs and pads mine car I must say pads are perfect quality as I drive fast and brake agressively and when I was doing callipers removed pads they looked like new haha still plenty of pads .. hah
I picked on their website A3 2.0 tdi quattro which I have (135 KW / 184 CV) 05/13 - 07/18 year
It is all the same anyway don't know what is yours car if 1.5 liter or 1.8 or 2.0L but only becuse they asking to choose... what liter you have..
U can configure page yourself and there should be info about all parts ..
https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/...sportback-8va-8vf-2-0-tdi-quattro/000055598-1
Thanks for the link. The 312mm brembos weigh 8.6 kg. I've ordered a set of drilled zimmermanns from my link above as a lighter (8.3 kg) and cheaper option.

Reactions: Peter Peter

Is there a simple way to upgrade with larger caliper carriers etc and gain better braking ?
What would you say about the 288mm front rotors like audi fits on cars with smaller engines? That's why I'm upgrading to the 312. My 288mm discs look lost, I agree. I hope the 312mm ones will improve the look a little. There's a thread on the MK7 forum on upgrading brake discs from 288mm to 312mm. The only thing you need to change is the calliper carrier and the disc. The calliper itself is the same for the 288 and 312 version. I saw pictures. It looks better. Those who upgraded reported smother braking which I'm looking forward too.

But there is a disadvantage too. The bigger brakes are heavier. And I noticed that underpowered cars like mine is sensitive to increasing the unsprung weight. Here is my latest example. I changed my old S3 replica wheels to the RS6 reps. I had smooth ride on my old wheels. The smoothness gone after the change. It feels like my stock shocks are unable to smooth the ride and I feel small shakes all the time I hit a road crack etc. The difference between the wheels is 900g of added unsprung weight. So after I upgrade to bigger brakes, I'm going to get lighter wheels too.

Reactions: Gazwould
Quite shocked at the small brakes much further on , since the early 2000's we were going 312 2.5 V6 TDI from 288 1.9 TDI on B5.5 VW Passats .

What would you say about the 288mm front rotors like audi fits on cars with smaller engines? That's why I'm upgrading to the 312. My 288mm discs look lost, I agree. I hope the 312mm ones will improve the look a little. There's a thread on the MK7 forum on upgrading brake discs from 288mm to 312mm. The only thing you need to change is the calliper carrier and the disc. The calliper itself is the same for the 288 and 312 version. I saw pictures. It looks better. Those who upgraded reported smother braking which I'm looking forward too.

But there is a disadvantage too. The bigger brakes are heavier. And I noticed that underpowered cars like mine is sensitive to increasing the unsprung weight. Here is my latest example. I changed my old S3 replica wheels to the RS6 reps. I had smooth ride on my old wheels. The smoothness gone after the change. It feels like my stock shocks are unable to smooth the ride and I feel small shakes all the time I hit a road crack etc. The difference between the wheels is 900g of added unsprung weight. So after I upgrade to bigger brakes, I'm going to get lighter wheels too.
You could've go for whole kit brembo; discs, pads and calipers S3 discs 345mm fronts and 310mm rears

Great sizes , I've a mid 90's 1275kg car with uprated 345 / 320 and all calipers are 4 pot .

You could've go for whole kit brembo; discs, pads and calipers S3 discs 345mm fronts and 310mm rears
I've been thinking of this in a while and abandoned the idea. If 288 > 312 conversion adds approx. 1 kg of unsprung mass to each corner, think what would 340mm rotors and larger callipers do? And don't forget the price of the S3 or BBK setup.

Unsprung mass gain is offset by the actual big braking improvement .

Big wheels have only looks as a positive and are frequently misdescribed as an upgrade and not upsize .

Unsprung mass / rotational mass gain with the wheels upsets many dynamics including handling , braking and acceleration.

Mpg takes a hit and extra cost of those wheels and renewing bigger tyres will be more expensive , so it's probably several negatives to one positive =
a negative .

Well, it's done! The old 288 mm stock brake rotors have been replaced with new drilled 312 mm Zimmermanns :) I didn't notice any issues due to added unsprung mass yet, but I drove 20 km only today. It brakes softer, indeed. And, despite it's not the biggest BBK, it looks better IMHO
288 mm brake rotor
312 mm brake rotor
Brake rotor before and after
;)

Reactions: rcnacura, Peter Peter, Lehn and 1 other person

Yes I might get some brembo calipers or rather used S3 ones and fit 345mm front and 310mm rear

Reactions: Gazwould
Yes I might get some brembo calipers or rather used S3 ones and fit 345mm front and 310mm rear
Don't forget about an added unsprung mass and how it will affect your car dynamics.
My old oem 288mm discs weight 7.3 kg. My new 312mm zimmermanns weight 8.3 kg. That means I added 1 kg of unwanted unsprung mass. Can't even imagine how much would I add if I upgraded to 345mm discs (and I don't even know how heavy the S3 callipers are).

Don't forget about an added unsprung mass and how it will affect your car dynamics.
My old oem 288mm discs weight 7.3 kg. My new 312mm zimmermanns weight 8.3 kg. That means I added 1 kg of unwanted unsprung mass. Can't even imagine how much would I add if I upgraded to 345mm discs (and I don't even know how heavy the S3 callipers are).
Oooh don't worry that one kilo not gonna be noticed at all there is always slack or reserve .. u didn't add any unwanted kilos at all ..
I have literally same car as you and standard discs are 312mm really don't understand, how come u had fitted 288mm ones .. hmm
where did u buy the car from?
S3 calipers aren't that huge. The difference from A3 are minimal only 3cm bigger
Imagine RS that is something else 4 piston and discs cost like £500 + pair
Blue caliper is mine :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200713_200112.jpg
    Screenshot_20200713_200112.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 2016-04-29 16.51.48.jpg
    2016-04-29 16.51.48.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 251
  • post-2194-0-62846200-1537722078.jpg
    post-2194-0-62846200-1537722078.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 260
Reactions: Julian smith
I don't want to argue about it, but as I mentioned earlier, I experienced a noticeable comfort drop after changing to only 0.9 kg heavier wheels. And now I added 1 kg more. I'm seriously considering new (lighter) wheels.

I don't want to argue about it, but as I mentioned earlier, I experienced a noticeable comfort drop after changing to only 0.9 kg heavier wheels. And now I added 1 kg more. I'm seriously considering new (lighter) wheels.
Oh are you sure it is not just imagination??
Comfort drop ? how what is different ?? is your car quattro?

Not surprised , technically if the penny dropped and people realised the physics they would also fit Bilstein B6 dampers as part of wheel upsizing .

Oooh don't worry that one kilo not gonna be noticed at all there is always slack or reserve .. u didn't add any unwanted kilos at all ..
I have literally same car as you and standard discs are 312mm really don't understand, how come u had fitted 288mm ones .. hmm
where did u buy the car from?
S3 calipers aren't that huge. The difference from A3 are minimal only 3cm bigger
Imagine RS that is something else 4 piston and discs cost like £500 + pair
Blue caliper is mine :)

The Rs 8V Calipers in your photo are 8 pot. The RS calipers on the 8P as you rightly state are 4 pot.

The Rs 8V Calipers in your photo are 8 pot. The RS calipers on the 8P as you rightly state are 4 pot.
Yeah I meant like on side so x2 :) So all 8 are pressing from both sides then ?Gosh they are crazy expensive grand and even used :culpability: brand new can be 2k or 3k