312mm brakes again....

cornishRS

Reaction score
Evening all, once again 312mm brake question.

Got a 53plate 140tdi 8p and to be honest brakes are not the best when spirited and need new rears as well as got a seized calliper.
Question is will the carriers off a mk5 golf gti fit on the front with my callipers? and will also the ear carriers off the gti also fit directly onto mine and are the callipers on the rear shared between both cars .Need to do this pretty sharpish as brakes are rather smelly now being seized.

Thanks for any replies and patience as its been asked so many times before.

It's all been platform shared in the past so would think the trend continued. The 288mm calipers and pads were always the same as fitted to the 312mm cars too, just carriers needed to space the calipers out correctly.

I used Passat B6 carriers when moved to 312mm fronts. Wouldn't believe if Passat and Golf have different brake mounts.

I think the MK5 gti brakes are the same as the 2.0T S-line brakes (could be wrong). If that's the case, they are **** too.

Yea just did some reading, the GTi standard setup is the same 312mm as the non-S3 2.0T 8P. I found them to be pretty poor (they were stock on my 2.0T). For the S3 345mm upgrade you need calipers, carriers, discs, pads,hoses vs just the carriers, disks, pads from 312/mk5-gti/A3 upgrade.

Doesn't answer your first question (this might help tho: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/171597-140-tdi-brake-upgrade.html) but I wouldn't call the 312mm worth the effort for cars of our mass.

Last edited:
Yes mr worth, im gonna take a huge risk and go for the zetec s ones.
If I get these calliper carriers off this person on ebay then I presume that any 312 disc will fit from the 8p platform range, going to do rears as well.
Thanks stu