312 brakes not quite so easy upgrade!

matttrs

Reaction score
after a lot of reading old threads, I thought i'd upgrade to 312 brakes, I needed new discs and pads, and thought I may as well to fill the wheels nicely. It appeared quite simple, new carriers and a new discs and pads.
I found a set on ebay of MK5 gti ones with nearly new discs, and got those. they came with everything luckily.

Firstly the discs are a different size, they are wider and have a different smaller bore.
I had to get some A6 ones which fitted perfectly.
then the carriers fitted perfectly to the calipers butthe pads wouldn't sit flat, there wasn't quite enough room to get the tabs in place. so used the MK5 calipers too which needed different lines.
as I'd painted the carriers gold, and mk5 calipers were black already my brakes are now black and gold!

anyhow just saying this for people thinking of upgrading that the mk5/s3 ones are different to the passat/audi A4/A6 ones, so watch what you buy.

I got my Carrier's from an online breakers ( The Parts Gateway: Find A Part) they were £25 each delivered & this is what they look like if anyone is thinking of upgrading to 312mm front brakes:

312mmAudiA4CaliperCarrier.jpg

B6 2.5TDI brakes are already 312mm, so you get get a straight swap for those.... (with the right carriers, etc)

ive fitted mk5 golf ones, had a few problems, brake lines are to long so how to losely secure them to the strut, the mk5 pads only have 1 wear sensor not 2 like on the A4, and the wear sensor plug is female the same as whats atached to the car loom, in the end i cut up the oringinal pads to leave a small area around the sensor pluged it back in and taped it up to the loom, when i get round to it ill price up new audi a4 ones from euro car parts

Yeah I had the same problem, only one wear indicator, so have the light on at the moment, can you cut lines down and get a fitting to join it back up, i've looped it to the original fitting with cable ties, but not ideal.

I got my Carrier's from an online breakers ( The Parts Gateway: Find A Part) they were £25 each delivered & this is what they look like if anyone is thinking of upgrading to 312mm front brakes:

312mmAudiA4CaliperCarrier.jpg

Which Carriers are those? my front brakes are on there way out and want to upgrade I take it the disc's and pad are A4/A6 2.5 TDI ones just want to confirm which carriers to go for ta?

They are the carriers that Audi fitted to the 2.5tdi & 3.0 petrol, yep discs & pads from 3.0 petrol part code is: (1LF,1LT - front brakes)

you can check which ones you will need on ECP

Anyone know the part code of a b6 2.5 tdi 312mm carrier ive got some to clean up but would be handy to know if there the same as my b6 1.9 tdi non q before I take it all apart

If getting used carriers or getting in touch with a breakers make sure that the carrier has 569 on it as in the pic above otherwise it isn't a 312 carrier

Not all 2.5tdi came with them but all of the 3.0 did

Some of the early seat Leon cupra,s have 312mm discs and carriers on them , would it be possible to use these ?

This is a timely thread, as my discs and pads need changing so am just about to do the upgrade. I have the correct carriers but just wondering whether I need any additional bolts for them?

Was going to do this myself but after reading all the agro might go for a decent brand of the original size :sob:

Looks like my 2.5tdi carriers are the right ones but euro car parts has two thickness of 312mm disc !? And then pads needs to match
And will the bolts holding my 288mm carriers be ok to use again or is the 312mm carrier thicker too

You shouldn't have any aggro, did this on mine a few weeks back. I got the 2.5 carriers off eBay, simply a case of taking the old one off and putting the new one on. I got my discs from MTec who only offer one thickness, but if you are unsure simply buy the discs that are the same thickness as your original discs as the calipers and pads stay the same

Last question where your carrier bolts reused ?
I take it the 2.5tdi carrier isn't thicker, as i see for some write ups on this
Front caliper carrier bolts – 4x Audi Part No. N 908 768 02 (M14x1.5x38mm long)
Assume thats what I already have ...

Last question where your carrier bolts reused ?
I take it the 2.5tdi carrier isn't thicker, as i see for some write ups on this
Front caliper carrier bolts – 4x Audi Part No. N 908 768 02 (M14x1.5x38mm long)
Assume thats what I already have ...

Hi Mixxy

I've just literally had mine done. No extra bolts were required, the ones from the existing carriers were used. Really pleased with the difference, although I'm not sure whether that's down to the larger discs or the fact I now have thicker pads!!

Im gutted just started this and got the drivers sided done only to find ive been sent two different ones ! I only checked the codes on the drivers side. Both should have been from a 2.5 I assumed the same car ! Anyone spot a carrier for a b6 a4 Passanger side for 312mm disc pm me !