3 Door lockinng system/5 door locking system.

darrenvalleys12

Reaction score
My son has a 2007 3 door a3 sline tdi 170bhp tdi got home and the driver's side lock started to play up central locking fine on the other door just the driver's side you have to unlock with the key been looking on the net and from what people seem to be saying, is the mechanism is different to a 5 door does anybody have a clue if this is correct or not because we are finding it hard to find a lock mechanism for a 3 door car thanks for any help.

Isnt this something to do with the actual door lock bolt being stuck? there's like a module inside the door on the drivers side that you can replace. Isnt too expensive... search online for Audi A3 door lock actuator. I've got the same problem.

Works with the key, then once the drivers door is locked your fob then responds to the lock button being pressed.

For what it is worth, on a Mk 4 Golf the front door locks are the same for 3 and 5 door with 8 pins. However the rears on a 5 door are different and they only have 6 pins.
Search on autotrader for a 5 door equivalent car to yours then use the registration to look for parts. If the parts on the same site are identical for 3 and 5 door you are in business.
I would not leave it too long as if it gets to the stage where the key won’t open it you are really stuck.

Am i reading this right that the key fob will only open passengers side lock and for you to get into car from drivers side you need to put key in door and physcially turn lock .
Just i have heard people chat about a microswitch that can get broken and needs replaced . Try 7zap.com/audi .
When i looked at 2010 2 + 4 door fronts had same part number but best chevk urself as i dont want to give you wrong info

mine has also started being temperamental. Most of the time it unlocks from the key fob, occasionally it requires the key and then it works fine again.
It can be unlocked from the inside as long as it isn't double locked (Dead locked).
I've just bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUDI...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Not been able to fit it yet though as my door card would not come off, so i'll try and get assistance from someone after lockdown is lifted.

mine has also started being temperamental. Most of the time it unlocks from the key fob, occasionally it requires the key and then it works fine again.
It can be unlocked from the inside as long as it isn't double locked (Dead locked).
I've just bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUDI-A3-8P-A6-C6-A8-4E-FRONT-RIGHT-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-4F2837016B-RHD-9-PIN/223746760708?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Not been able to fit it yet though as my door card would not come off, so i'll try and get assistance from someone after lockdown is lifted.
Whats the problem with ur doorcard as its really just 3 screws to unscrew then lift off window frame and take cable out off connection

The recommendation on the Mk 4 forums is to remove any screws you cannot get to with the door closed when your door lock starts to play up. This prevents total wreckage of your interior door panel when the door fails to open and you need to get to the mechanism.
About a year ago I changed all 4 lock modules on my Mk 4 GTi with similar items posted by Davey. So far so good! To buy brand new VW locks would not have been cost effective on a 22 year old car.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Whats the problem with ur doorcard as its really just 3 screws to unscrew then lift off window frame and take cable out off connection
I found 2 screws (well one, the one at the bottom of the door card was missing).
I think a previous owner has had it worked on because 2 screws at the top of the door handle were in place, but the plastic they were screwed into was broken.
As I said, I'll take a look another day with help from someone who's doing their own this weekend so will know what to do better than i do.
His car is a Passat so it's clearly a VAG parts issue not specific to Audi.

I found 2 screws (well one, the one at the bottom of the door card was missing).
I think a previous owner has had it worked on because 2 screws at the top of the door handle were in place, but the plastic they were screwed into was broken.
As I said, I'll take a look another day with help from someone who's doing their own this weekend so will know what to do better than i do.
His car is a Passat so it's clearly a VAG parts issue not specific to Audi.
Once you remove trim where you see the 2 small screws attached to door handle just above there is a hole and 1 screw in there , then just under middle off door handle there is a little groove cut away where the other screw sits , think its a T20 torx and the 1 at bottom off card . I found prising door card ftom the bottom right corner and work your way up to the top and then go back to bottom and work your way round to the left , once all free grab the big handle in the middle and push upwards and it should slide up from frame and then release door lock and the 32pin connector attached to door module . Hope that helps explain how to remove it

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Am i reading this right that the key fob will only open passengers side lock and for you to get into car from drivers side you need to put key in door and physcially turn lock .
Just i have heard people chat about a microswitch that can get broken and needs replaced . Try 7zap.com/audi .
When i looked at 2010 2 + 4 door fronts had same part number but best chevk urself as i dont want to give you wrong info
Hi there i am sorry if i was a bit confused in the way i put it but you are correct in what you said so i will have a look and see what i can find out thanks.

Isnt this something to do with the actual door lock bolt being stuck? there's like a module inside the door on the drivers side that you can replace. Isnt too expensive... search online for Audi A3 door lock actuator. I've got the same problem.

Works with the key, then once the drivers door is locked your fob then responds to the lock button being pressed.
Thanks for that will pass all this info to my son then he can have a look.

For what it is worth, on a Mk 4 Golf the front door locks are the same for 3 and 5 door with 8 pins. However the rears on a 5 door are different and they only have 6 pins.
Search on autotrader for a 5 door equivalent car to yours then use the registration to look for parts. If the parts on the same site are identical for 3 and 5 door you are in business.
I would not leave it too long as if it gets to the stage where the key won’t open it you are really stuck.
Thanks for your help me and my son will have a look and see how we get on.

I've just bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUDI-A3-8P-A6-C6-A8-4E-FRONT-RIGHT-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-4F2837016B-RHD-9-PIN/223746760708?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Hi can i just check with you all that the lock is 9pin as some of them are 7pin and they are for the a3 also thanks.

I sourced a part number, searched online using that part number and found the part I linked to which is listed as a correct part for my car.
I don't know about the pins.