3 Child seats, line abreast in the back.. possible?

amimmortal

Reaction score
My wife and I just found out we're expecting our third child in August...

Not long after the news had sunk in, I realised that there might be a slight logistical problem in terms of accommodating all three kids in the back of the car. We only just bought the car last year and I am loathe to sell it already for some rubbish people carrier...

We tried to fit a basic booster seat between the two Maxi Cosi Priori XP car seats we already have. It fitted, but it proved impossible to get the seat belt fastened due to the fact that you couldn't reach the socket.

Does anyone here have three kids in the back seat, and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks in advance!

A.

The short is... you can't... How old is your Oldest? I have 3 Kids 4, 8 and 10... The Oldest is allowed by law to sit in a normal seatbelt provided there is no room for the seat if one was to be required.

My 10yr old needs one but due to the other 2 having one and only a small gap she is excused from having one. (although i wouldn't reccomend this for anyone under 7ish tbh... You may have to change your car :(

What about the extra 2 seats which I think were available in the rear bit???
Just a thought? I have seen them for sale on ebay.

What about the extra 2 seats which I think were available in the rear bit???
Just a thought? I have seen them for sale on ebay.

We manage to fit three in the back, a five and an eight year old sit on the pop up centre sections, and our two year old sits in an appropriate car seat in the centre which just fits. Getting to the seatbelt sockets is tricky, but it can be done. I guess what would help would be a slightly narrow that usual booster seat base. Does anyone know of one?

Hi there,

I think the pop up centre sections are optional extras, and I'm fairly sure I don't have them... Thanks for the post though!

Cheers,

A.

my wife has a 2000 A6 and we have three kids, a five year old, a two year old and a baby. We can fit the three in the back ok.

my 5 year old has a booster seat base from Tesco and it is quite narrow compared to other booster.

hope this is of help to you

Good news...

We tried a few combinations and managed to get a good fit for the various stages. So we're sorted now...

Bad news...

Multitronic gearbox looks like it's on the way out...

:-(

A.

Just in case anyone is interested, here are two pics of the three child seats installed in the back of the A6 Avant:

2x Maxi Cosi Priori XP and one Graco Logico L high back booster:

21022010089.jpg

21022010090.jpg

I reckon it would even be possible to get a third Priori XP installed in the back.

Hopefully this proves useful to anyone else looking for this information.

Cheers,

A.

Looks very clean in the back, no bread crumbs of sticky finger marks!!

That's answered the question for me as well as have 2 xp's and just about to have a third so should be able to fit baby car seat in!

Looks very clean in the back, no bread crumbs of sticky finger marks!!

Heh... no-one gets to eat in this car!

A friend of mine commented on that too the other day - about how clean and tidy my car was given I had 2 kids. I think the fact that I clean it and keep it tidy probably helps with that...

:)

A.

Hello!

this is exactly the sort of info that we have been looking for for the last while as we are expecting our third in June. The only thing is that from the looks of that picture the Graco isnt sitting in the middle of the seat which if you goto the likes of mothercare etc. to check seat fitments they will tell you thats a nono.

Are the outside seats far out from the center of the seats or just a little bit?

Cheers

Davie

Hi there...

The Graco is still sat on the flat surface of the chair and is inbetween the belt and the latch, so it still fits correctly. Similarly, the outside Priori XP is sitting flat between the belt and the latch and, again, this is fitting fine.

The rounded base of the XP helps with this, and, if I'm honest, if needs be the Graco could probably be moved closer to the centre as there is still plenty of room there. It's also easy to reach down and plug the belt into the latch because of the room behind the XP.

The mouldings on the rear seats aren't so severe so as to present much of a problem here. I'm satisfied that the children will be as safe as they can be in the event of an impact. Certainly much safer than having a child in the 4rd row of a 7 seater...

Cheers,

A.

which if you goto the likes of mothercare etc. to check seat fitments they will tell you thats a nono.

I have limited faith in the so-called trained staff in such establishments, one of whom was adamant that I needed a £150 base for a rear-facing Maxi-Cosi seat when our daughter was born. I bought the base anyway as I needed it for our motorhome, but never once used it in the car as the seat fitted fine without. And I've done enough motorsport and have personally crashed/rolled enough times to know what forces are really involved, and what needs to be secured, unlike (I suepect) the lady from Mothercare. In my opinion, the training is geared as much to selling more products than anything else!

Back to topic though: my daughter is now a year old and in a forward-facing seat. I wanted something narrow so it would fit in my Lotus, yet still be able to fit on the much broader seat of the motorhome too as well as in my daily car of course. Following considerable research, I bought the Recaro Young Sport...

http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-seats/young-sport.php

...and can confidently recommend it to others.

The young assistant at Mothercare tried to steer me towards a Britax as "they've been making child seats for longer" but I've crashed a rally car at 100mph+ whilst sitting in a Recaro, and it performed faultlessly. If they've translated even a fraction of that know-how into their child seat, then I'm very happy to have my daughter strapped in it too. And she loves it.

The only problem (and almost every review mentions it, so I have no idea why they don't fix it) has been that the plastic toggle on the end of the adjuster webbing fell off after a few days, but it's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the operation of the seat so I simply threw it away.

My suggestion then if you're wanting to get three seats across the back of your A6 (and I now have an Allroad) is to try the Recaro Young Sport.