3 brown spots in Glacier paintwork.

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score
These spots appeared in my paintwork back in April.
3edcb7d10be629f4d16fded8c2828647.jpg

Took it to the bodywork guy I use, he’d never seen anything like these before, initially he thought it was on the clear lacquer, until I told him I’d tried to compound them out but it didn’t touch them at all, neither did wet sanding

He stripped the clear coat off and as he hit the colour layer they vanished, so some new colour applied and the whole rear qtr clear coated.
b0ba1a2dd75385b0d686067d06294824.jpg

Three weeks to the day later they appeared again.

3662a912e9999ae98ec530a697c3b740.jpg

Car is now back in having the layers removed until the cause of the problem is removed.

He sent me video this morning and it seems the problem was contained in the 5th layer of the paint process, something at the factory has got on the primer and slowly over 3 and a 1/2 years made it’s way through the other layers to the outside of the colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Madmo
That's a rare one. T I know your love of dealerships but wouldn't audi warrant this mate instead of coming out your own pocket?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
That's a rare one. T I know your love of dealerships but wouldn't audi warrant this mate instead of coming out your own pocket?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Audi told me it would be a long process with no guarantee of them sorting it out, tried to say it was from external conditions.

I thought to myself do i really want them messing with the paintwork (by a 3rd party anyway as they farm it out) easier an less painful to sort it myself, this way i know it's done correct and at a bodyshop i trust.

Reactions: NevMan, seventeenapg, DW81 and 1 other person
Audi told me it would be a long process with no guarantee of them sorting it out, tried to say it was from external conditions.

I thought to myself do i really want them messing with the paintwork (by a 3rd party anyway as they farm it out) easier an less painful to sort it myself, this way i know it's done correct and at a bodyshop i trust.
Absolutely, better looking after it yourself. Highly unusual issue tho

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk