3.2l v6 - Repeat limp-home

stumbling_bass

A3 8P S-line 3.2 v6
Reaction score
Hi, all

Have had repeat limp-home (LH) probs with my 08-reg 5-door S-line 3.2 v6 A3.

Audi have replaced the ECU - twice - and with no clear identification of the root cause of the problems.

I have an OBD scanner which reports a variety of codes, and which didn't help Audi diagnose what was going on. So I just reset the codes and drive on. Is there a recommendation nr Oxford for someone to get to the bottom of this issue, please?

TIA - Peter.

What are the codes?

3.2 A3 had stretched chain issues incase it's related, but until we know the codes can't help tbh.

What are the codes?

3.2 A3 had stretched chain issues incase it's related, but until we know the codes can't help tbh.
Thanks for reply - will list the codes next time, and give you the make/model of the OBD I have, too.

Thanks for reply - will list the codes next time, and give you the make/model of the OBD I have, too.
Probably better to have it Scanned with Genuine Vcd's, have i got this right Audi did diagnostic on ur car already ( if yes ) didn't they give u a print out off there Autoscan .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hi, again
Had a limp-home earlier, and here are all the codes from the Audi>Engine scan on my OBD

and here's the scanner I have ...

Attachments

• V-Gate Audi OBD scanner.jpg
    V-Gate Audi OBD scanner.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
Well there's a few there that maybe old or present, throttle body, maf, possible electrical wiring to do with transmission.

Ideally work through 1 by one.

I would have a look over it but of course that has a cost, if you want to diy then search Google for those codes as it says a few things that may help, heated screen is a red herring.

Reactions: ch1z64
Well there's a few there that maybe old or present, throttle body, maf, possible electrical wiring to do with transmission.

Ideally work through 1 by one.

I would have a look over it but of course that has a cost, if you want to diy then search Google for those codes as it says a few things that may help, heated screen is a red herring.
Many thanks for your continued interest and support :)

Have taken the MAF out of the airline and given that a good clean off using contact cleaner and a cotton bud (gently) removing some accumulated dust/soot, and have had a few days of trouble-free driving. Fingers crossed!

Will come back here if I am still stuck ...

Thanks, again.

Reactions: NHN
Still struggling a little here, but have spoken with local friend who has looked after non-VAG cars of mine in the past. He convinced that the problem is probs rooted in the VVT solenoids, and suggests replacing all 4, as well as cam and crank sensors. I expect he's right - I have never had to worry about diagnoses and fixes in the past. But parts are really expensive. What are best options for sourcing? Have approached Audi Oxford who have done lots of work to try and resolve, focusing on ECU, to see if they can help with discount. What advice do you all have?

Many thanks :)

If you're doing any work around the chain then it's strongly suggested you replace this as the 3.2 is well known for the stretched chain problem.

Reactions: stumbling_bass
Hi, all

Have been scrabbling around, still trying to come up with a cost-effective way to get my A3 back on the road.

Does anyone have experience of these guys / this service?

Seems like it would get me 'as new' adjusters back on the car; and I could clean or, worst case, replace the solenoids. What do we know about the mehenker service?

Many thanks - Peter.

Tbh if you're taking the engine out & you want to keep the car then do everything involved around the chain, doesn't look like you've got many choices tbh.