3.2 vs s3

I think Sarah has proved that 3.2 are for winners

Thankyou and goodnight:)

Fair play you lot... having a good ol read of this thread (whilst i was siting in on a webinar).... Must say i've never been in the new 3.2 v6 or the new S3, been meaning to do, but just not got round to it. By the sound of it they are both good cars. Obviously there is tuning potential with the S3 but the V6 is just an effortless cruiser. Horses for courses i suppose??!! Maybe you can take me out in yours 'Sarah's A3' if you join up with us on the 'All Wales Meet'???

Back on topic for a minute, I owned this before the S3, and it would have whipped it's **** (in the dry) in standard trim:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Got £11k trade in, and forked out to claim my £32k S3. The disappointment was so catastrophic I was mapped inside 2 days / 198 miles.

I wasn't crying about the pic Sarah hehe although I you want me to proof view any others for you in the interest of the forum I'm your man!

I was crying thinking I,ve got a girls car :)

Looks fun Warren, i always think that some of the Seats are over looked to quickly.

What you need is an agent s :) we could have you in an RS4 Avant in no time ;-)

The Leon Cupra R was honestly the pick of the Mk4 Golf platform with turbo's attached. Better planted than an Anniversary Golf 180, quicker than the equivalent S3/TT, and a far more 'entertaining' drive (OK part of that was the smell of fear, but SEATSport did a stella job on it. I am still more sorry to have seen that car go than I ever will be the S3 as the Leon was unpretentious purist honest good fun. Always has a place close to my heart. S3 has a better dash / finish, but as has been said each car means different things to different people.

A3 3.2 Q 1,535kg
S3 1,455kg
TTRS 1,450kg

I'll hazard a guess that all that weight is in the engine and front suspension of the 3.2 and trust me that amount of weight makes a huge difference....

Interesting they couldnt get the TT less than the S3 given its ally panels and things...So a TT with a tank of petrol would weigh 30+kg more than a S3 with a gallon or two..and therefore a tanked up s3 would handle nearly as badly as the awful, uncontrollable 3.2...beats me how i get round the roundabout on the way to work everyday.....every Sunday i go to church and thank god i survived another week............:laugh:

Iuncontrollable 3.2...beats me how i get round the roundabout on the way to work everyday.....every Sunday i go to church and thank god i survived another week............:laugh:

:think:

failboatlg0.jpg

:jester:

Jamie, is this on repeat lol?????

Ahem yeah sorry iPhone kept on hanging connection and then load it hours later. Still it's a good point :)
ohh and can I echo the larger sig pic comment?
;)

Interesting they couldnt get the TT less than the S3 given its ally panels and things...So a TT with a tank of petrol would weigh 30+kg more than a S3 with a gallon or two..and therefore a tanked up s3 would handle nearly as badly as the awful, uncontrollable 3.2...beats me how i get round the roundabout on the way to work everyday.....every Sunday i go to church and thank god i survived another week............:laugh:

Hahaha, just stick a set of castor wheels on the front.. it'll probably help.

Anyway, yeah I was a bit surprised about the weight of the TT too, still it is lighter than the S3, and it has an extra cylinder, and it has bigger wheels, and the exhaust system weighs more so I can kind of understand where it all adds up.
Incidentally, with your earlier comment about the weight of the 2.5L lump.
Through some fag packet calculations I'm going to say it is between 30 and 40kg lighter than the V6.
TT 3.2 = 1,490kg
TTRS = 1,450kg

There can't be that much else different with the rest of the car.

And sadly your musing about weight in the petrol tank are flawed..... think about where your petrol tank is? It isn't in front of the front wheels now is it ;)
More gas in the tank of your car will probably aid handling, making it more balanced, though will harm performance with more weight. With the S3 you can't escape the fact that they have tried to strip as much weight off the front axle as possible, lighter engine and lighter suspension components all aiding front end turn in.
In the TT they have tried to manage weight distribution more effectively by relocating the battery in to the floor of the boot.

Anyway, now i'm online properly and not with the iPhone I can throw some stats around to feed the fires of this debate, as I for one am enjoying it...

A3 3.2Q - 1,535 KG - 247bhp - 161bhp/tonne - 6.5s 0-60
S3 - 1,455KG - 261bhp - 180bhp/tonne - 5.7s 0-60
TT-RS - 1,450KG - 335bhp - 231/tonne - 4.6s 0-60

And for fun:
S3 Stage 2+ (c£3,000 of mod's) - 1,455KG - 360bhp - 247bhp/tonne
TT-RS Stage 1 (c£1000of mod's) - 1,450KG - 400bhp - 275bhp/tonne
My point here is the fact that an S3 taken to Stage 2+ is a mighty weapon!!!

So, in summary, on a good known twisty lane, the same driver in a stock S3 and then the A3 3.2 will be able to:
1. Accelerate quicker
2. Brake harder
3. Carry more speed through corners

Phew... my work here is finally done ;)

Last edited:
What about on that rare day that your not using your cars power/handling 100%, which is nicer to drive?

Poor Poor Sarah :nyah:

Warren, was the Leon standard? Still wondering whether I have stupidly overlooked it before buying the car below . . .

Poor Poor Sarah :nyah:

Warren, was the Leon standard? Still wondering whether I have stupidly overlooked it before buying the car below . . .

Revo Stage 2
Full Milltek (inc. 100 cell race catalysts)
Forge Front Mount Intercooler
Forge Turbo Intake Pipe
Debaffled race charge pipe
Forge 007P diverter valve
4 bar uprated fuel pressure regulator
NGK Iridium plugs
Dynatwist induction kit
SEATSport BTCC Leon touring car intake
S3 upper strut brace
KW V2 coilovers
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Autometer Phantom boost gauge (30psi)
EIP dogbone mount
EIP shortshift kit
Full Alpine sound system with DVD touchscreen head unit / 6" X-type components (front & rear) / V12 5 channel amp / R type 12" closed type subwoofer / iPod integration unit / 6 disc changer
Snooper Neo 6R speed camera detector with radar detector

So pretty modified!!

Just picking up this thread. I owned a 3.2 DSG S-Line A3 from new and kept it 3 years before trading it in for a new S3 which stayed standard for 8 months, Stage 1 for 6 months and Stage 2+ for 16 months (to date).

They're both nice cars but as a long-term owner of both I can say from experience that in EVERY situation the S3 is a better car. The interior is nicer so better in traffic jams; the turbo delivery is more thrilling so better in general driving conditions; the steering is better weighted so nicer in day-to-day driving; its much faster so better on track; the front end is (and feels) much much lighter so it corners better; suspension set-up is better so it feels more in touch with the road even when cruising.

I can see it's an interesting debate but anyone who has lived with both cars will have a very clear picture of which one is better. It's a no brainer. And I don't mean to "diss" anyone's car here - the 3.2 is a nice car. But it isn't as good as the S3. Not by a country mile

Just picking up this thread. I owned a 3.2 DSG S-Line A3 from new and kept it 3 years before trading it in for a new S3 which stayed standard for 8 months, Stage 1 for 6 months and Stage 2+ for 16 months (to date).

They're both nice cars but as a long-term owner of both I can say from experience that in EVERY situation the S3 is a better car. The interior is nicer so better in traffic jams; the turbo delivery is more thrilling so better in general driving conditions; the steering is better weighted so nicer in day-to-day driving; its much faster so better on track; the front end is (and feels) much much lighter so it corners better; suspension set-up is better so it feels more in touch with the road even when cruising.

I can see it's an interesting debate but anyone who has lived with both cars will have a very clear picture of which one is better. It's a no brainer. And I don't mean to "diss" anyone's car here - the 3.2 is a nice car. But it isn't as good as the S3. Not by a country mile

Nice fair and balanced point of view Iggu.

Why are all the quotes blacked out on my screen (a glitch of the new forum developments??)

What about on that rare day that your not using your cars power/handling 100%, which is nicer to drive?

Well, I guess they are both as nice to drive as each other, as everything we are debating pales in to insignificance when not pushing these cars hard... both have decent grunt, both haven a similar ride... etc, etc

Nice fair and balanced point of view Iggu.

Why are all the quotes blacked out on my screen (a glitch of the new forum developments??)

It all has a black background for me! Not nice!

and its still going,i do nights so only just been reading all the comments and banter,so everyone who has an s3 is defending them and those with the 3.2 also i just wish audi had stuck a turbo in.ps i love jamiekips ttrs and i never thought i would say that about the tt.

I've got to agree with Iggu.

I also had a 3.2 A3 for a good while,and whilst I loved the car,the current S3 is better in all areas except the engine sound.

It's faster,even in stock form(although not by much in stock),handles better(again not much from stock),and is noticeably more economical.

While we're on the topic of the new forum format....it's not working well here.

Not displaying forums properly,blacking out most of the threads and posts.

I guess the killer question is, two cars sat side by side (and from a position of balance assume they are both new).You can have either one and take it away for FREE. Assume all you have to pay for is running costs. We are arguing which is best, but the new ownership cost is clouding the issue as to which is 'best'.

So here's the decision: S3 2.0T and an A3 3.2 V6, both brand spanking new, which would you choose to drive away and own if it was FREE.

I still have to say S3.

Not quite sure why an S3 is a nicer place to sit than a 3.2...?

lol, oh and this goes on lol! Yup maybe, maybe the S3 is better in SOME ways lol, but as a lowly girl I love my little 3.2 esp as I love a good noise!!!!!

Hmmm, both sat there, spanking! new, which would I choose!! Well to be honest and dont tease me here, Id buy the cheaper 3.2 and use ALL that money I saved putting on a turbo lol.....:p:yum:

Like the new forum look just I cant tell which threads are unread!!! They all look the same, cant see if they are bold or not! Also alls a bit dark!!!!

Ahem yeah sorry iPhone kept on hanging connection and then load it hours later. Still it's a good point :)
ohh and can I echo the larger sig pic comment?
;)

iPhones...lol

echo!!! lol, Ive tried it bigger but I get shouted at by the mods! lol, must admit urs looks better, even with the pram handle!!!! lol :hubbahubba:

I guess the killer question is, two cars sat side by side (and from a position of balance assume they are both new).You can have either one and take it away for FREE. Assume all you have to pay for is running costs. We are arguing which is best, but the new ownership cost is clouding the issue as to which is 'best'.

So here's the decision: S3 2.0T and an A3 3.2 V6, both brand spanking new, which would you choose to drive away and own if it was FREE.

I still have to say S3.
I would have the 3.2 all day long. Not just saying that to be awkward though. I need to replace the 3.2 and i have tried several S3's All 2010 models and i cant get on with the lack of power and poor throttle response at traffic speeds of 30-40 mph which to be honest is where most of us spend the commute..It is looking rather like i will have to buy an S3 because there is little alternative if you want DSG and 4WD and a bit of fun but i would defo buy a new 3.2 if i could simply because i drive in the real world of traffic, speed camera's and rural lanes that have a blanket 40mph limit and there is always someone on a horse round the next blind bend :hubbahubba:......1k-2krpm super smooth grunt is more useful to me bearing in mind that 2krpm is 50mph..

The fact is that we own what we want...any one with a 3.2, hankering after a S3 can simply buy one and visa versa so its unlikely anyone will change their minds as a result of reading this :).I am fortunate and can buy what i want ! its knowing what i want thats the ****** problem......:think:

iPhones...lol

echo!!! lol, Ive tried it bigger but I get shouted at by the mods! lol, must admit urs looks better, even with the pram handle!!!! lol :hubbahubba:

I thought that was an ironing board....

Paddy, Id say you can buy mine......but noooooooooooooooo lol

You are lucky if you can buy what you want! very lucky, so either another 3.2 or the RS4!!!

.I am fortunate and can buy what i want ! its knowing what i want thats the ****** problem......:think:

one of the hardest decisions you can make!

and agree about personal choice

:rolleyes: Try again....

lol, as nothing in this world is free lol!!! (or maybe the lagers ive had lol) ok, ok, if it was FREE, still 3.2, sorry, maybe I have a nice spec but I do like mine, unless someone can persuade me otherwise with a ride in a stage2!!!!!!

Not quite sure why an S3 is a nicer place to sit than a 3.2...?

For some of these reasons but I'm sure there are many more I can't think of off the top of my head (I'm referring to MY two cars here - depends what you spec I suppose):

- heated seats as standard
- full leather as standard
- flat bottomed multi-functional steering wheel as standard
- aluminium trims as standard
- nicer gearknob
- black headlining as standard
- needle sweep and S3 branded dials
- aluminium pedals as standard
- aluminium gear surround and ashtray as standard

Quite a few reasons when I come ti think of it. My A3 interior was dull and lacked all of the above.

-