3.2 vs s3

wickyianr1

Reaction score
well guys and galls it hat to happen its taken 10 months but going to work 6pm last night coming off motorway a new s3 pulled in front of me i thought here we go, probably standard and i was surprised nothing in it at all got to work with a massive grin,ps if your on here you no who you are lovely car mate but i will keep my v6.:w00t:

great init dont get me wrong love the s3 probably me next car but i was surprised thought it would leave me standing just love me v6 sarah you no were im coming from.

great init dont get me wrong love the s3 probably me next car but i was surprised thought it would leave me standing just love me v6 sarah you no were im coming from.

I soooo do and love mine too! Wonder if any S3 drivers have actually tried a V6, ohhh now they will shout lol. I too would love an S3 but hey, happy dayz!!!!

I,ve driven both and know a few people who have had both.

The 3.2 in my view isn't far off a S3 in a stright line.... Day to day performance I think the 3.2 is better and if you want to be nailing it the S3 is quicker...

Yes an S3 is quicker and conciderably quicker if mapped...

guys i have to say i love the 3.2 aswell, i own an s3 which isnt standard so i the 3.2 doesnt feel that fast but when u drive it, you have a lot of fun well i do anyway, love the way it delivers power and love the noise. im using a tt 3.2 at the moment and you get a lot of looks when giving it some, maybe more than the s3.. its just a shame there not that tunable (well for any decent money - ok if you have 5g's++) otherwise i know what id have...

guys i have to say i love the 3.2 aswell, i own an s3 which isnt standard so i the 3.2 doesnt feel that fast but when u drive it, you have a lot of fun well i do anyway, love the way it delivers power and love the noise. im using a tt 3.2 at the moment and you get a lot of looks when giving it some, maybe more than the s3.. its just a shame there not that tunable (well for any decent money - ok if you have 5g's++) otherwise i know what id have...

yeh I have imagined what it would be like with a Turbo bolted on lol! Woul dlove to do it if I won the lottery lol, all that extra power and the sound of the V6.

But you are right, they are close but the gap obviously opens up loads when the S3 is mapped and then they come into their own! (bar the noise lol....its all i have lol)

yeh I have imagined what it would be like with a Turbo bolted on lol! Woul dlove to do it if I won the lottery lol, all that extra power and the sound of the V6.

But you are right, they are close but the gap obviously opens up loads when the S3 is mapped and then they come into their own! (bar the noise lol....its all i have lol)

Well this noise might change your mind, but just slightly (do love the r32 noise though, you should put a video up)

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously considered the 3.2 8P when looking at my new car. Decided to go for the old style S3 8L purely and utterly based on the MPG. I.e. I can drive like a granny in a 1.8 day to day then boot it when required (the Recaros were an added bonus).

Sarah, seen the video of the 3.2 twin turbo Golf R32 on youtube? Sounds incredible, coupled with some serious go. 550bhp.

^^ seen that a couple of times in the 8L section - always the same response of "shame it looks like it's crashed into Halfrauds". Much prefer Tufftybloke's standard look.

Sorry, off topic!

I seriously considered the 3.2 8P when looking at my new car. Decided to go for the old style S3 8L purely and utterly based on the MPG. I.e. I can drive like a granny in a 1.8 day to day then boot it when required (the Recaros were an added bonus).

Sarah, seen the video of the 3.2 twin turbo Golf R32 on youtube? Sounds incredible, coupled with some serious go. 550bhp.

No way!!! 550bhp, mmmmhhhh! now that woul dbe good fun lol

Its simple for one car to be quicker than another on paper but for a car to leave another on the road it needs to be a lot quicker..I prefer the 3.2 by quite a way but i wouldnt say its a better car or faster or slower, just a different car in most aspects.

That said, people in 3.2's are usually highly intelligent and extremely good looking. :thumbsup:

Its simple for one car to be quicker than another on paper but for a car to leave another on the road it needs to be a lot quicker..I prefer the 3.2 by quite a way but i wouldnt say its a better car or faster or slower, just a different car in most aspects.

That said, people in 3.2's are usually highly intelligent and extremely good looking. :thumbsup:

:iagree:

thought you would be along paddy to give your support i was very surprised the s3 didnt leave me to be honest

Had an A3 3.2 3dr (with milltek non-res) previous to my S3 and I miss the noise so much, had a bit of a run against an S3 through a tunnel and the s3 didnt really make any ground on me and the noise of my car all but drowned out the S3, the problem came when we hit sharp bends after the tunnel I had to get on the brakes quite hard but the S3 seemed to just keep going

I wonder now if I've made a mistake because I'm planning on going big turbo on the s3 and if im not wrong it would have cost me about the same to get a turbo on the 3.2!!!ahwell

car5.jpg

Last edited:
Had an A3 3.2 3dr (with milltek non-res) previous to my S3 and I miss the noise so much, had a bit of a run against an S3 through a tunnel and the s3 didnt really make any ground on me and the noise of my car all but drowned out the S3, the problem came when we hit sharp bends after the tunnel I had to get on the brakes quite hard but the S3 seemed to just keep going

I wonder now if I've made a mistake because I'm planning on going big turbo on the s3 and if im not wrong it would have cost me about the same to get a turbo on the 3.2!!!ahwell

Least you had a 3.2!! and enjoyed it! Although if you go down the big turbo route...wow! Let us know how you get on if you do it!

Can I join the club?

Still have the S3 with Miltek but pick up the 3.6 flat 6 on Saturday will this make me a stud too?

The Addiction for modding car's is hard to leave alone as just been pricing up race exhaust, K&N induction and a Revo map for my new toy! I really wish I could stop playing with car's.

Gaz

Let us know how you get on with the 996 gaz..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Id2O0vC7Lk how bout this 3.2 with a turbo. i know its the 8L but hey.
if i had the choice i would go for the s3 purely for the reasons that i can tune it alot, but the noise of a v6 would be tempting

that 8L thing is sick!!! not nice looking but wow.. there sloads of vids linked to it of him munching supercars.. love that. id also like to know how much it all set him back, well over 10k:icon_thumright:

am i right in sayin the s3 has better internals though? making it a better/cheaper option to put a BT? i dont think you made the wronmg decision...

Really? Any 3.2 I have come up against has been anihilated and blown off the face of the earth :p

Sorry, did you mean annihilated??? lol okay!!! im sure you have esp if yours is mapped but hey its not all about straight line speed now is it!

give it to em sarah if an s3 was 330bhp ye it would leave me for dead i even thought in standard trim it would leave me but it didnt 06 3.2 cost me £13000 last year the s3 brand new 2010 how much ?

Makes you wonder what he drives because it cant be an S3....:no:.

give it to em sarah if an s3 was 330bhp ye it would leave me for dead i even thought in standard trim it would leave me but it didnt 06 3.2 cost me £13000 last year the s3 brand new 2010 how much ?

You would be fine Ian, just remember when he gets to 70k miles it will be a wreck and you will be just run in...:faint:

mine only done 46000 on a 06 happy days oh and dont forget us dsg chaps can change alot quicker than manual.

Ha...mines done 44k on a 04....Cant say i have seen it for 10 days mind...

Too be fair in the real world I can't destroy cars with slightly less power so it's difficult to see how a standard s3 destroys a 3.2.

Too be fair in the real world I can't destroy cars with slightly less power so it's difficult to see how a standard s3 destroys a 3.2.

Destroy is a horribly overused word on car forums, and to be fair I think destroying is what a Bugatti Veyron would do to a Polo Bluemotion.

A car pulling away from another whatever it is, can hardly be termed as destroying.

To give you an example, on Top Gear they did an article on a VMAX for the Veyron. To make the first 155mph you need approximately 270bhp. To make the next 100mph (to 255mph) you need nearly 700bhp (due to wind resistance, car limitations etc.).

So for something like a 3.2 V6 which has about 250bhp, the extra 50-100bhp an S3 may have over the top actually doesn't make a night and day differences. It's tenths here, tenths there, and if that makes for 3 seconds a lap on a track like Bedford Autodrome (which is what the S3 beat the R32 Mk5 Golf by in an Autocar test), it's hardly conclusive.

As long as you enjoy what you have, then it's all good!

The only way to seriously beat a car off the line is on a bike, my suzuki B-King will eat any cay other than a veyron off the line, its good for 2.6 to 60 and 5.9 to 100. That being said I get my s3 soon and I went for it over the 3.2 purely because of the condition of it and I think the s3 bodykit is just that little bit nicer.

Aslong as we enjoy what we own its all good in the hood.