3.2 V6 remap

Hunty

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just booked my 3.2 V6 in for a remap on 8th March this year. By my calculations, I drive 12000miles a year, and should get 4mpg more on average. Which means that it will have paid for itself after under a year. Pluss the extra torque lower down, which is what I think the car misses, and I can't see the point in not doing it! I'm a returning customer (they remapped my fabia VRS) and he gives millitary discount so it's costing me a total of £235.

So the question is really for the people with their cars remapped, have you noticed an improvement in fuel economy?

Watch this space and I'll update after I've driven in for a few tanks full and see what extra I get, but I doubt it will be reserved driving for the first few!

Regards,

Neil

Sorry but i noticed no increase in fuel economy and its very difficult to see why a remap should improve fuel economy on a NA engine. All you are doing is moving the advance curve so dont expect a power increase either. you may however move the torque curve but i doubt you would notice on the road.
Its essential you get a before and after RR chart or non of it means anything..

Have a read of this which i posted following my remap.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?84486-3-2-remap-the-truth-is-out-!&highlight=Paddy

Last edited:
Hey Paddy,

I read your post before, I'm quite dissappointed with the performance of the 3.2, especially lower down the rev range, so if I can get that torque curve down the rev range a little, then I will be more than happy. Unfortunately it won't be RR'd, but for £235, I think its a risk worth taking, I will get it RR'd after once i find the nearest one to my house. To be honest, I'm more interested in the feel of the car afterwards. Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? Or the opposite to yourself paddy. Fingers crossed ey! Ha Ha. If I'm not happy with it they will take it off and give me a full refund, they're a pretty good business.

Neil

If they just let you trial it then your on a win win situation. Please let us know how you get on. I think you will notice a few refinements but i have DSG and that sort of solves the bottom end torque because it simply changes gear to put the revs up when you want to pull hard.
Hope it goes well :)

Well I find the 3.2 quite strong low down, had no complaints yet and no comments about being female!!!!
Had quiet alot of cars with remaps now and to be honest the best was the ones with a REVO remap! I found the mpg esp on the mkIV Golf was excellent. I found remaps better on diesels than petrol but hey worth ago esp if they will refund! Good luck and let us know, i'd be intersted if it improves this engine.

Will let you all know how I get on guys, it's a good car, don't get me wrong, it's just my Fabia VRS pulled just as well as my A3 does, if it wasn't for the shorter diesel rev range, the fabia would have possibly been quicker. Expected 250 BHP to pull like a B***ard. Must admit, when I got mine it struggled higher up the rev range, but I've been through a few tanks of 99ron fuel (shell v-power and tesco) and its great up the rev range now. The engine is designed to run off 98ron or higher so no surprises there, and as paddy put on his Remap post from a while back, it gives you 10 BHP. Will see on the 8th March! Looking forward to it now.

don't be fooled by the torque of the Fabia..yes with a map it'mm more torquey then your A3, but its also the way its delivered which is so decieving. Had the same engine mapped in my last car (Bora) and the sudden surge of torque at 1800 rpms when the turbo spools really kicks you up the **** when you initially accelerate, which is missing obv in the v6.
But after 3.8k the diesel is really struggling whereas the v6 is still pulling strong. the more linear power delivery of the staggered 6 is why it dnt feel as quick from the seat of the pants.
but side by side there be no comparison!

Thats what I mean though, I'd expect 250 BHP to kick me right up the ****, and that's what I wanted, but I know now that it isn't designed to be that way. But that isn't going to stop me trying to get it to give me thay euphoric feeling. Kick me 3.2, kick me!!!!Bet your remapped 2.0tfsi gives you thatfeeling! not jealous much:keule:

A remap on a N/A vehicle isn't going to give you the 'kick' your after no matter how good a company or the actual map is! you just won't have the parameters to play with in terms of modifying the map itself to achieve the kick in the pants sort of gains you will actually feel on the road!

You may see an increase on the dyno, keep a keen eye on the Atmospheric and the measured Engine Intake temperature when they do the run by the way, but in 'rea worldl' terms i think you'll be left still alittle disappointed

Hunty, its not bhp that kicks you up the ***, it torque. the A3 is too heavy to ever be what you want mate its just not that sort of car. If you can throw the rear seats out and all the other junk you never use you just might drop the weight enough to raise your power weight ratio a bit. Its always cheaper to lose weight that gain power.

For that shove in the back feeling then you really need forced induction mate.
Something the 20T does very well when mapped.

lt wont sound as nice as the V6 though and you will have to drive around the boosty engine characteristics, which can be fun in itself!

Personaly I wouldnt throw money at the car trying to change its characteristics unless you have deep pockets and go the Turbo route.

Change it or enjoy it for what it is IMO.

Good luck
Paul

Last edited:
thanks for the info gents, think I will be a little disappointed and always did, but more of the torque is delivered lower down then I thought it may feel a little quicker. Will see, Forced induction is the future Paul. But did want the big engine noise, which I never tire of! Like I say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think an S3 upgrade will be on the card in a few years. But will give this a try and see, then maybe save my pennies for the remus back box that Paddy has got for extra burble. Would love to drop the weight Paddy but Had to get a new car with back seats. New arrival to the family. Don't fancy losing air con or other things in the car, like ytou say paddy, its what a car is designed for.

As already mentioned I think you should leave the remap TBH. yes mine does give me a nice kick up the **** , esp after remap & DP :). But, for a turbo its one of the most linear power deliveries you would come across.
If i was you I would find myself a well priced stainless exhaust for the vr6 it will sound just lovely, this engine is up there with Alfas V6 as one of the nicest sounding 6 cyl engines made.
Just need to un-choke it abit. You will gain a few lb/ft torque as well in the process although admitadely pricey for the gain.
Some lightweight alloys would make a big difference too.
Unless you want to spend big bucks on cams , supercharger or turbo there's not much you can do to that engine.

Had the remap This afternoon. Andy from Angel tuning did it. He took me for a blast before, remapped it, then took me for a blast after. Was there a difference? Yes, more than I was expecting too! Don't get me wrong, it's not like the remap I had on my Fabia vrs, But it lit up the traction control in 2nd gear. From behind the wheel, it is less noticeable, but 2n again is great, and it reached the rev limiter with ease. I'm happy with the £235 I've spent, will let you know how I get on with the fuel economy, after the novelty has worn off!:rockwoot:

Hi Hunty,
I hope to get my 2.0tdi 140 CR remapped when I get it, do you now if your mate can do this for me and how much will he charge?
Thanks in advance

Glad your happy Hunty ;) shame you couldn't get any figures.

Hey Rick,
He could definately do it for you. Best if you give them a call or email them. Say your mate Neil Hunt has just had a remap done with you for the 2nd time and your impressed with it and ask what price they would charge! Think they may do you a deal, they do discount anyway for military and emergency services. They will get yours up to around 180BHP with a good hike in torque too! My friend has hids 2.0 TDI A3 done and was well impressed with everything about it, power and MPG, and as said before they did my 1.9 TDI Fabia Vrs and it was superb. The fact that it's mobile is a massive convenience!

Thanks Paddy, would like to know the figures for the others thinking of getting it done but not too worried about it to be honest. Feels better so thats me happy:icon_thumright:

Hunty
"Feels better so thats me happy"...Thats what its all about mate, To much emphasis put on bhp figures on this site and not enough on drivability and torque and basically how it feels on the road.

I am having mine done in a few weeks by chip uk so will look forward to it.
I think in a n/a car you should not expect to much as they just cant achieve it, but anything eles is a bonus.
I will be having roling road session with them, and then up to awesome gti to see what it makes on there rollers.

Normally aspirated as a posed to forced induction (turbo)

Hunty
"Feels better so thats me happy"...Thats what its all about mate, To much emphasis put on bhp figures on this site and not enough on drivability and torque and basically how it feels on the road.

Exactly Paddy, I don't want to have the most powerful car on the forum, it would cost far too much.I just want to be happy with my motor. It would be interesting to know the Torque gains, so found a rolling road nearby so may book a session. Not going to get addicted to gaining BHP. Would like to get it looking a little better, in a completely standard way. An exhaust and tinted windows, maybe lowered. And get a full geo set up done as it made a massive difference on my Mx5, but that was a fully adjustable suspension, anyone know if the A3 is too?

Definately Lee, for a couple hundred £ its well worth it. You'll be made up with the extra BHP Sarah, must admit took it for a little drive today and didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption, but the engine had hardly got warm after 15 miles. Will fill the tank and see how it gets on.

Let me know what Nigel and Andy quote you Rick, if it's less than £310 or around that, it's pretty good, that's what I paid for my first diesel remap with military discount.

I
Exactly Paddy, I don't want to have the most powerful car on the forum, it would cost far too much.I just want to be happy with my motor. It would be interesting to know the Torque gains, so found a rolling road nearby so may book a session. Not going to get addicted to gaining BHP. Would like to get it looking a little better, in a completely standard way. An exhaust and tinted windows, maybe lowered. And get a full geo set up done as it made a massive difference on my Mx5, but that was a fully adjustable suspension, anyone know if the A3 is too?

Definately Lee, for a couple hundred £ its well worth it. You'll be made up with the extra BHP Sarah, must admit took it for a little drive today and didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption, but the engine had hardly got warm after 15 miles. Will fill the tank and see how it gets on.

Let me know what Nigel and Andy quote you Rick, if it's less than £310 or around that, it's pretty good, that's what I paid for my first diesel remap with military discount.
I think you should go for a stage 1 VF supercharger kit, there not that expensive! get you past 300 bhp easy, & nice linear power delivery, and great sound,

LOL, let's face it, I'm not going to smash a supercharger on my A3 and say, this is my A3, it has 330BHP. Mmmmmm, that's just not me, I'd rather buy a car that is designed to handle that kind of power. Fair play to the boy's on here that love that, but I just want a decent car, not bragging rights. A3 good for now, but it will never sound as good as a M3 or S4. I do like them to look a little different though. Chris' orange A3 for example. Sweet. Update on the MPG. Went for a 50 mile drive today, computer said 32.6 MPG. Happy with that, best yet so far and I was doing 60 mostly and overtaking. Will fill the tank tomorrow and let you know what MPG it actually does!

Fantastic car, but gonna wait til I'm 30 before I attempt to insure a bad boy like that! A few years to go thank god!!!

Fantastic car, but gonna wait til I'm 30 before I attempt to insure a bad boy like that! A few years to go thank god!!!

Yeah I'm past that point now, so car insurance is cheap as chips now. I just have to deal with my hair falling out instead now!

Luckily don't have that problem, but I've got grey clumps of hair like graham norton! Makes me look intelligent!:lmfao:

Its 3.2's that make your hair fall out...its called stress Pete...

Oh and never mind the M3...go try a 335d Coupe...what a laugh :))

335d's are very expensive, but they go! Got a nice sound too, bloke over the road has one! And yes, it does really matter Sarah. Remember the film witches (Dahl wrote the book). women don't look good without hair, men are just too manly to wear a wig on the whole! Anybody else enjoy watching Utd battering a bunch Of old men? I did! Oh, and yes pete, just like a big gay! :crying: