3.2 top mount replacement

Yannis

Reaction score
I seem to have a faint knocking noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds/standstill. At first I thought it may be the steering rack, but after some further investigation I reccon it's the top mounts.

I narrowed it down to what I think are worn top mounts after putting my hand on the spring and getting a friend to turn the steering wheel, it felt really notchy like something was catching. There is nothing at the bottom to catch so I guess it must be up the top?

There are plenty of guides for top mount replacement on the standard A3 that uses a rubber mount and separate bearing, but the 3.2 uses something a little different.

Can I replace this part with use of spring compressors whilst the spring etc is still on the car?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406927013723902

no mate you need to take the strut out to change the top mount ,and that's only the bearing part in the photo make sure you change the other half of that

I seem to have a faint knocking noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds/standstill. At first I thought it may be the steering rack, but after some further investigation I reccon it's the top mounts.

I narrowed it down to what I think are worn top mounts after putting my hand on the spring and getting a friend to turn the steering wheel, it felt really notchy like something was catching. There is nothing at the bottom to catch so I guess it must be up the top?

There are plenty of guides for top mount replacement on the standard A3 that uses a rubber mount and separate bearing, but the 3.2 uses something a little different.

Can I replace this part with use of spring compressors whilst the spring etc is still on the car?

View attachment 37535

Same top mount for all the A3s, basically
wheel off
brakes off
hub off
strut out
change both parts of the top mount - kit 30-40 quid FEBI or other
then refit.

I have a lemforder bearing, does it matter if this is mixed with a FEBI top mount?

I am also having trouble finding the actual top mount, eurocarparts don't have them and there doesn't seem to be much on the bay for the 3.2?

Cheers for the replies.

I currently just have the stock setup. I have no idea how much a set of coil overs would cost?

Whilst were on the topic of where to source parts, does any one know the part numbers for the 3 gearbox mount bolts? I added a dogbone insert but it keeps coming loose and I get a knock until I do it all up again. I believe the stretch bolts may no longer have any stretch?