3.2 Timing Chain.

EvilxElf

Reaction score
I've done a search but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

At what mileage/time does the cam chain need replacing on the A3 3.2?

I've been told by a private seller of a 3.2 that he checked with his local dealer and they told him they never need changing; they last the life of the engine.

Been told by another private seller every 80k miles / 5 years and told by another private seller that his local Audi dealer said the 75k miles / 5 year rule is only for Audi's with cambelts and the 3.2 is different (although he didn't give a mileage/time).

I've rang an Audi dealer before myself and he said 75k miles / 5 years.

Anyone actually know? Also whilst here, can anyone give me a rough price Audi charge to change a timing chain?

Thanks!

They should, if you believe the blurb, last the lifetime of the engine... I dont know that AUDI recommend them needing changing every 5 years/75k and regarding cost, its very expensive to have done, I think you're talking £1.5k+ and its an engine out job.

I'll check my service book later and let you know if theres anything in there on the subject.

They should last the life of the engine (there are 2), however it is a known weak spot on the 3.2 that the upper chain can stretch and in worst case scenario, can snap. A worn chain can be detected by a vag com scan or can be heard rattling down by the gearbox side of the engine and £1.5k is a very conservative price!
My local Audi dealer quoted me £2.2k and were cheaper than local independants. It ended up costing £3.2k in the end!

Thanks.

Seems a little of putting now as 04/05 A3 3.2's are all getting old now and racking the mileage :(

There are still plenty of good examples out there... I wouldnt let the potential chance of a timing chain issue occuring put you off - I dont know statistics but I dont think its THAT common, there arent many threads on here where 3.2 owners are reporting timing chain issues. Just be thorough in checking out a car as you would any car, if there is a timing chain issue you will hear it - check youtube out for an example of how a 3.2 with an chain issue sounds.

I'd just make sure that there was no metallic rattling, other than that they are a great car and very underestimated since the S3 came out, in some ways a much nicer drive with it being a big engined non turbo'd car

The problem I'm having is I know I could find one with chains with no rattles, but they could start rattling soon after buying, not saying they will let go, but rattling alone is not good. Then if I do need to change them it's going to be expensive :(

Yeah but you could say that about ANY car. All cars have weak points and potential expensive fixes. For example some bmw diesels have swirl flaps that ingest themselves into the engine and your talking £££££ to replace an engine on one of those.
Best advice would be to buy from a dealer and then you will have comeback if you do find problems with it!

Like they say, all cars have some risks. Be cautious of course but dont be put off. Other engines have other issues. Good luck

Other VAG engines do have common issues but none seem to be anywhere near as bad or expensive as the 3.2's weak timing chains.

Exactly my point lol. Of course all engines have weak points but the 3.2 is a REALLY expensive weak point.

Timing belt on my current car was £350 from the dealer, no where near £2500!

What percentage of 3.2s have had there chains go? Very few indeed.

One on here was done to cure the hesitancy issue... Which we later found to be the software update...

Exactly my point lol. Of course all engines have weak points but the 3.2 is a REALLY expensive weak point.

Timing belt on my current car was £350 from the dealer, no where near £2500!

Its not a weak point. its an occasional fault, no more or less than any other engine. audi are talking rubbish with 75k 5 years..lol. They sent me a letter saying my timing belt change interval had been reduced and i dont even have a timing belt...
As far as A3's and problems go, my chain has been the least of my worries. I have spent a lot more than £2.5k in the last 3 years just keeping the thing running and roadworthy...and it still has less than 45k miles on the clock..
If your worried about running cost, dont buy an Audi where it will cost you £150/hour and £100 for 5ltr's of oil, just to get an oil change

Its not a weak point. its an occasional fault, no more or less than any other engine. audi are talking rubbish with 75k 5 years..lol. They sent me a letter saying my timing belt change interval had been reduced and i dont even have a timing belt...
As far as A3's and problems go, my chain has been the least of my worries. I have spent a lot more than £2.5k in the last 3 years just keeping the thing running and roadworthy...and it still has less than 45k miles on the clock..
If your worried about running cost, dont buy an Audi where it will cost you £150/hour and £100 for 5ltr's of oil, just to get an oil change

Well said Paddy!!! :icon_thumright:

Ive read loads on here and timing chains were hardly mentioned! And i'd say the 2.0tdi has worse issues with turbos and especially porous heads! Far far worse in my book!!!

Thanks Sarah

Its a problem with these sort of sites where people who might have a problem congregate and swop stories. You always have to remember that if one person has a problem with a chain and posts here, there are probably five hundred who didnt have a problem and never post here. so if ten people have a problem and post it looks like a disaster but its likely that five thousand didnt have a problem.. so the serious problem/Issue can easily become 100% of posters but only a fifth of a 1% of owners......

Does that make sense ?? lol, just tell me to shut up :yes:

At the end of the day though modern Audis are nowhere near as bulletproof or well engineered as you would expect for the money or the image they pervay. The same goes for Mercs although they upped their game again recently and are back on track to match the solidity of the 80/90s.

absolutely akash
Thats why mine is back in the garage again this week..3rd time this year already..

Thanks Sarah

Its a problem with these sort of sites where people who might have a problem congregate and swop stories. You always have to remember that if one person has a problem with a chain and posts here, there are probably five hundred who didnt have a problem and never post here. so if ten people have a problem and post it looks like a disaster but its likely that five thousand didnt have a problem.. so the serious problem/Issue can easily become 100% of posters but only a fifth of a 1% of owners......

Does that make sense ?? lol, just tell me to shut up :yes:

I know exactly what you are saying. People shouldnt always hang on every thread literally, its a place to share problems and gain help but isnt always a true picture of the whole! It never put me off the 3.2 even when you hear of DSG issues etc, its just handy to know what possibly could go wrong but may never do.

Well said again Paddy

Dont really know how to use this site but reading these and i thought id ask!

Ive got the a3 3.2quattro dsg v6

Plugged the car in to a comp and come up with tensioner sensors or something like that got a few codes just says need to replace the sensors thats all but been reading these about the rattling noise but cant here a rattle but the engine is making the hole car shake, but i do have a couple of misfires and when i put my foot down at about 3500 revs the car lacks and then boots then happens again at about 4500 then goes again and fine then next gear does the same, any 1 had the same sort of problem and could it be the chain or could it be coil pack spark plugs any think like that, if anyone could help would really appreciate it

Cheers

Firstly, phone Audi UK Customer Service, 0800699888 and find out if your car has had the Coil Pack Recall work done.
Next thing to do, is speak to them about the ECU upgrade. This is a 20 min flash of the ECU to get rid of all the original gremlins Audi had in there. They may deny all knowledge of it, but I have had both of these done and the car runs much smoother for having it.
I asked about the tensioners when I had my last service done at 82000 miles and they were as much of a bu**erance to do than the cam chain itself.
Maybe the sensors are less of a burden to do.
Good luck with it anyway, great cars when they're going well.

Cheers, Yeh the car was runnin fine when i bought it, my bro did a diagnostic on it and come up with sensors but was driving absolutley fine, then a week later it went funny now drives like **** but if it has to be the chain that gets done i will get it done anyway its a lovely motor, when you say coil recall what do you mean by that,

Cheers

Cheers, Yeh the car was runnin fine when i bought it, my bro did a diagnostic on it and come up with sensors but was driving absolutley fine, then a week later it went funny now drives like **** but if it has to be the chain that gets done i will get it done anyway its a lovely motor, when you say coil recall what do you mean by that,

Cheers

The 3.2's were treated to a coil upgrade courtesy of Audi. It's free and if your car needs it, Audi UK Customer Service will tell you over the phone.

Oh lovely ill give it a try does it matter what year?

Lovely cheers apreciate it!

Reactions: Jake 61
Yer I have had a 3.2 dsg and my chain stretched and bent the valves not good at all to be honest I just ended up scrapping the car as it was just not worth fixing it

Interesting thread! I have a 3.2 FSI Allroad 2007 and have a brief rattle on startup (maybe less than a second before it goes). I'm wondering whether to replace the top tensioners, which can be done with the engine still in the car, or whether as some people seem to say, once they start rattling the chain is stretched and replacing the tensioners will only buy you a little time before the rattle comes back?

The car has 105k miles on it and I've owned it around three months, so don't know how long it's been rattling.

ooooh you are opening a can of worms ..but

I am pretty sure your 3.2 has hydraulic tappets and it sounds to me like yours are getting tired, they can leak down when the engine is off and they take a few revs to re fill when you start so you can get a slight rattle on start up

Thanks Paddy. That's an interesting alternative theory which I haven't heard before. Perhaps I should record an audio clip and post it up, so I can get further advice.

If a cam chain is rattling it tends to rattle all the time on tickover.