3.2 Timing chain replacement.

craig bryan

Reaction score
So with the prospect of spending a lot of time at home with the current world crisis, I thought it was time to change the Timing chains on my 2004 3.2 quattro DSG.
Im putting together the tooling and spares and I think a head gasket set gives me all the seals for the timing case but, when reading through the procedure on ELSA, it mentions using sealing paste!
Does anyone know a suitable product or do I have to go to the main dealer?
I havent seen a definitive guide to replace the chains so im hoping not to encounter to many unknowns beyond the proceedure i have.
I will also have a look at the clutch whilst it is out. Im guessing it might also need a DMF but time will tell!
Any help greatly appreciated before the nightmare begins!

I used this product from ECP when recently sealing the timing chain tensioner onto the cylinder head of my VW 1.8T. I also used on the change of direction points of the cam cover gasket. Fingers crossed, everything seems fine.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/v-tech-red-gasket-sealant-85g-549773385

However, I think for something as important as the job you are proposing, I’d be using the recommended VW product. If you search around, there are dealers open for service and parts and so the same sealant will be used for the VW 3.2 engine.

Reactions: craig bryan
I used this product from ECP when recently sealing the timing chain tensioner onto the cylinder head of my VW 1.8T. I also used on the change of direction points of the cam cover gasket. Fingers crossed, everything seems fine.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/v-tech-red-gasket-sealant-85g-549773385

However, I think for something as important as the job you are proposing, I’d be using the recommended VW product. If you search around, there are dealers open for service and parts and so the same sealant will be used for the VW 3.2 engine.

Think I have something similar from a previous job and ECP list Dirko S HT paste for gaskets but I take your point that its going to be pretty crap to have to take the engine out again if it does not seal.

The proper stuff is more pricey and I believe that AKS use genuine for this type of build. That's good enough for me.

On another note im facing the dilemma of weather or not to change the DMF. I dont have any issues but whilst the box is out i thought it might make sense. From what ive read the clutch is pretty reliable if DSG oil changes are done. Has anyone got experience of DMF issues on a 3.2?

Reactions: samuelh_888
If you’re going to hold onto the car then it’s worth doing the DMF while the gearbox is out. If you do DMF, do the complete clutch yeah, don’t just replace half.

Dirko sealant is excellent but as Peter says, check with VAG.

If you’re going to hold onto the car then it’s worth doing the DMF while the gearbox is out. If you do DMF, do the complete clutch yeah, don’t just replace half.

Dirko sealant is excellent but as Peter says, check with VAG.

Yeah I had considered clutch but im not clear on weather you buy a full assembly or you can buy a servicing kit?
With regards the sealant, I started stripping the car down today and the sump gasket looks suspiciously like white silicone???
Its not leaking but I cant imagine the main dealer did that!

Update: Engine out and setting timing. With camshaft locking bar inserted the crankshaft mark has gone just under 2cm past its mark. I checked it several times. Just saw a setup video where the guy says this isnt unusual and to make a new mark!!!
I just wondered if anyone had come across this before?
The car was running fine so i will be suprised if it was that far out.