3.2 software update - Portsmouth Audi

Cooperuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

hope this helps someone....

Finally had agreement from Portsmouth Audi to update the software on my 3.2.

Thanks to previous postees who supplied the information on TPI etc.

I sent them an email asking for it to be passed onto the master tech and he got back to me.

Just need to call and arrange a time now.

Whoop!

Coop

Reactions: THQuattro
Well done mate, its well worth doing even if you dont need it now, its one less thing to worry about later :)

Cooperuk, don't suppose you could PM me the content of your email you sent to Portsmouth Audi requesting the update work? I'm not having much luck with Camberley Audi (part of the Colbournes Group) so might try another branch that's non-Colbournes which I think is Walton Audi.

I tried this with Birmingham Audi and they didn't want to know at all. Even with all the information they still wanted to charge me too do it.

Northampton Audi did it, although they treated me like I didn't know what I was on about

I had it booked in for other work at the same time which probably helped as they were always gonna get some money out of me.

£56 for a 10min update but worth every penny, the other work was haldex oil and filter change and was only £20 labour!

Loads smoother, picks up loads better and getting an extra 30-50 miles out of a tank

They are going to be charging me for the work....but at least they have admitted the software exists!

Northampton Audi did it, although they treated me like I didn't know what I was on about

I had it booked in for other work at the same time which probably helped as they were always gonna get some money out of me.

£56 for a 10min update but worth every penny, the other work was haldex oil and filter change and was only £20 labour!

Loads smoother, picks up loads better and getting an extra 30-50 miles out of a tank

Same here, I was treated like a child by one of the staff. Needless to say I made a complaint someone helped me. They admitted the software existed but said they wouldn't but it on my car without diagnoses first, at £150

This is what I wrote:

I have been made aware that there is a possible issue with the engine management system and that a software update for the ECU has been issued for this engine.

The TPI number is 2010289/3 (it also worded gearbox judder poor acceleration when changing gears at high revs)

The SVM code for the update is 8P01A005

CD UPDATE DISC 4F0 906 961 N

I am aware of a variety of owners who have had this software updated on their cars, having read about them and been in contact with them via the www . audi-sport . net website.

Please see the attached link for confirmation if needed:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...elp-software-update-equivelent-vw-6463-a.html

There is a variety of other sources for this information online.

I would like to have this update performed on my car as soon as possible.

I understand that it is a 30 minute job and costs about £50 - this would be acceptable.

Please contact me ASAP to arrange for the work to be carried out.

Brendan, know it's a bit of a trek but what about trying Northampton audi?

It's 10mins update if they can find the latest tpi on the system or half hour from the cd, so it could be done while you wait. You shouldn't need diagnostics as it's a software update nothing else.

Hi. Is the 2010289/3 update only for A3 3.2s? I have a TT 3.2 DSG which sounds like it would benefit from the new software. Controller no: 022.906.032.DP

Hi,

I have a 2005 05 3.2 manual misfiring and popping @ 2000 rpm , will this update work for my car too? tried derby audi but they want to replace lambda sensors as well as the update software costing as this is what Audi recommend £800!!!!,
I get the feeling there trying to make a cheap job expensive!!!!!

I phoned Glasgow Audi about this on friday and the don't know anything about the update but if I liked I could book the car in for a diagnostic check. I would have booked it in if they knew about the update but I don't see the point of paying for the check for them to say there is no update I even gave them the tpi number and still got nothing.

I now fully understand the benefit of this, a friend had his coilpacks replaced and software updated, the ride was so smooth I felt a lil upset when I got back in mine! The V6 should be that smooth.

I get the random revving and slight hesitation, am also in Birmingham and I can tell you Birmingham Audi are terrible.

They are that bad I no longer get servicing from there, I had to write a letter and wait 3 weeks for them to fix a problem they started. I was literally seconds away from a court proceeding but luckily the branch manager understood the terms "liability" and "Audi admitted"!

They had to do warranty work once and I heard the service guy say "I cant just tell him to go away hes still at my desk", lol - prestige brand customer service :w00t:, then they wanted me to pay 3k and they would refund me for it - lol!

I may give a try at Stratford Audi, but first I need to confirm if my car needs it, should I buy a VCDS or would a good independent have it?

Also - the diagnostic is just to make a £150, its like saying "we will listen just give us £150" -.-, what would be a help is it anyone has a confirmation in writing or email from any Audi service department that we could use as evidence.

hi all i`am new to this forum i read the big discussion on the forum regarding the softwhere update, mine is also in need of this where do i get the information needed to take to my audi dealer .
has anyone else been to shropshire audi either shrewsbury or telford with this issue becouse it looks like some of us are having issues with the dealers saying this does not exist.

many thanks

Hi Donna
Firstly we need to know a few details about the car. age for one thing ?
Do you have any symptoms that make you think you might need a software up date ?

thanks for the reply paddy
my car is a 2005 3.2 v6 dsg 52000 miles , while accelerating slowly it hesitation between 1200rpm and 2000rpm . and on some mornings it feels a little lumpy the car has been maintained by audi and sounds sweet , i read the big discussion on the forum you know your stuff.

Sorry to wake up an old thread guys!

Does anyone know how/where I can find my current software version with a VCDS/VAGCOM?

I would like to see if I have the following installed already (before I visit Audi and pay them for the priveledge to either not do it or tell me it's already installed)

The TPI number is 2010289/3 (it also worded gearbox judder poor acceleration when changing gears at high revs)

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Sorry to wake up an old thread guys!

Does anyone know how/where I can find my current software version with a VCDS/VAGCOM?

I would like to see if I have the following installed already (before I visit Audi and pay them for the priveledge to either not do it or tell me it's already installed)

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
You can find your current version within 01 - Engine:

Screen Shot 2017 05 01 at 111510

If you are in or around North London I am able to perform the needed update and have completed this for a good number of forum members already :)

Reactions: Derick Roche
Hi DJ,

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

With regard to the information shown on the software screen, please could you advise what I should expect to see next to LABELS and COMPONENT assuming my car has been updated to the latest version (I'm only asking as you have underlined those parts in RED)?

E.g

LABELS: 2010289/3 ???
COMPONENT: MOTRONIC
CURRENT VERSION: 7001 ???

I'm sorry but I can't seem to make sense of what all these parts should indicate if it's updated to latest version. I can see you have indicated with an arrow the software version in the attachment, what software version is the update I need to check I have or need?

Any more advice would be highly appreciated :)

Also I live in Eastbourne - if your ever down this way I would be happy for you to do the update if required - I would pay you a good rate.

Thanks

Rick

Normally what you would be looking for is what I have labeled as "current version". The version in the image I attached is an example of a problematic revision. Anything 7001 or before normally exhibits the issues people are talking about here. As for the items underlined in red, apologies, thats my Mac highlighting what it believes are spelling mistakes lol

Looking at the screenshot you have provided... I am a little confused to be honest. Your ECU hardware revision is stated as 022 906 032 GP but its running 022 906 032 KC firmware, version 1282. Although its not uncommon for ECM's to run different firmware to hardware I am a little surprised to see it with this ECU :/

Now, I have just downloaded the most up to date data packages from the Audi FTP servers and can see that v1282 is the most up to date firmware for the "KC", however I can see x2 updates for the "GP", what I would expect actually, versions 8909 and 9970. Problem is I am not sure how to approach this as basically VCDS, am assuming its an up to date version, is stating that you have the most up to date firmware. In order to look at this further I would need to go online while connected to your car via ODIS and see what the Software Version Management process reports.

Hi Alix,

Thanks for your very detailed response.

I generated that report with V.16.8.3.

I have just downloaded V.17.1.3 and the same result.

So basically what you are saying is that my software dosent really match up with my hardware BUT this could be normal?

"x2 updates for the "GP", what I would expect actually, versions 8909 and 9970"
- how can i check i have both the 8909 and 9970 installed if this is even important?

Lastly do you know how to verify if the update for the fault i originally referenced to is installed? (The SVM code for the update is 8P01A005)

I dont quite know what to do now, you are a little far out to come to Eastbourne arent you?

I really appreciate all your help on this so far bud! :)

Thanks,

Rick

So basically what you are saying is that my software dosent really match up with my hardware BUT this could be normal

Yes, kinda... but I am finding this a little strange in your case as its the first time I have seen a 3.2 8P ECU report like this.

Hi Alix,
how can i check i have both the 8909 and 9970 installed if this is even important?

Typically, unless there was an error in the code, 9970 will incorporate 8909 and all of the revisions that came before it in some form. Unfortunately you cannot check without going to a dealer or authorised 3rd party as your ECU is reporting the current version for the 022 906 032 KC firmware, version 1282, and this is the most up to date firmware. What I am finding strange is that the revision number is way too low. I have seen A LOT of 3.2 8P's and the lowest ECU firmware revision I have seen to date is 5604. Long story short the authorised dealer / 3rd party would connect to your car and go online and complete a process which would tell them which update would need to be applied, if any, as opposed to making a manual choice...

Lets put it this way, with the information you provided it would seem that "manually" there is no further update for your vehicle. I more or less know that this is incorrect and am willing to bet that you will need the 9970 - 022 906 032 GP update applying, however I am not one to take chances so I would want VW's official workshop tool to tell me whats needed, hence the online connection reference.

Lastly do you know how to verify if the update for the fault i originally referenced to is installed? (The SVM code for the update is 8P01A005)

If the update had been applied already I would expect to see a current firmware version of somewhere between 8000 to 9999. Only other way to tell would be for a main dealer workshop to plug in and view the update history of the vehicle via the online network.

Very interesting post that I will be keeping my eye on. I have a 2007 3.2 with DSG but I don't have any issues or symptoms that would warrant the update. With that said I'll have a check on VCDS today to see what my firmware number is. I'll let you know if it's similar to yours Derick

I have just checked mine and it is displaying the exact same information as Derick. I'm not too keen to mess with it though since the car is running fine.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 KC HW: 022 906 032 GP
Component and/or Version: A3-3.2-DQ-EU4 1282
Software Coding: 0000178
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 56A5F003E1858F91657-8003

I have just checked mine and it is displaying the exact same information as Derick. I'm not too keen to mess with it though since the car is running fine.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 KC HW: 022 906 032 GP
Component and/or Version: A3-3.2-DQ-EU4 1282
Software Coding: 0000178
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 56A5F003E1858F91657-8003

Thanks for checking bud.

I'm a bit disappointed as I figured if yours was showing different software I would have bit more ammo to get a fix.

I suppose it is possible that they only apply the "correct " software if you report issues though?

Apart from the occasional clunk in the gearbox when changing down through 3-2-1 (mines a DSG by the way) my main issue is MPG, I have read this update drastically improves MPG.

What sort of MPG do you get (town driving, stop start and short runs constant)

I get around 19mpg, 220-230 miles per tank (£60-70 per tank)

Cheers,

Rick

Mine is DSG too and it's always been smooth on the changes.

MPG varies depending on how it's driven but with normal frugal driving I average 26mpg and on a nice run I can just about hit 30/31mpg. The lowest I've seen is around 21/22.

You can always check for other things such as tyre pressure, binding brakes, injectors etc. Maybe try some injector cleaner?

There's also a DSG recalibration you can do with VCDS apparently. I've never done it or seen it done but my mate did it to his 2008 TT with the same engine and it made a massive difference.

Reactions: DJ_26 and Derick Roche

MPG varies depending on how it's driven but with normal frugal driving I average 26mpg and on a nice run I can just about hit 30/31mpg. The lowest I've seen is around 21/22.

You can always check for other things such as tyre pressure, binding brakes, injectors etc. Maybe try some injector cleaner?

There's also a DSG recalibration you can do with VCDS apparently. I've never done it or seen it done but my mate did it to his 2008 TT with the same engine and it made a massive difference.

There must definitely be something wrong with mine then! :(

I have been driving like a grandad recently to try any bring the MPG up, and the most i can get is 19 mpg.

When i first got the car, i occasionally hammered it here and there and got around 16 mpg.

Would you mind letting me know if you worked out the MPG yourself or used the Average MPG readout from the DIS?

I have found the instantaneous MPG readout to be absolute rubbish, it always shows figures between 30-50 mpg....this is a false readout.

How many miles do you get to a tank by the way?

Cheers,

Rick

Yes, kinda... but I am finding this a little strange in your case as its the first time I have seen a 3.2 8P ECU report like this.

Typically, unless there was an error in the code, 9970 will incorporate 8909 and all of the revisions that came before it in some form. Unfortunately you cannot check without going to a dealer or authorised 3rd party as your ECU is reporting the current version for the 022 906 032 KC firmware, version 1282, and this is the most up to date firmware. What I am finding strange is that the revision number is way too low. I have seen A LOT of 3.2 8P's and the lowest ECU firmware revision I have seen to date is 5604. Long story short the authorised dealer / 3rd party would connect to your car and go online and complete a process which would tell them which update would need to be applied, if any, as opposed to making a manual choice...

Lets put it this way, with the information you provided it would seem that "manually" there is no further update for your vehicle. I more or less know that this is incorrect and am willing to bet that you will need the 9970 - 022 906 032 GP update applying, however I am not one to take chances so I would want VW's official workshop tool to tell me whats needed, hence the online connection reference.

If the update had been applied already I would expect to see a current firmware version of somewhere between 8000 to 9999. Only other way to tell would be for a main dealer workshop to plug in and view the update history of the vehicle via the online network.

Thanks for all your help on this Alix.

I really appreciate the effort you have put in to this thread for me! :)

Going by the other poster who has the same software i can only figure that the software ''is correct'' IF you are not experiencing issues, in light of issues Audi probably update to the GP software.

Either way there is something way off with my MPG, the other poster is getting WAY more than me so the car will need looking at.

My only option now is to visit Audi and go through all this info with them.

I would like to pay you a little something via paypal for your time - please send me an email so i can do so bud :)

Thanks again mate.

I use the computer for my mpg readout. Not the lifetime one but the static figure over time, if that makes sense.

I get around 350 miles per tank dependent on how it's driven.

So your using the lifetime average MPG readout (the one that stays near enough the same all the time and only changes in small amounts)

With the lifetime average MPG readout it shows 19mpg this sometimes drops to 18.8 or increases to 19.2 etc slowly over time.

The instantaneous readout is the one that jumps between really low mpg to really high mpg, for example could be showing 20 mpg one minute and then 50 mpg the next.

****** hell I can just get around 220 miles per tank and that's driving really sensibly.

I'm definitely going to need to get the motor looked at! :(

Any more pointers other than clean the injectors to improve the mpg?

The car is excessively well serviced and the tire pressures are spot on.

When I say I can hear a clunk when the car is changing down 3-2-1 ( it's not so much of a clunk but can you HEAR the actuators punching the gears into position??)

Thanks,

Rick

Reactions: DJ_26

Did this recalibration Increase the mpg significantly or do something else?

Sounds like I need this update too, but no idea what version FrankenAudi has installed (my guess is "Flintstone" ;-))

I think the DSG calibration is just for smooth changes. The box learns your driving style but sometimes the ECU does not adapt and that's why you might get the clunks and jerky changes. I'm no expert on this but it's worth looking into for sure.

Check that none of your calipers are binding. After a drive touch each brake disc. They will be hot but if one is ridiculously hot compared to the others you know you calipers might be sticking or seized.

The instantaneous MPG reading is meant to move around rapidly. If you are going up hill or putting your foot down it will drop low like to 10-15, if you are steadily cruising it will be higher around 30-50. It's based on how the car is driven. These live readings gradually influence the 'static' reading over time.

S
When I say I can hear a clunk when the car is changing down 3-2-1 ( it's not so much of a clunk but can you HEAR the actuators punching the gears into position??)

I think mine does the same sort of clunk too, mostly after having my flywheel changed. It's like a a quick "ga-dunk" noise from gear 2 to 1, as you are slowing down to a stop.

I think the DSG calibration is just for smooth changes. The box learns your driving style but sometimes the ECU does not adapt and that's why you might get the clunks and jerky changes. I'm no expert on this but it's worth looking into for sure.

That's a useful note, I am going to try get that calibration done on my own car after the next DSG service (few thousand miles left).

Check that none of your calipers are binding. After a drive touch each brake disc. They will be hot but if one is ridiculously hot compared to the others you know you calipers might be sticking or seized.

The instantaneous MPG reading is meant to move around rapidly. If you are going up hill or putting your foot down it will drop low like to 10-15, if you are steadily cruising it will be higher around 30-50. It's based on how the car is driven. These live readings gradually influence the 'static' reading over time.

Hi mate,

I will mention the recalibration to my local Audi specialist and see what they say.

I'm aware the instantaneous mpg will jump around.

It's the average mpg that worries me, no matter how carefully I drive - at best I can only achieve 19mpg :(

I did have one binding caliper about 2 months ago, this was sorted and has made no difference.

I think mine does the same sort of clunk too, mostly after having my flywheel changed. It's like a a quick "ga-dunk" noise from gear 2 to 1, as you are slowing down to a stop.

Hi,

That's the one ga-dunk sounds about right! Ha ha.

At least it's not only me that can hear it - I do have very sensitive hearing mind so maybe you do to?!? Ha ha.

Do you have a 3.2 DSG? If so what sort of MPG do you get and how many miles roughly to a full tank? (Town driving, stop start, short runs - constant is my driving situation)

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

That's a useful note, I am going to try get that calibration done on my own car after the next DSG service (few thousand miles left).

Sounds like I need this update too, but no idea what version FrankenAudi has
installed (my guess is "Flintstone" ;-))
What's your hardware and software numbers? Are they the same as mine?

Dj26

Hi,

That's the one ga-dunk sounds about right! Ha ha.

At least it's not only me that can hear it - I do have very sensitive hearing mind so maybe you do to?!? Ha ha.

Do you have a 3.2 DSG? If so what sort of MPG do you get and how many miles roughly to a full tank? (Town driving, stop start, short runs - constant is my driving situation)

Your feedback would be much appreciated.