3.2 quattro water pump

imotepify

Reaction score
We have finally got our hands on the A4 and just wondering if we should replace anything like the water pump to be on the safe side on our other cars we have always changed the cambelt ect have any o you guys had the pump changed and how much was the work? The cars on 125300 ish miles.

I would try a google image search first, as most modern cars drive the water pump from the cambelt, so possibly wont be just a quick/cheap job.

as above the cambelt runs it
the pump is cheap but the full job is a fukker

I have been told that some cars have the water pump driven by the cambelt but why would you drive a pump from the cam chain/belt when there is an aux belt? If the pump fails it would fudge the lot before you could pull over. I was told this on my old v6 but turned out that people just change the pump at the same time as the cambelt because they think it will save on the £££ even though it was driven by the aux belt. Cant find much about the 3.2 v6 water pump but is cam chain not belt if that makes a difference lol

Well if its chain thats at least good news, Ive just done some googling and theres very little info out there.

Reactions: imotepify
If you can look down from the top with a torch at the belt and the pulleys, get someone to start it and watch each pulley in turn as its stops and starts, if the belt stays central pulley is good, if is shifts a little to one side or another when starting or stopping that pulley and whatever its attached to needs attention.
Rare for the flat belts to fail for no reason, usually a pulley fault, tensioner is favourite as it moves on an arc and the pivot assy wears.
Is the engine fitted to any of the bigger models?

They do a 3.2 A6. My belt failed due to a rabbit in the under tray we believe :) decapitated and everything. God knows how it got in there. Belt made a right mess though broke all the plastic flaps off from the radiator as well as buggering my fan. The tensioners etc were checked just incase.

They do a 3.2 A6. My belt failed due to a rabbit in the under tray we believe :) decapitated and everything. God knows how it got in there. Belt made a right mess though broke all the plastic flaps off from the radiator as well as buggering my fan. The tensioners etc were checked just incase.

Bunny killer!

Reactions: rizzini7