3.2 Pollen Filter

clem2192

Reaction score
I am going to replace the pollen filter on my A3 3.2. It has started steaming up a bit recently and I am unsure as to when it was last changed.

I believe it is located somewhere in the passenger footwell but can someone please confirm?!
Pics would be very helpful!

I assume this an easy job but does anyone have a how to or any comments?

Cheers!

Ryan

Steaming up? The pollen filter should be dry.

Its under the glovebox. If you look, there is two plastic clips that hold the grey foam in place, remove these & pull the foam out of the way. You will then see the bottom of the filter housing. there is a panel that you slide sideways in the dirction of the arrow and remove. You will then see the bottom of the filter, just need to man handle it out & new one in.

I read somewhere that if the pollen filter is knackered this can make the front windscreen to steam up more easy.....is this not the case?

Ah well, if not I dont know the last time it was changed so cant do any harm!!

Thanks for the information

also if you havn't bought the filter yet, can be bought quite cheap from audi-garages on ebay

This steaming up has started happening to mine, it never occured to me that the pollen filter would be responsible!

Minsta - where did you pick one up from for £8?

Smoothie - I checked ebay for an audi-garages seller but they dont seem to exist, any chance of a link please mate?

Cheers

Cheers Smoothie - I take it all 8P A3's have the same pollen filter...

Steaming up? -There can be NO possible connection... the whole idea is laughable!

First make sure you're not using recirculated air... that's one thing which people don't tend to realise.

Using the A/C with NO recirc. will dry the air and prevent steaming up.

Keith

you used to get it on the old A3 if the clip in the scuttle tray wasnt in right so all the rainwater ran into the car.

Cheers for the comments guys!

I brought mine from a place called Zak Parts (zakparts.com) for £6.70 plus postage!

Will give it a go at the weekend when it turns up!

Just changed mine, years of crud in it. Took 2 mins, piece of cake :)

Changed mine last night....the old one wasnt in a too bad a condition but was dirty and had some rubbish in it so thought may as well change it whilst it was out!

Thanks guys!

Just changed my pollen filter over, it was pretty grim and even contained little bits of twigs'n'leaves which in turn may have been responsible for the dampness. T'was a nice straight forward swap, cheers for the tip Khufu.

Steaming up? -There can be NO possible connection... the whole idea is laughable!

First make sure you're not using recirculated air... that's one thing which people don't tend to realise.

Using the A/C with NO recirc. will dry the air and prevent steaming up.

Keith

VWaddict - When checking out pollen filters I came across this - Bosch Automotive Aftermarket - Cabin filters - Do-it-yourself ... Bosch seem to concur with the OP that the pollen filter can/will be responsible for steaming up the windows...

Last edited:
so its a pretty easy change? i just got a brand new OEM one for £4 delivered of ebay, just bought it because it was a bargain lol

Changed my pollen filter over the weekend, was in a right old mess. Bought the filter from Lincoln Audi off the bay. Since learnt that there are 2 types, an active carbon and a paper filter. Think the original was the active carbon version as it was different to the paper filter I replaced it with, also different part numbers. May have to keep an eye on this as I gather the carbon filters are for AC/Climate control?

Anyone else using a paper filter with AC/Climate control?

**It wasn't expensive so have no problem replacing it as and when it starts to look a bit shabby, plus it has already made a difference in terms of how 'fresh' the CC now feels.

Last edited:
Could be wrong, but I believe that the activated carbon pollen filter is meant to be used in all cars fitted with climate control (aircon). The simple paper filter is for cars with only a heater. This makes sense since there is always an issue with the aircon heat exchanger getting damp and causing a smell in the car.