3.2 Car tax....

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

Our tax is up the end of this month. DOn't know wether to get just 6 months then 12 months. Or get 12 months now....

Just wondering when the tax jumps up to its stupid level..... I.e i want to buy it at its cheapest!

Any ideas?

Just get 6 months now, then cash it in in February, and then buy a year before it goes up in March. Then you wont be paying the higher rate til 2010!

Yeah that was the idea really. Will i be able to cash it in and then near enough stright away get 12 months?

Cheers

I dont see why not. Failing that, just get the new one and cash the old one in as soon as you recieve that. Only problem i can see is that they dont allow you to tax the same vehicle twice - but if they dont allow that, they should allow you to do it at the same time! Thats what i'll be trying!

Just get 6 months now, then cash it in in February, and then buy a year before it goes up in March. Then you wont be paying the higher rate til 2010!

Spookily enough, our fab government has seen this loop hole and closed it. Taken from a DVLA release to franchised dealers.....

Tax changes from Jan 2009 The DVLA says a restriction on VED refunds is being introduced to reduce unnecessary transactions and tax avoidance. From 1 January 2009 refunds will be restricted to the registered keeper of a vehicle and will only be applicable when DVLA is notified that a vehicle has been stolen, destroyed, become eligible for a nil licence, declared SORN or permanently exported.

Just for those of you planning to cash in your tax discs early in feb and re-tax at the old rates before they rocket up. Not that anyone was planning that of course.

At least **** Turpin had the decency to wear a mask...!
Oh well - December it is then...