3.0tdi V6 B8 reliability/ chains

JordanV6

Reaction score
just recently picked up an audi a5 on 138k off my friend, it’s currently stage 1 map and gearbox, dpf, egr, swirl flap delete mid to back exhaust (sounds awesome). service history looks okay with mileage being around every 10k, drives like it’s done half the mileage, it’s a ZF6 I think (tip-tronic). What are chains like on this engine, there’s no record of the chains been done or gearbox in fact, but everything else looks okay, it’s had door locks, suspension parts, battery, starter motor in the past 2 years, I’m now the 4th owner which I don’t think is bad for a 58 plate. I’ve seen prices for the chains are around 2-3k engine out job which I don’t like the sound of, the gearbox will be getting a service in the near future, Any info is Handfull to know..

2-3k for an engine out isn't that bad of a quote if the chain and tensoners are done, as that's the last thing to worry about for another 120k+. A brief rattle on a cold startup is normal. Do you get any now?

As for gearbox related things, i'm none the wiser. I can't remember if one of the tuners on here has the one with the ZF6 in it or not, but that thing is doing 600BHP / 1100nm just fine.

2-3k for an engine out isn't that bad of a quote if the chain and tensoners are done, as that's the last thing to worry about for another 120k+. A brief rattle on a cold startup is normal. Do you get any now?

As for gearbox related things, i'm none the wiser. I can't remember if one of the tuners on here has the one with the ZF6 in it or not, but that thing is doing 600BHP / 1100nm just fine.
No it’s very quiet what sort of rattle am I expecting, is it obvious? I plan to keep the car about a year maybe longer depending on if I get something else I might keep this along side a new car in the future, it’s a lot of money to spend on a 14 year old car if I got the chains done and a gearbox service plus another service in less than a years time it’s like 3.5-4k

It sounds like the name, a chain rattling. On a high mileage engine it is normal to get some briefly on a cold startup, audibly lasting about a second at most. If you don't hear it now or barely get any, I don't imagine it'll be a problem any time soon. A good oil service is your friend. A part of me wishes I had kept my A5 B8 3.0TDI for the weekend / special occasion. Enjoy yours, mate.