3.0tdi swirl flap arm repair kits - o-ring?

bhodgkiss

Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently bought an A4 B8 3.0 tdi avant (CAPA engine), and whilst checking the condition of the swirl flap to motor arms the other day, I noticed the driver arm wasn't even attached to the swirl flap at the bottom end, and more worryingly, the lower plastic cam piece wasn't even present for the arm to plug onto!

No clip or anything. It's been remapped so I think the swirl flaps must have been mapped out, as there;s no dash light on

This looks to have been causing a boost leak for I don't know how long...... there is the residue from oil mist all over the drive side rear of the engine bay, rearwards of the hole that's been left open.

Karl on here was kind enough to give me the plastic cam piece and clip from a kit he had when I saw him last week, but I think I'm also missing an o-ring and spacer piece as shown in the link below?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intake-M...-A7-A8-Q7-2-7-3-0-TDI-059198212-/153257693652

I don't have any of the small pieces along the bottom. So the brass piece with the o-ring in, and the plastic ring (spacer?). I presume I need all these bits.

Im surprised a lot of the kits don't come with these smaller bits?

Does anyone have an assembly drawing showing all these bits, like an Audi exploded assembly view, or something from elsawin etc?

Many thanks

Last edited:
If you have had it mapped and deleted then that is the best news for you. They are for emissions only and are a pain in the ****.

What you need is a bolt to fill the hole.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

The swirl flaps help air turbulence and air mixing at low loads. This does indeed help with emissions as it improves fuel mixing and burning in your engine.
This also helps with response and power at low loads, your car will happily run without them but it will run better with them.
If they've been mapped out then I guess you'll struggle to get them mapped in again so the bolt is probably the best option.

Interesting idea tapping the hole and putting a bolt in. Unfortunately they don't provide an M10 1.5mm tap in the kit, I suppose they expect you will have one. Also you would need to get the flaps mapped out, which wouldn't be that hard a job for somebody who knows what they are doing but beyond the scope of more normal people.
Audi Don't sell the smaller pieces of the plastic manifold where the flaps are as they sell that as a complete piece. The smaller pieces and repair kits are manufactured mostly in China.
@bobby singh Do you know what that is sitting on top of the turbo in the video?. Looks like possibly something to do with Meth injection but it gets pretty hot on top there.

Last edited:
Im working a ccwa atm with a darkside hybrid on it. I noticed a boost leak from the RHD bank, basically the plastic lever was broken. Done a swirl flap delete and threaded the hole with a m10 tap and put a bolt it in (put some sealant on the threads).

Karl that’s basically a soot collector for emp line for example. However, I use a emp sensor which doesn’t clog up when mounted correctly.

On a side note I wouldn’t recommend using their hybrid - its a emp generator.

Cheers
Bobby

Attachments

• 3B91ABD7-ABC4-4FD4-9C6E-4CE4965E4FD7.jpeg
    3B91ABD7-ABC4-4FD4-9C6E-4CE4965E4FD7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 227
Thanks guys

Surely it's easiest if i just fit the standard o-ring?

Does anyone have one with the brass piece (and plastic spacer) in a kit they bought that they haven't used?

Also which way round it all fits. Should I need the black plastic piece? I could take the other side apart to look I guess, but I'd rather not touch it!

Which part do you need? See attached
Note the black lever is broken so thats no use

Attachments

• 2E77CACA-ACAC-423D-9588-D6AD78BC6D4E.jpeg
    2E77CACA-ACAC-423D-9588-D6AD78BC6D4E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
Hi Bobby,
Fab, yes the black plastic ring on the left, and the brass looking ring (middle bottom) with o-ring on the outside, if possible?