3.0tdi start up rattle

Mat196

Reaction score
Hi I know there are a few threads on this. I have managed to catch the noise/rattle I have on start up on a video so I thought of I post or on here maybe people with the same rattle have fixed it and could share with me what they changed to resolve this noise?

The symptoms are, 1st start up of the day or when the engine is cool there is a rattle coming from the engine. I have had someone start the car while I listen more closely under the bonnet and noise is coming from the drivers side cam chain area. I personally think it's the drivers side top chain tensioner that has worn, but would just like some more opinions of people who have had a similar noise.

Il try to get another video but from under the bonnet, the noise should be clearer then.

Yeah or if I left it a few hours so it was completely cold it would do it again. I've just gone out to do start it again and recorded it on video. I could hear the noise bit couldn't on the video I recorded. I think I may be going mad and there isn't a noise and it could just be me!
Haha

OK so this morning the car was it's worst it's been. It wouldn't start up 1st time like it normally would and when it did start up the rattle/rumble was there a lot longer than normal!!
Once it stops the noise is gone and it drives fine. It won't do this noise on start up now til maybe 1730 when it's been left to cool down all day.
It really doesn't sound healthy and may take the car off the road until it's been fixed as I don't want to cause more damage than good! I just hope I can get some help with the diagnosis and then get it back on the road ASAP!

Hmm that sounds more than cam chain rattle to me Mat, is it manual or auto, if it's manual try starting it with the clutch down, possibly the dual mass rumbling.

Yeah it's manual. I've tried that incase it was the dual mass but doesn't make a difference. It's strange how it goes away after 10 seconds or so and then doesn't make the noise again until it's stone cold.
I've been to tps today during work and bought a service kit for it and done a full service on it.
Shall see what tomorrow brings!! I've spoken with a friend who has a pretty reliable mechanic and has also said if it needs to be in the garage for a couple of days will be able to lend me a small car to get to n from work, so that is going to be the next step if it isn't cured!

I would seriously limit the mileage you do till this is sorted. It really isn't good to ignore this kind of noise as it usually ends in a very big repair bill.

I tried servicing it today and it hasn't resolved the issue.

So the next step is to take it off the road and try to get a diagnosis of what it is. I personally think it's chain tensioners but not 100%.
There is some good news to come of this situation :yes:
Upon picking my service kit up from my local TPS I bumped into an old supervisor who left the company I worked at with him and now he's the parts manager at my local TPS! I told him the trouble I was having and he said he would get me the best prices he could using staff discount ect on parts I needed! Looks like it paid off being a good employee for him!
I am looking at removing the turbo and changing the top 2 tensioners and see where it goes from there!