3.0tdi front belt change

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Lots of jobs to do but thinking ahead.
I will be fitting a new serpentine belt and tensioner and I thought about the water pump and thermostat. Just wondering if it is the norm on these engines to change water pump and thermostat?

Water pump for defo while your in there depending on mileage thermostat you can reach with it all built back up but for £33 while your splitting coolant I’d do it they can be a pig to bleed back up.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,
Lots of jobs to do but thinking ahead.
I will be fitting a new serpentine belt and tensioner and I thought about the water pump and thermostat. Just wondering if it is the norm on these engines to change water pump and thermostat?
I've just done this job on my 3.0tdi, no harm in changing the water pump but it's not under as much tension as any of the belt driven engines e.g 1.9tdi. The main reason they are changed every time with the belt on other engines is that if it goes it effects the timing of the engine and can cause serious damage. If it fails on our engines its not as serious a problem and they last alot longer. Just check all the pulleys are ok and the tensioner for the belt is okay and your good to go. Not too bad of a job either I just did it by moving the whole front end forward into the service position and got my hands down there. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: BakPak
Sound advice thanks, where is the thermostat on the 3.0tdi?

324ab629fe2fcfe109cc04dd10cb5322.jpg
d0e132fea432fdd9100cbe512a87b7ac.jpg

Look to left where the large hose is that thermostat housing just under fuel pump weight

Reactions: BakPak
Excellent pictures mate do you know of any complete kits with belt, pump and thermostat?

No they all come separate from what I’ve seen check belt tensioner as well they are common mine lasted just over 5 yrs and I changed it while it was in bits a T65 torx rings a bell on tensioner a few quid but while your in there check fuel pump belt and tensioner too

Quick question please. The aircon hasn't worked for at least 6 years and I have no intention of spending silly money trying to sort it.
Basically when I get the belt changed is there any point in removing the aircon pump? I appreciate the belt has to route around the pump, I've just heard of occasions when the aircon pump pulley (or clutch) seizes wrecking the belt. Am I worrying about nothing, I just hate the idea that an unused and unwanted pump has the potential to cause problems?
Thanks Mark.