3.0tdi engine in 2.0 tdi 2007??

Steven collins

Reaction score
Would it be possible to replace the 2.0 TDI engine with a 3.0 TDI in a a4 2007

I have no idea and would be interested in the answer. May I ask why you're thinking of doing this rather than just buying 3.0tdi?

If the 2.0 is non quattro then you will have to swap all the transmission to quattro

Mine is quattro and I don't want to sell to get a 3.0 litre as I can get a hold of the engines for a good price

I shall keep an interested eye on this one. Maybe if you do go ahead it would be an interesting thread?

You wouldn't necessarily have to fit it into a quattro car but that amount of torque and power through the front wheels would be interesting and result in some spectacular power under steer.
The amount of time and effort required to do this with exhausts, electrics, cooling system, intercoolers etc it's just not worth it. You would just sell the existing car and buy a 3.0.
I am not sure about the B7 but I know on the B8 the 2.0 TDI cars use a different gearbox type to the 3.0 TDI cars due to the extra torque produced by the engine.

Karl.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible considering we can fit a v8 4.2 lump under the bonnet. So quite frankly it should seem straight forward even the engine mounts are in the same place.

Exhaust would be pretty straight forward as you only really need the manifold from both cylinder banks to join onto your existing system. inter-cooler you could run a custom one rather than going for a factory fit as there is enough room in the front to fit one.

Electrics would be the main one. But I would think again get a 3.0 computer box and wireloom. and should be set.

Reactions: Steven collins
Of course it's possible, Audi have already done it, You can look in the autotrader and buy one. But why would you go to all the effort and expense when You could buy the car you are trying to create for less than it's going to cost you. And in the end you would have a car that wouldn't be as good as the one you could have bought because you won't get everything right.
The 3.0 TDI uses and ML450 transmission the 450 being the torque rating of the box. The 2.0 uses the ML350 so are you going to replace the transmission as well. The diff ratios are different, there are bigger brakes on the 3.0 etc etc.

Karl.

Reactions: Darren92
This tru what you saying but that takes out the fun of the entire process. As the saying goes "built not bought" because yes one can go buy a 3.0 tdi but that is easy.

So rather than trying to deter the man of what he wants to achieve, why not support his ambition and goal?

Take olly on the forum for example bought his DTM for x amount dropped about 10 to 12k on mods. Smokes Audi RS 4s all day. Reality is he could have bought a RS4 for 18 to 20k. But again what project would that be or fun in that?

Just my thought and view on it.

Reactions: BaileyA3 and Steven collins
I know what you are saying and I am trying to support the OP by pointing out that it's not just a case of bolting an engine in, there is a significant amount of work and effort required. I suspect he doesn't appreciate how much work and effort it would be judging by the question.
If you look at the price difference between what he has and a 3.0 TDI it's not that much.

karl.

Guess it depends upon a number of factors, technically the car is a big mecano kit and as the manufacturer already offers that engine in the bodyshell you already have, its just a case of sourcing all of the bits that go with the 3.0 tdi lump and tranny.

If you were hell bent on doing this, would the best way to approach the project with a salvaged 3.0 tdi engined car - one that had a rear end shunt would be ideal ? That way you could (hopefully) have all the bits you need (the list gets longer as I think about it!) to hand........... The question remains on resources available; skill set, time, facilities and space to complete the work etc etc and of course the money.

If it were me (and I know your not obviously !) I would be with Karl in so much as I'd sell my existing car and buy an original 3.0 tdi of the same spec (or better) than I already had, but thats cos I wouldn't wish to dedicate my resources that type of project (I have too many concurrent 4 wheeled projects underway as it is !!)

But echoing Giosabcsi, I'd say if thats what you'd like to build, then go for it, and I'll be pleased and interested to follow your build thread !

Which ever way you decide, good luck and all the best !! :thumbs up:

Gary

Reactions: Giosabcsl
As above, if you're doing it because you want a project, it can be done, but it is not as simple as swapping one engine for another. If on the other hand you're doing it because you want to drive a 3.0tdi rather than a 2.0tdi... sell the 2.0tdi and buy a 3.0tdi, it will be a whole lot less hassle!

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Sorry Steven, but anybody with the knowledge and experience to do this would know the answer to the question you asked.
They would know what a big undertaking it was and what was involved. I look forward to seeing the build

Yeah thanks for the positive thoughts and comments people and to be fair I only asked if a 3.0litre would fit in a 2.0 car I I don't expect people to say ohh he can't know how much work and effort goes into or appreciate it i have replaced my Scooby engine twice in 4 year with my bro so we are far from inexperienced to do the work so thanks I will be going ahead with the build keep you posted