1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0Tdi auto ATF change

piglet14 Jul 11, 2018

1. piglet14

piglet14 Finally got my midlife crisis car

Can the ATF be changed by draining & filling?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Nathan Russell

Nathan Russell Active Member Team Phantom Team V6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Yes mate. Although its a lengthy process. Some videos on youtube that will help.

4. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

To properly service it you should remove the transmission sump and clean the magnets on there and replace the suction filter within it.

Beware that the transmissions are built in clean rooms, so servicing them on your driveway isn’t advised. The oil is usually filtered to have particles no bigger than 3 microns...... as well as no contaminants internally to the same standard. I believe ZF “fill for life” to avoid people servicing them and getting contaminants in the system which will cause a whole hill of problems!

Places like 3D Transmissions in Reading can do this for you, to the correct cleanliness level.

5. piglet14

I had a quick look on YTube and a full flush including filter & magnets doesn't look like a DIY job to me.

6. MPP

MPP Active Member

I looked into last year, you can't get everything you need and diy but there's so much risk of contamination it's worth it.
    If it's not broke don't fix it comes to mind.

Changed the rear diff oil tho, easy enough.

7. piglet14

What about the front diff?

8. MPP

MPP Active Member

Shared with gearbox.

9. piglet14

Diff in ATF?

10. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

Which diff are you referring to, the Torsen diff, which takes a specific super expensive oil as yes it can be changed, or the open front diff, which again yes can be changed. Here are the volumes and the different oil chambers

9l trans
    1.1l front final drive
    0.5l transfer/Torsen
    1.5l rear final drive

I had a quote from audi once for the oils and quickly decided against it, I will see if I can dig it out somewhere

11. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

This is full vehicle fluids quote from Audi with part numbers for my 05 A4 Avant 3.0TDI Quattro Auto. Part numbers, costs and all. This was June last year

[​IMG]

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. piglet14

Where is the labour charge on that?

14. OliNix

OliNix Active Member

There isn’t, that is just the fluids.....