3.0TDi air intake choked solid - despite full Audi history!

AndrewS

Reaction score
Evening folks,

Apologies if this is old news, I searched the forum and saw no reference to my weekend discovery so thought I'd share my findings here:

I've recently bought a one-owner A4 3.0TDi Quattro S-Line Avant with 50k miles and full Audi history from new - all at the supplying dealer. The car is terrific but, being a compulsive meddler, I set to work at the weekend starting with a headlamp bulb upgrade. To get access to the little buggers, I removed the air intake housing complete with intake duct/snorkel and, despite the full Audi history, (the last being only 1500 miles ago), I found the gauze pre-filter in the duct to be choked with a solid 3" thick wedge of leaves, straw, dust, gravel, feathers - you name it, it was in there!! In short, there has evidently been zero air flow through that duct for a matter of years I would guess. Amazingly, I didn't detect an obvious lack of power when driving it from sunny Somerset to snowy Scotland and it averaged almost 42mpg at 80mph (DIS). I haven't had the opportunity to drive it properly since cleaning out the duct, but it can only help..!

Andrew

If only the old "pay peanuts, get monkeys" mantra still rang true.

It's more like: "Pay truffles, get greedy pigs".

Air filter not due according to Audi service schedule til 60k. It's an awful idea IMO

It may not be due, but would think it's still meant to be checked
Years ago they used to be blown out most services if nit replaced, but health and safety stopped that.

Now we just remove debris and check they aren't clogged. Then replace if needed, or at set intervals.

Dealer servicing is minimal. Used to work for one. Expensive hourly rate and not alot of work for your money

I had this on a ED30 golf recently and a Skoda TDI - but both had full main dealer history.

I think they just drop the oil (actually suck up through the dip stick).

Cheers
Bobby

I had this on a ED30 golf recently and a Skoda TDI - but both had full main dealer history.

I think they just drop the oil (actually suck up through the dip stick).

Cheers
Bobby

Ya not wrong. Some don't drain through sump bung

Yup, not slating dealers, I still work for them ;)
But your better off using an independent or a tech who does cash work.
Dealer techs should be better trained and experianced generally. But more and more restrictions are put on time spent on the jobs, which means less is done sadly.

This is what makes me laugh, I do all my own servicing. All filters are changed every 10k miles (fuel filter every 20k), which is WAY sooner than Audis service schedule, using all genuine Audi parts (I have receipts). I only use castrol edge oil.
Yet my car is worth less than one with full Audi service history, it's crazy.

Air filter not due according to Audi service schedule til 60k. It's an awful idea IMO

mad but true. for the price what audi charge for a basic service you could have a full service every year from a independent garage. also I would change the air filter every 2 years if not every year!

This is what makes me laugh, I do all my own servicing. All filters are changed every 10k miles (fuel filter every 20k), which is WAY sooner than Audis service schedule, using all genuine Audi parts (I have receipts). I only use castrol edge oil.
Yet my car is worth less than one with full Audi service history, it's crazy.
a shame but true. every one wants full audi service history if not main dealer service history on any car but to be honest its minimal work and top money at main dealers for nothing. audi genuine parts are good but if you have a look on the badges they are made by someone else. Mann hummel filters FTW. they supply BMW, Merc and audi. we had a ferrari california in at work and a purflux oil filter was fitted to it which is OEM on a lot of french cars

Last edited:
What surprised me most is that the panel filter clearly has been replaced because it was pretty clean. It looks as if the individual carrying out the work wasn't aware of the pre-filter in the duct - I assume that is common knowledge..?!

Last edited:
What surprised me most is that the panel filter clearly has been replaced because it was pretty clean. It's looks as if the individual carrying out the work wasn't aware of the pre-filter in the duct - I assume that is common knowledge..?!

I had to remove the trunking on mine a couple of weeks ago, to replace a blown bulb in the offside headlight. The filter wasn't quite as blocked as your description suggests yours was, but it was a bit clagged up, so I cleared it out. Can't really attribute it to poor servicing, as it was last serviced in April last year.